Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

No charges against Smollett

Not shocked but disappointed.  Faking a hate crime should carry the same punishment as the crime you alleged happened.  

https://apple.news/AK7PZGu1uRMy1bZV1SCL93Q

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

And the judge orders the case to be sealed.  Lol what kinda bullshit is that. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I favor leniency; however, I think a more compassionate outcome would have been for him to be required to wear a MAGA hat while in public for the remainder of Trump's presidency.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Guest RoscoesDad
54 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I guess this means that just because a person isn’t charged with a crime doesn’t mean they didn’t do anything wrong.

Solid.

16 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

I favor leniency; however, I think a more compassionate outcome would have been for him to be required to wear a MAGA hat while in public for the remainder of Trump's presidency.

I think he should have to pay for the costs he caused to the City of Chicago.  Perhaps CNN can cover most of it.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

39 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think he should have to pay for the costs he caused to the City of Chicago.  Perhaps CNN can cover most of it.

Well, it looks like he surrendered his $10,000 bond to the city.

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Well, it looks like he surrendered his $10,000 bond to the city.

good to hear.  I'm sure someone has tossed out an estimate of what this cost.  easily 6 figures I bet

2 hours ago, mugtang said:

Not shocked but disappointed.  Faking a hate crime should carry the same punishment as the crime you alleged happened.  

At the end of the day - prosecutors need solid evidence in order to convict - and will drop charges in cases when they don't think have enough.  Could be a lot of reasons for this (like witnesses refusing to testify or just being bad witnesses) or evidence wasn't collected properly and can't be used. The fact that this was flat out dropped instead of pled down to some lessor charge makes me think the state didn't have much evidence that he committed the crime.

2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

At the end of the day - prosecutors need solid evidence in order to convict - and will drop charges in cases when they don't think have enough.  Could be a lot of reasons for this (like witnesses refusing to testify or just being bad witnesses) or evidence wasn't collected properly and can't be used. The fact that this was flat out dropped instead of pled down to some lessor charge makes me think the state didn't have much evidence that he committed the crime.

I'm glad to hear that Emmanuel and other leadership in Chicago and Illinois are as disappointed as we all are.

14 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

True, but I fully expect Bob Kraft to 'get off' too.  I wonder what strategy his attorneys will take?

15 minutes ago, RamSack said:

True, but I fully expect Bob Kraft to 'get off' too.  I wonder what strategy his attorneys will take?

I think you're joking, but what crime did Kraft commit?  He hasn't even been charged of a crime, has he?

4 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I think you're joking, but what crime did Kraft commit?  He hasn't even been charged of a crime, has he?

He's been charged with two misdemeanor counts for "soliciting another to commit prostitution".

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

2 misdemeanor counts of solicitation of a prostitute. 

23 minutes ago, RamSack said:

Says he didn’t commit a crime. Paid for massage. Nothing else happened. If it did, recording was done in a manner that doesn’t meet the standard. Florida is a two-party consent state for video recording, and he would have reasonable assumption of privacy while naked in a massage room. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

He's been charged with two misdemeanor counts for "soliciting another to commit prostitution".

Ahh, I thought he was in a "legal" place.  Wasn't all of the hoopla around trafficking?  Oh well, doesn't matter.  One rich white guy and one poor black guy, and they're both getting off?  God bless America

3 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Ahh, I thought he was in a "legal" place.  Wasn't all of the hoopla around trafficking?  Oh well, doesn't matter.  One rich white guy and one poor black guy, and they're both getting off?  God bless America

1.4 mil gross a year is "poor"? Christ I should have gotten in to accounting!!!!!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I get the feeling the Chicago PD, Mayor and others associated with the initial investigation turned this into a media circus by sharing too much information in public. Something happened and no one will know whether it was a clean or dirty deal. Now lets see what happens with the Feds and the hate letter. One thing is for sure no holiday cards will be exchanged between the State and City of Chicago.

12 minutes ago, pokebball said:

One rich white guy and one rich black guy.