Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

Article: Lowest CFB attendance in decades

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-can-look-to-kiss-to-win-fans-back-after-lowest-average-attendance-in-22-years/

Interesting article on the trend of decreasing attendance within college football. Lowest attendance the MWC has ever had. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

Can't get the money from TV deals and enjoy the same level of attendance.....just doesn't work that way.

7 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

Can't get the money from TV deals and enjoy the same level of attendance.....just doesn't work that way.

Exactly. I'm part of a long time group of 12 season ticket holders who have/had tickets in Section D, right at mid-field. At least 6 of us are giving up our tickets this year. We'll probably just buy the least expensive season tickets for $99 with no seat premium or maybe just buy single game tickets. We'll miss our tailgate spot but all the late games just weren't worth it anymore.

I wonder how much money schools make from advertising at the game itself.  I think the advertising bombardment both in-person and on TV is a huge turn-off. 

Also - the fact is for a lot of people - sitting in a comfortable barcalounger with a scotch in front of the 72" UHDTV is a much better proposition than parking, crowds of people, overpriced pepsi, crappy nachos, a video board that plays mostly ads, no wifi or cell service, and night games in the cold with lengthy TV timeouts.  The gameday experience has to be better for the everyday fan.  Also - this is why there isn't a problem most places in selling the high-end box seating where you can do more to create your own experience.

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

pretty obvious reasons:

1. if the game is on CBS Sportschannel at your local bar why go?

I usually still go but many do not.

2. And the students now are obviously  different than 20+ years ago. Not into group 'rah-rah' stuff.

The internet and smaller attention spans will change sports.  People will still go to see professional athletes in huge markets.  Over time, i think the next generation, especially at smaller schools in smaller conferences, will show less interest in general in the game day experience as it is now.  Throw in late start times,  as you mentioned the ability to watch any game any time from the comfort of your home/bar,  it's not a good recipe.  College football needs to experiment with less timeouts, shorter timeouts, at least.  

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

College football needs to experiment with less timeouts, shorter timeouts, at least.  

I've got an idea.  Let's have some dip-shit who has never thrown a football in his life try to throw a football through a tire from 20 yards away for a chance to win a free set of tires.  It would be so entertaining...

This post brought to you by LES SCHWAB TIRE CENTER! Les Schwab Tire Centers bring you the best selection, quality, and service every time on tires, brakes, wheels, batteries, shocks, and alignment services. Click the ad below to schedule an appointment.

4 hours ago, Slapdad said:

This.  Made for TV football is almost unwatchable in person.  HS ball is much more fun to attend. 

3 hours ago, alum93 said:

The internet and smaller attention spans will change sports.  People will still go to see professional athletes in huge markets.  Over time, i think the next generation, especially at smaller schools in smaller conferences, will show less interest in general in the game day experience as it is now.  Throw in late start times,  as you mentioned the ability to watch any game any time from the comfort of your home/bar,  it's not a good recipe.  College football needs to experiment with less timeouts, shorter timeouts, at least.  

Go the aaf route. Yes.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 hours ago, Bob said:

reducing ticket prices and shortening games due to TV bullshit would be a good start to getting more fans

SDSU tickets have been raised for 2019 with the caveat that when the new stadium opens in 2022, season ticket availability will be prioritized by seniority. They should be able to get away with it since the new stadium will hold only 35K at least initially and I have no problem with that.

As to the TV BS, we're definitely on the same page. Watching SDSU football games live which are televised on CBSSN is brutal. Probably half again more timeouts than games which aren't so televised and many of them are phive phucking minutes long.:angry:

Boom goes the dynamite.

Guest #1Stunner

MWC averaged less than 25,000 per game?

from .

CONFERENCE AVG. ATTENDANCE (2018) CHANGE (FROM 2017) NOTE

SEC

-1.2 percent

Lowest since 2003

Big Ten

-1.3 percent

Lowest since 1993

Big 12

-0.6 percent

Lowest since 2003

ACC

+0.3 percent

Pac-12

-6.1 percent

Lowest since 1982

AAC

+0.8 percent

MWC

-4.4 percent

Lowest in history

C-USA

-1.9 percent

Lowest in history

Sun Belt

-2.5 percent

Lowest since 2007

MAC

+0.9 percent  

Ov

San Jose averaged about 14,400. That sure as hell didn't help.

Nevertheless, in the interests of helping the poor and downtrodden, the rest of us are pleased as punch to have the Spartans with us.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 hours ago, renoskier said:

Exactly. I'm part of a long time group of 12 season ticket holders who have/had tickets in Section D, right at mid-field. At least 6 of us are giving up our tickets this year. We'll probably just buy the least expensive season tickets for $99 with no seat premium or maybe just buy single game tickets. We'll miss our tailgate spot but all the late games just weren't worth it anymore.

When I was younger & being with the crowd was more fun, me and some buddies had UNLV FB season tickets from 1996 (1st WAC16 year) to 2006 - but we gave them up during the recession and as I moved into my 50's I've found the beer is a lot cheaper & better at home, the pee runs are shorter and no killing 6 to 7 hours at the stadium 

8 hours ago, madmartigan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-can-look-to-kiss-to-win-fans-back-after-lowest-average-attendance-in-22-years/

Interesting article on the trend of decreasing attendance within college football. Lowest attendance the MWC has ever had. 

I've been posting this reality over the last couple of months - It's a trend that isn't just a UNLV coaching problem, it's cutting across pretty much all sports in a lot of locations 

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I wonder how much money schools make from advertising at the game itself.  I think the advertising bombardment both in-person and on TV is a huge turn-off. 

Also - the fact is for a lot of people - sitting in a comfortable barcalounger with a scotch in front of the 72" UHDTV is a much better proposition than parking, crowds of people, overpriced pepsi, crappy nachos, a video board that plays mostly ads, no wifi or cell service, and night games in the cold with lengthy TV timeouts.  The gameday experience has to be better for the everyday fan.  Also - this is why there isn't a problem most places in selling the high-end box seating where you can do more to create your own experience.

Been saying this for years now. We've hit a tipping point in the live game vs. TV game experience. Programs have to learn to compete with added value and amenities without really increasing prices.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

13 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

San Jose averaged about 14,400. That sure as hell didn't help.

Nevertheless, in the interests of helping the poor and downtrodden, the rest of us are pleased as punch to have the Spartans with us.

Seems high did they mean 1,400?

15 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

MWC averaged less than 25,000 per game?

from .

CONFERENCE AVG. ATTENDANCE (2018) CHANGE (FROM 2017) NOTE

SEC

-1.2 percent

Lowest since 2003

Big Ten

-1.3 percent

Lowest since 1993

Big 12

-0.6 percent

Lowest since 2003

ACC

+0.3 percent

Pac-12

-6.1 percent

Lowest since 1982

AAC

+0.8 percent

MWC

-4.4 percent

Lowest in history

C-USA

-1.9 percent

Lowest in history

Sun Belt

-2.5 percent

Lowest since 2007

MAC

+0.9 percent  

Ov

I did not see how the indy schools did last season, winder why that was not on the list ?

Guest #1Stunner
28 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I did not see how the indy schools did last season, winder why that was not on the list ?

Great question.

I'd like to see that too

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Great question.

I'd like to see that too

The BYU fans I know all tell me BYU's attendance has been down the last several years too. Don't get me wrong, I'd kill to average 58 K in attendance, but BYU had a long streak of selling out LES. It's a trend everywhere it seems. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Great question.

I'd like to see that too

Averages:

UMass 10,385 (no sellouts, capacity 17,000) down 3.0%

NM State 13,705 (no sellouts, capacity 30,343) down 24.9%

Liberty 16,282 (no sellouts, capacity 25,000)  down 1.7% (ironic since 2018 was Liberty's 1st full year in D1A)

Army 31,692 (2 sellouts vs Miami(Oh) and Air Force, capacity 38,000) up 2.5%

BYU  52,475 (no sellouts, capacity 63,470) down 6.7%

Notre Dame 77,622 (all sellouts) no change

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.