Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluerules009

Communism and the NCAA, two places where the workers are exploited to make others richer.

7 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

Those budgets don't include all revenue, they are a fucking joke.   Boise State in 1975 was making a couple million a year on its 1AA football program.  Supposedly that year only Boise State, Texas and Ohio State made money on football.  I think someone is lying and anyone who looks at those budgets with a clue can tell they aren't including any revenue from the myriad of other sources.

Actually I don’t really care. Athletics under the NCAA is so corrupt, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if college athletes returned to be non scholarship like all other college students and all the over paid coaches had to find real jobs. 

12 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Actually I don’t really care. Athletics under the NCAA is so corrupt, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if college athletes returned to be non scholarship like all other college students and all the over paid coaches had to find real jobs. 

Arena league football teams all made money paying their players a minimum wage of $80K a year.

They didn't have a built in base of fans from decades of college graduates.  They didn't have taxpayer subsidized facilities.  They didn't get to bond using government's ability to tax as their credit reference.

State schools like UNR and the rest of the MWC not to mention the PAC or these other institutions claiming they aren't making money, in fact lots of money, on college athletics just isn't credible.  College athletics is a billion dollar industry and I am probably far underestimating it.

Just as an example Boise State men's basketball supposedly makes a little money.   They play in the facility maybe 15 weekends a year.   40+ other weekends that facility holds concerts and other events and the athletic department pays all the bills for the facility but all the concert revenue, parking revenue, concession revenue does not go into the athletic department budget.  It is all stuck in other budgets for the specific function of making the athletic department look poor.   

At BSU you have to buy a membership in the alumni club to buy season tickets to any of these events.   That membership is counted as a donation to Boise State not revenue for the athletic department and it is often a much bigger fee than the season tickets cost.

Boise State rents out the Stuckle Sky center for weddings, business meetings and all kinds of events.  None of that is athletic department revenue.

The whole claim that these schools are losing money on athletics is the most obvious load of bullshit propaganda in this country that I can think of.

The only sports that make money at most schools are men’s football and basketball. After expenses for those two sports they fund all other men’s and women’s sports on campus. Add in facility improvements, coaching salaries other than football and basketball, insurance, travel, equipment, administrative expenses, etc. who knows how much is left over. 

Ive got to believe most P5 schools are making a profit as their TV contracts are so lucrative. I doubt that’s the case for many G5 schools. Only the school auditor knows for sure. 

14 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Sounds more the like the perfect capital market based on exhibit A. It appears to be a sunset enterprise at this point. Make profit by paying minimum wage or by using interns. Defenders of this system will argue that scholarships are the equivalent of paying minimum wage to student-athletes.

You dumb

8 hours ago, bluerules009 said:

Arena league football teams all made money paying their players a minimum wage of $80K a year.

No 

Before 2010, the minimum salary was 31K, most were between 40 and 50K, and few made over 100k that drove the average salary to 80K  And the league went bankrupt.

In the current 6 team AFL (with 3 groups owning all 6 teams), players get 800 to 1100 per game, a per diem, and rental assistance.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.