Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Democracy Dies in Darkness

So let’s share an op-ed from a dictator that has 100+ reporters sitting in jail!  God I love the Washington Post.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

40 minutes ago, mugtang said:

So let’s share an op-ed from a dictator that has 100+ reporters sitting in jail!  God I love the Washington Post. 

Makes you wonder where the line would be drawn in the US if we had similar issues with terrorism that Turkey has with ISIS and PKK.

If a newspaper here wrote and distributed Pro-ISIS propoganda - would they be arrested for material support to a terrorist organization, or allowed due to freedom of the press. 

Wasn’t there a web site that recruited to ISIS? Whatever became of that? Plus, there have to be some boundaries on the freedom of the press. There is a fine line between freedom of the press and when that line is crossed. 

For instance, as much as some would like to see it happen the press can’t openly advocate for assassination of The president. 

6 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Are you sure this isn’t the onion?

No, the Onion has more journalistic integrity than WaPo.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

17 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

No, the Onion has more journalistic integrity than WaPo.

I mean, I kinda get it. Our president refuses to condemn white supremacist terrorism but vilifies Muslims every chance he get. Erdogan looks sane by comparison. But wapo publishing this is a bad look. I’m sure any number of opinion writers who aren’t murderous dictators could have made this incredibly obvious observation. 

Do you guys know about American Exceptionalism? The previous POTUS didn't know about it, so l it's understandable that others wouldn't.

The rest of mankind has been lorded over by tyrants for as long as they've assembled in groups. America is (supposed to be) the EXCEPTION to that. 

It's important to keep that perspective re: foreign affairs. There isn't any "good" option in the Middle East. It's the Stone Age guys with the beards vs the 19th century dictator trying to keep the Allah dudes in line. The best you can do is not send them pallets full of dark cash, and don't give them the keys to your op Ed page.

11 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

Do you guys know about American Exceptionalism? The previous POTUS didn't know about it, so l it's understandable that others wouldn't.

The rest of mankind has been lorded over by tyrants for as long as they've assembled in groups. America is (supposed to be) the EXCEPTION to that. 

It's important to keep that perspective re: foreign affairs. There isn't any "good" option in the Middle East. It's the Stone Age guys with the beards vs the 19th century dictator trying to keep the Allah dudes in line. The best you can do is not send them pallets full of dark cash, and don't give them the keys to your op Ed page.

What are you talking about? Trump literally dismissed American exceptionalism, pooh poohing China and Russia's human rights abuses because that isn't any different than what we are doing.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

12 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Trump TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP Trump TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTrump TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTrump TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMPTrump TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Go easy on the PBS news hour bro

24 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

Go easy on the PBS news hour bro

Oh right, reality is optional for you. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Oh right, reality is optional for you. 

He lives in a world where JFK Jr. is not only alive, but he's Trump's best friend who secretly goes to Trump's rallies and will replace Pence as his VP in the 2020 election.

1 hour ago, Extra Mayo said:

I'm with you on 99% of your post, but Trump definitely isn't the poster child for American Exceptionalism. Him and Obama have both shit all over the idea.

13 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I'm with you on 99% of your post, but Trump definitely isn't the poster child for American Exceptionalism. Him and Obama have both shit all over the idea.

"In America, we worship God, not government!" not good enough?

11 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

In America we worship whatever or whoever we want. Or we choose not to worship anybody.  Thank you first amendment. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

14 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

unless we need your property to built a parking lot or a wall.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

21 minutes ago, mugtang said:

In America we worship whatever or whoever we want. Or we choose not to worship anybody.  Thank you first amendment. 

Our free Republic was only intended for a people guided by morals and God. The FFs wrote quite extensively in the subject.

2 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

Our free Republic was only intended for a people guided by morals and God. The FFs wrote quite extensively in the subject.

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
John Adams

The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries.

James Madison

Nothing is more dreaded than the national government meddling with religion. 

John Adams

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

Thomas Paine

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

Thomas Jefferson

The purpose of separation of church and state is to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries.

James Madison

Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state'... is absolutely essential in a free society.

Thomas Jefferson

This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.

John Adams

I can keep going if you’d like. 

6 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

Oh +++++ off with that revisionist bullshit. 

Just now, mugtang said:

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
John Adams

James Madison

Nothing is more dreaded than the national government meddling with religion. 

John Adams

All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit.

Thomas Paine

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

Thomas Jefferson

James Madison

Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state'... is absolutely essential in a free society.

Thomas Jefferson

This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.

John Adams

I can keep going if you’d like. 

Go ahead. You're going in a totally different direction than I was though.