Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Oh karma, thou art a heartless bitch

A senior member of Matteo Salvini’s far-right League party who is an outspoken critic of Italy’s mandatory vaccination rules has been treated in hospital after contracting chickenpox.

Massimiliano Fedriga, president of the northeastern Fruili-Venezia Giulia region, announced he spent four days under observation in a medical facility after being diagnosed with the virus last week.

“I'm fine, I'm at home in convalescence and I thank everyone,” he wrote on social media following his discharge.

Mr Fedriga has been a vocal opponent of Italy’s decision to introduce mandatory childhood vaccinations against 12 diseases, including chickenpox.

The legislation, introduced following a measles outbreak in 2017, prevents unvaccinated children from attending nursery or pre-school and imposes heavy fines on parents who fail to immunise school-age children. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italy-vaccination-chickenpox-anti-vax-massimiliano-fedriga-salvini-a8829926.html

Lega is Italy's alt-right/fascist political party. 

29 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

White Supremacist Liberals are the most fervent Anti Vaxxers in America #FYI

Apparently the hardcore alt-right fascists in Italy are the most fervent anti-vaxxers in Italy. Whatever their political persuasions, they're +++++ing idiots.

47 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Odd for an adult to get chickenpox...  I thought the virus typically manifested in adults in the form of shingles?  

If you've already had it, it can recur in shingles. If you've never been infected it will be chickenpox and then you're also at risk for shingles later.

Better call @Jack Bauer for "will know for real" backup though

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

Odd for an adult to get chickenpox...  I thought the virus typically manifested in adults in the form of shingles?  

I've heard of cases in adults.  I think you're right about shingles in adults, but chickenpox does happen.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

3 hours ago, NorCalCoug said:

It's not as uncommon as you think. My wife got chicken pox when she was 22 and pregnant with our first son. That was a miserable time. A good thing did come from it though, my oldest boy never contracted chicken pox. My other 3 boys did.