Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthWestCowboy

NCAA Wrestling Championships, March 21-23

The Cowboys are sending 7 wrestlers to the NCAA's this Thurs, Fri and Sat in Pittsburgh.

125 lbs:  Cole Verner (21-13) is the No. 23 seed.  First round vs. No. 10 seed Brent Fleetwood (North Dakota State)
133 lbs:  Montorie Bridges (29-8) is the No. 12 seed.  First round vs. No. 21 seed Cam Sykora (North Dakota State)
141 lbs:  Sam Turner (29-12) is the No. 23 seed.  First round vs. No. 10 seed Nicholas Gil (Navy) 
165 lbs:  Branson Ashworth (32-5) is the No. 10 seed.  First round vs. No. 23 seed Zach Finesilver (Duke)
174 lbs:  Hayden Hastings (25-13) is the No. 25 seed.  First round vs. No. 8 seed Taylor Lujan (Northern Iowa)
184 lbs:  Tate Samuelson (22-7) is the No. 18 seed.  First round vs. No. 15 seed Chip Ness (North Carolina)
HWT:  Brian Andrews (32-10) is the No. 19 seed.  First round vs. No. 14 seed AJ Nevills (Fresno State)

The Bulldogs are sending 5 wrestlers to the NCAA's.

133 lbs:  No. 29 seed Gary Joint, RJr. (17-13).  First Round vs. No. 4 seed Mickey Phillipi (Pittsburgh)
149 lbs:  No. 21 seed Khristian Olivas, RJr. (21-11).  First Round vs. No. 12 seed Brady Berge (Penn State)
184 lbs:  No. 23 seed Jackson Hemauer, RFr. (23-11).  First Round vs. No. 10 seed Samuel Colbray (Iowa State)
197 lbs:  No. 16 seed Josh Hokit, Jr. (21-6).  First Round vs. No. 17 seed Stephen Loiseau (Drexel)
285 lbs:  No. 14 seed AJ Nevills, So. (24-7).  First Round vs. No. 19 seed Brian Andrews (Wyoming)

The Falcons send 1 wrestler to the NCAA's.

197 lbs:  Anthony McGlaughlin (13-7) is the No. 26 seed.  First round vs. No. 7 Jay Aiello (Virginia)

TV Schedule

Session 1 - Championship First Round Thursday March 21 Noon ESPNU
Session 2 - Championship Consolations Thursday March 21 7 p.m. ESPN
Session 3 - Championships Quarterfinals & Consolations Friday March 22 11 a.m. ESPNU
Session 4 - Championship Semifinals Friday March 22 8 p.m. ESPN
Session 5 - Championship Medal Round Saturday March 23 11 a.m. ESPNU
Session 6 - Championship Finals Saturday March 23 7 p.m. ESPN

https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/2019-03-13/ncaa-wrestling-championships-brackets-schedule-qualifiers-and-latest-news

19 hours ago, retrofade said:

Damn... two years in, and we're sending five guys to compete for national championships.

Fresno State made 3 great decisions.  First and foremost they brought wrestling back.  Second, they hired an excellent coach in Troy Steiner.  And third they chose to join the Big XII instead of the PAC-12 for wrestling.  There are far too few D1 wrestling programs in the west in general and with the history of wrestling talent in the central valley Fresno State's program has plenty of potential to succeeed.

I watched rhe world cup a few days ago and it was great to see members of team USA that I was familiar with from watching the NCAA finals these past five or so years. It will be interesting to see who has a shot at making next years Olympic team. 

I watched the B1G ten championships and Penn St is clicking on all cylinders this year. I'll be rooting against them as they have become the Alabama of wrestling only more dominant. I really respect coach Sanderson though.

ESPN app to individually watch every match.

Link to track all weight class brackets live:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/predefinedtournaments/MainFrame.jsp?newSession=false&TIM=1553188736801&pageName=

1st Round :  Montorie Bridges (133) and Sam Turner (141) have advanced thus far for the Cowboys.

15 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

I watched rhe world cup a few days ago and it was great to see members of team USA that I was familiar with from watching the NCAA finals these past five or so years. It will be interesting to see who has a shot at making next years Olympic team. 

I watched the B1G ten championships and Penn St is clicking on all cylinders this year. I'll be rooting against them as they have become the Alabama of wrestling only more dominant. I really respect coach Sanderson though.

I watched the world cup as well.  After finishing 1st last year it stings for team USA to finish 3rd behind Russia and Iran this go around.  The cold war is alive and well in international freestyle wrestling.

I'm hoping soneone other than PSU can win the team title this year.  Although, prior to the Nittany Lions recent domination it was all about Okie State and Iowa so I am glad Cael has built the PSU program up.  I can't stand Hawkeye wrestling and as a Nebraska and Wyoming alum I am not a fan of Okie State either!  I'm hoping Ohio St, Minny or Mizzou can break through to win the team title but it's unlikely PSU will be denied there 8th in 9 years.

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

I'm hoping soneone other than PSU can win the team title this year. 

Not going to happen.  There is no way Penn State doesn't win the title.  This is a battle for 2nd place between Iowa, Oklahoma State and Ohio State.  Next year is a different story and Iowa could very well be the favorite.

4 hours ago, OrediggerPoke said:

After the first round:

Wyoming - 5 (22)

Fresno State -1 (40)

Air Force - 0

Advancing to the round of 16 for Wyoming:  Bridges (133), Turner (141), Ashworth (165), Andrews (HWT)

Advancing to the round of 16 for Fresno State: Hokit (197)

Too bad they're only showing the top seeds in the 2nd round.

Edit: I saw now that espn app has all the mats & matches.

9 hours ago, SBBulldog85 said:

What is interesting about Hokit is that he is a two sport athlete, plays football also.

He is constantly gaining weight and cutting weight all year long.

His brother is also a collegiate wrestler.

Hokit has wrestled his tail off winning 4 matches in wrestle backs to make to the consolation semifinals and become an all-american. Let's see where he places. 

12 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Hokit has wrestled his tail off winning 4 matches in wrestle backs to make to the consolation semifinals and become an all-american. Let's see where he places. 

Hokit is doing great.  Hokit had a tough draw in his second match, taking on the #1 seed wrestler from Penn State, Nickal, who beat him.  Nickal is a 4 time all american and is going for his 3rd consecutive national title today.  

7 minutes ago, SBBulldog85 said:

Hokit is doing great.  Hokit had a tough draw in his second match, taking on the #1 seed wrestler from Penn State, Nickal, who beat him.  Nickal is a 4 time all american and is going for his 3rd consecutive national title today.  

Yes Nickal is a beast, one of the best offensive wrestlers I have seen in some time. Hokit won 7 matches to place fifth in impressive style. FSU is a great addition to the big 12 in wrestling and may help end the big 10 stranglehold of the sport.

We will be contenders soon enough.  Four of our five 2019 HS recruits are nationally ranked in their weight classes.  Two of them are ranked in the top 5 (#3 195lbs & #5 160lbs) and the other two are ranked #7 (157lbs) and #18 (132lbs) in their weight class.  We also have a 2020 commit, who was ranked #7 nationally this year, at 113lbs.

We’re on our way, and it helps having the top wrestling schools, in California, as your neighbors.