Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

3 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Recruiting for AAC women's sports and also for men/women olympic sports should get a boost for recruiting with all the ESPN+ telecasts.

I remember when Dennis Franchione and his undefeated TCU football team came into San Jose and got beat.  The SJSU football stadium was rocking and rolling that night as I watched the game.  The lines were so long that the ticket takers just let the fans in without paying so they would not miss so much of the game.  I hope SJSU can capture that lightning again.  A successful SJSU football program is vitally needed by the MWC. 

Interesting SJSU anecdote aside, it’s still not a “game changer”.

44 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

Good point.  Unless the conference issues a press release, the details of the WCC ESPN tv deal are known only to the respective university administrations.

I had faith that Stunner would find some kind of credible link and lo, one has appeared!  There is a credible article behind a paywall about Ms Nevarez using the past tense 'extended' referring to the ESPN contract.

Am I correct in thinking that BYU football has yet to announce a renewal?  Everyone talks to each other all the time so saying 'discussions' are occurring sounds more like an evasive answer than a forthcoming one in my opinion.  

I found an interesting article where they estimate that BYU's average football revenue from ESPN at about ~$4.5 million rather than $6 million.  https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/09/21/byu-football-espn-contract-money/  The article relies on 2015 dept of education reports from BYU about their budget. 

I still think BYU would have a lot of value to Fox Sports and NBC Sports as well as ESPN.

It would benefit both BYU and AAC if the two could work out some kind of affiliation similar to the Notre Dame/ACC affiliation.  Among many possible benefits to AAC and BYU, playing in AAC's larger TV market would boost BYU's TV contract.

1 hour ago, Tulsa Guy said:

AAC recruiting will be greatly benefited as recruiting budgets can be expanded and the 50% increase in ESPN exposure should appeal to recruits. To continue its upward progress, AAC is going to have to get more of the recruits pursued by the P5 schools.

I doubt the $7M will allow AAC teams to hold on to their successful football coaches as the AAC schools cannot compete with the $5M+ football salaries of P5 schools.

But where the $7M AAC contract may have a very significant impact is in basketball.  The average for Big 12 basketball coach's salary is $3M.  The $7M  AAC TV contract may allow AAC to retain their basketball coaches.  However, Kentucky hired Memphis's former coach and I think they are paying him $7M annually.

The AAC was never going to be a P5 conference overnight.  But this new TV contract allows the AAC to continue its climb to more success....something a $2M/school contract would not allow to continue.  That's a game changer.

Except Tulsa is not doing this.  They are just cutting back institutional subsidies and replacing it with TV $.  So they won’t be spending more 🤷‍♂️ 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_1250b684-bfab-58ec-95e7-d9156e43c79e.html

Posted Image

7 hours ago, edluvar said:

Except Tulsa is not doing this.  They are just cutting back institutional subsidies and replacing it with TV $.  So they won’t be spending more 🤷‍♂️ 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/c...cle_1250b684-bfab-58ec-95e7-d9156e43c79e.html

Cutting back institutional support does not equate to reducing the athletic budget.  Tulsa"s athletic budget is undoubtedly expanding with the new TV contract.  The resources available at Tulsa have historically allowed good coaches to succeed.  Bad coaches, whether at Tulsa or Texas or Nebraska or BYU or UNLV, do not.  But a large part of Tulsa's athletic success is due to its location in the fertile recruiting areas of Oklahoma and Texas.  The broadcast exposure on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU platforms, the AAC Digital Network via ESPN+ with game replays, coach's shows, and live broadcasts, and $7M new ESPN contract will give Tulsa and its AAC colleagues advantages none of them had before. In the meantime, Tulsa is winning the "athletic" contest it needs to win in this crazy cut throat college athletic environment.  Tulsa's TV ratings are good and, like other AAC colleague telecasts, compare favorably and many times exceed many Big 12 and PAC telecasts.. For all these reasons, I expect the success of all AAC teams including Tulsa to not only continue but to improve.

AAC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS:

1. Tulsa, 16

1. Houston, 16

3. UCF, 15

4. SMU, 14

4. UConn, 14

5. USF, 12

6. Cincinnati, 7

7. ECU, 5

8. Memphis, 2

9. Temple, 1

9. Tulane 1

9, Wichita, 1

10 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I remember when Dennis Franchione and his undefeated TCU football team came into San Jose and got beat.  The SJSU football stadium was rocking and rolling that night as I watched the game.  The lines were so long that the ticket takers just let the fans in without paying so they would not miss so much of the game.  I hope SJSU can capture that lightning again.  A successful SJSU football program is vitally needed by the MWC. 

You didnt watch very closely.  It was raining and the stands were half full.  Attendance was 15K.  Most of the emotional juice for SJSU that night came from Neil Parry, who broke and ultimately lost his leg against UTEP on a punt return.  To this day some TCU fans refer to them as SJfSU. And that was damn near their biggest crowd of the year.  Their game with Rice that year drew 6,700.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

16 hours ago, Balzac said:

If you listen to this interview, Craig Thompson forsees the MWC going all digital (Facebook?) primarily because the MWC lacks the population.

He has been looking that way since at least 2012.

If you cut to 20:38 of this State of the Conference address, he details why the MWC needs to go that route; and how the membership needs a Texas presence to add viewership to the conference. That would potentially make the MWCs media deal more valuable.

If that were to happen, Would the MWC benefit by overlapping footprints with the AAC??

My opinion is the schools the MWC should target, should come from the group of UTEP, UTSA, and Texas State. Steer clear of markets with an AAC presence. Or just add all 3, and include Rice to get to 16. I don’t think there’s a huge gap in revenue from 14 to 16. Conversely, the whole point is adding viewership.

This is a topic that will need to be addressed pronto. (Start the video at 20:38)

Thanks for that. Since my school was headed out the door at that time, I had never seen it before. A couple things.

One, although the MWC doesn't have access to as many eyes as does the AAC, neither does it have the competition for the eyes it does have that the AAC does. The MWC competes with the P12 but that's pretty much it. In contrast, the AAC competes against the B1G, the ACC, the SEC and the B12. So with due respect, some of your conference brethren are vastly overstating the advantage your conference has in that sense. You have an advantage, yes, but it's a small one.

My other point is about the MWC expanding into Texas. First of all, the question posed to Thompson was from a writer from the Albuquerque paper. Nobody but nobody on this board has an interest in NMSU or Rice and nobody has an interest in the MWC adding UTEP except a couple UNM fans. The only schools which have been advocated at times have been UTSA, Texas State and North Texas. My opinion is that since the MWC was at its best when TCU was a member that it would be good to have another foothold in Texas. I get that none of those three is the equivalent of TCU but if you guys were the least bit honest you would also acknowledge that conference quality can be cyclical and the Horned Frogs left YOUR former conference to join the MWC and it is the now the AAC which is more vulnerable to being poached by the B12 than is the MWC.

As to the three Texas schools I mentioned, I once thought UNT might be a viable choice but when that school failed to sell out its new 31K seat stadium for the first game against Houston, that spoke volumes to me about its uselessness. Most people here seem to think UTSA would be the best choice because it's located in a metro area which doesn't have an NFL franchise but that's uninformed. San Antonio is Cowboys country for one thing and for another, as an Aztec I've learned what a detriment it is to play in an NFL-sized stadium when you're a G5 school. Therefore, not only does Texas State have the advantage in football facilities, its basketball arena is head and shoulders superior to UTSA's. So my opinion is that if the MWC wants to save itself, it should return tier 3 money to its members, which would force San Jose State to leave, and then replace SJSU with TSU.

Boom goes the dynamite.

16 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

Good point.  Unless the conference issues a press release, the details of the WCC ESPN tv deal are known only to the respective university administrations.

I had faith that Stunner would find some kind of credible link and lo, one has appeared!  There is a credible article behind a paywall about Ms Nevarez using the past tense 'extended' referring to the ESPN contract.

Am I correct in thinking that BYU football has yet to announce a renewal?  Everyone talks to each other all the time so saying 'discussions' are occurring sounds more like an evasive answer than a forthcoming one in my opinion.  

I found an interesting article where they estimate that BYU's average football revenue from ESPN at about ~$4.5 million rather than $6 million.  https://lawlessrepublic.com/2017/09/21/byu-football-espn-contract-money/  The article relies on 2015 dept of education reports from BYU about their budget. 

I still think BYU would have a lot of value to Fox Sports and NBC Sports as well as ESPN.

Correct.  My guess is a renewal would be announced at the BYU media day before fall camp starts.  To my knowledge, BYU has never disclosed how much they get paid on their TV deals, so I don't expect that to change with a new/extended contract.

16 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

It would benefit both BYU and AAC if the two could work out some kind of affiliation similar to the Notre Dame/ACC affiliation.  Among many possible benefits to AAC and BYU, playing in AAC's larger TV market would boost BYU's TV contract.

While no formal AAC-BYU agreement exists (AFAIK), BYU has made a habit of playing games against the AAC in independence.  I don't think they have as many AAC games on the future schedules as they have in the recent past, but with games scheduled against USF, Houston, and East Carolina, BYU is still getting in front of the AAC's TV market:

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/byu/

Posted by CougarRed, a long time poster on the AAC message board.

Miller & Moulton Episode 1433 recap.

Aresco:

1. I can't talk about the financials, but you've seen all the reports.

2. Communicated with ESPN over a number of years.

3. Misinformation: we are getting even more linear coverage than was initially reported.

4. We had to buy into ESPN+ to do the deal because it is so important to ESPN.

5. But we embraced it. It's the future.

6. "Pretty much" all our main games will be on the primary linear networks.

7. ESPN+ will include hundreds of Olympic sports, baseball.  Some football.  A fair amount of basketball.  $4.99 is affordable, growing and available everywhere.

8. We'll have a branded network where you can get alerts on your phone when games are on.

9. 65 of the basketball games on ESPN3 will move to ESPN+

10. We don't know the statuses yet of the sublicenses with CBSSN and SNY.  Not sure what's going to happen there.

11. We're gearing up, talked to consultants & ESPN to build up the infrastructure to produce the games.

12. We have roughly 150 football games scheduled with the P5 over the next 10 years.  The Big 10 names us a primary interconference opponent, essentially the equivalent of a P5, allowing a Temple-Penn State series to be set up.

13. Concerned about P5-9 game conference schedules in the future.  But we are located in recruiting hotbeds which help.

14. . We'll be announcing some remarkable series in the next few months.

15. In basketball, lots of blue bloods and so no real scheduling issues.  We'll be announcing a scheduling alliance with a major conference soon.

16. A plus for ESPN+ is control over game start times, especially for lesser games.

backwards way to say that some 'main' games will be on ESPN +

12. We have roughly 150 football games scheduled with the P5 over the next 10 years.  The Big 10 names us a primary interconference opponent, essentially the equivalent of a P5, allowing a Temple-Penn State series to be set up.

Huh?  Does that give the AAC BYU-equivalent status in the Big Ten's eyes?

No mention of any changes in the bowl game lineup, although arguably that isn't what the interview is about.

Aresco spins about as well as a Jamaican figure skater.

That 150 in 10 sounds great, until you do the math and realize that is a little more than 1 game per team per year.  Most of which will qualify as a body bag game.  Like Tulsa playing Michigan State and Oklahoma State.  Or Tulane playing OU and Ole Miss.  Or SMUs annual game with TCU.

Equivalent of a P5.  Thats funny.  So when is a body bag not a body bag?  When the B10 mandates 1 P5 game per year, but then grants exemptions, which they announced 3 yrs ago.  Like Cincy playing Ohio State.  Or Temple potentially playing Penn State.  Or any game against Army or Navy.

'Plenty of blue bloods in basketball...'   Seriously?   He's got a pretty loose definition.  

'We embraced it...because really, what choice did we have'.

'A branded network'.  On a streaming service.  For phone messages.  Been getting those for years.  More comedy.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

backwards way to say that some 'main' games will be on ESPN +

Huh?  Does that give the AAC BYU-equivalent status in the Big Ten's eyes?

No mention of any changes in the bowl game lineup, although arguably that isn't what the interview is about.

A Cincinnati poster stated that Cincinnati, UConn, and Navy already had been previously given Primary Interconference status (P5) by BiG.  A second AAC poster stated the entire AAC conference was given Primary Interconference (P5) status for scheduling back in August.

On bowls, there are two conflicting posts on the AAC board, both by Memphis fans.  The first Memphis poster stated that a new AAC bowl had been negotiated against a P5 opponent and it was possible that the AAC would end up with four bowls against P5 opponents.  A second Memphis poster followed up saying that was wrong and that the negotiations for the new AAC bowl against a P5 had fallen apart.

It is obvious ESPN is helping AAC, just like ESPN helped BYU. For AAC, all the credit goes to Aresco who apparently has a good relationship and a strong relationship with ESPN folks.  Aresco is a former ESPN executive.  He has proved to be a great hire by AAC Presidents.

45 minutes ago, RSF said:

Aresco spins about as well as a Jamaican figure skater.

That 150 in 10 sounds great, until you do the math and realize that is a little more than 1 game per team per year.  Most of which will qualify as a body bag game.  Like Tulsa playing Michigan State and Oklahoma State.  Or Tulane playing OU and Ole Miss.  Or SMUs annual game with TCU.

Equivalent of a P5.  Thats funny.  So when is a body bag not a body bag?  When the B10 mandates 1 P5 game per year, but then grants exemptions, which they announced 3 yrs ago.  Like Cincy playing Ohio State.  Or Temple potentially playing Penn State.  Or any game against Army or Navy.

'Plenty of blue bloods in basketball...'   Seriously?   He's got a pretty loose definition.  

'We embraced it...because really, what choice did we have'.

'A branded network'.  On a streaming service.  For phone messages.  Been getting those for years.  More comedy.

Oklahoma State 44, Boise State 21.  The game was not as close as the score implies.

3 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Posted by CougarRed, a long time poster on the AAC message board.

Miller & Moulton Episode 1433 recap.

Aresco:

1. I can't talk about the financials, but you've seen all the reports.

2. Communicated with ESPN over a number of years.

3. Misinformation: we are getting even more linear coverage than was initially reported.

4. We had to buy into ESPN+ to do the deal because it is so important to ESPN.

5. But we embraced it. It's the future.

7. ESPN+ will include hundreds of Olympic sports, baseball.  Some football.  A fair amount of basketball.  $4.99 is affordable, growing and available everywhere.

8. We'll have a branded network where you can get alerts on your phone when games are on.

9. 65 of the basketball games on ESPN3 will move to ESPN+

10. We don't know the statuses yet of the sublicenses with CBSSN and SNY.  Not sure what's going to happen there.

11. We're gearing up, talked to consultants & ESPN to build up the infrastructure to produce the games.

13. Concerned about P5-9 game conference schedules in the future.  But we are located in recruiting hotbeds which help.

14. . We'll be announcing some remarkable series in the next few months.

15. In basketball, lots of blue bloods and so no real scheduling issues.  We'll be announcing a scheduling alliance with a major conference soon.

16. A plus for ESPN+ is control over game start times, especially for lesser games.

Nothing in that sounds game changing.

Just now, SalinasSpartan said:

Nothing in that sounds game changing.

Except to the Tulsa fan

We've all cut him mucho slack but it's time for the guy to admit that it's beyond pathetic for him to keep touting the CONFERENCE his school is a member of.

1. That conference isn't close to the permanent erection he thinks it is.

2. Even if it is - and not an effing person here would concede that - his school his nothing to do with that.

(Sorry, Tulsa fan, but I've lost my patience with you.)

Boom goes the dynamite.

14 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Cutting back institutional support does not equate to reducing the athletic budget.  Tulsa"s athletic budget is undoubtedly expanding with the new TV contract.  The resources available at Tulsa have historically allowed good coaches to succeed.  Bad coaches, whether at Tulsa or Texas or Nebraska or BYU or UNLV, do not.  But a large part of Tulsa's athletic success is due to its location in the fertile recruiting areas of Oklahoma and Texas.  The broadcast exposure on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU platforms, the AAC Digital Network via ESPN+ with game replays, coach's shows, and live broadcasts, and $7M new ESPN contract will give Tulsa and its AAC colleagues advantages none of them had before. In the meantime, Tulsa is winning the "athletic" contest it needs to win in this crazy cut throat college athletic environment.  Tulsa's TV ratings are good and, like other AAC colleague telecasts, compare favorably and many times exceed many Big 12 and PAC telecasts.. For all these reasons, I expect the success of all AAC teams including Tulsa to not only continue but to improve.

1. Tulsa, 16

1. Houston, 16

3. UCF, 15

4. SMU, 14

4. UConn, 14

5. USF, 12

6. Cincinnati, 7

7. ECU, 5

8. Memphis, 2

9. Temple, 1

9. Tulane 1

9, Wichita, 1

The only CHAMPIONSHIPS that count are in Football and Basketball. How many AAC championships in FB and BB do you have?

2 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

A Cincinnati poster stated that Cincinnati, UConn, and Navy already had been previously given Primary Interconference status (P5) by BiG.  A second AAC poster stated the entire AAC conference was given Primary Interconference (P5) status for scheduling back in August.

On bowls, there are two conflicting posts on the AAC board, both by Memphis fans.  The first Memphis poster stated that a new AAC bowl had been negotiated against a P5 opponent and it was possible that the AAC would end up with four bowls against P5 opponents.  A second Memphis poster followed up saying that was wrong and that the negotiations for the new AAC bowl against a P5 had fallen apart.

It is obvious ESPN is helping AAC, just like ESPN helped BYU. For AAC, all the credit goes to Aresco who apparently has a good relationship and a strong relationship with ESPN folks.  Aresco is a former ESPN executive.  He has proved to be a great hire by AAC Presidents.

No, a new bowl for the AAC vs a P5 opponent will be announced fairly soon.  Thats from the interview today with Mike Aresco (its at the 7:16 mark of the interview in the link below).  He also basically says we wont be seeing any change in our Liberty Bowl tie (FYI---we apparently will continue to be a backup there).  Overall, he did say he thought the AAC would be getting "a little better bowl scenario this time around".  

https://969thegame.iheart.com/featured/beat-of-sports/content/2019-03-28-mike-aresco-the-emergence-of-ucf-has-been-enormous/

The stuff that the Memphis fan disputed was different.   Aresco mentions in a different interview that we will be announcing some basketball scheduling alliances with a "major conference" (about the 13:30 mark of the interview below).  Apparently there had been some talk a while back of a challenge with the SEC and the Memphis fan just said he had heard the SEC had fallen through---so the Memphis fan was just saying he didnt think the SEC would be the opponent for the "challenge"  Aresco was talking about (for whatever thats worth).  

http://millerandmoulton.com/march-28-2019-episode-1433/

5 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

I'm not that impressed.

The Big 10 also considers Fresno State, Air Force and BYU as the equivalent of P5 out of conference opponents.

That league has now decided to add Fresno State, according to the Star Tribune. The Bulldogs join a group that includes Air Force, Cincinnati, Navy and UConn from the Group of Five and also independent schools Notre Dame, BYU and Army.

When the Big Ten announced what schools would count as a Power Five opponent, Big Ten senior associate commissioner Mark Rudner said that more Group of Five teams could be added on a case-by-case basis.

“If someone comes to us with a request, we’ll evaluate it,” Rudner told the Indianapolis Star.

https://www.mwcconnection.com/2016/10/23/13364748/fresno-state-considered-power-five-program-by-big-ten

2 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

No, a new bowl for the AAC vs a P5 opponent will be announced fairly soon.  Thats from the interview today with Mike Aresco (its at the 7:16 mark of the interview in the link below).  He also basically says we wont be seeing any change in our Liberty Bowl tie (FYI---we apparently will continue to be a backup there).  Overall, he did say he thought the AAC would be getting "a little better bowl scenario this time around".  

https://969thegame.iheart.com/featured/beat-of-sports/content/2019-03-28-mike-aresco-the-emergence-of-ucf-has-been-enormous/

The stuff that the Memphis fan disputed was different.   Aresco mentions in a different interview that we will be announcing some basketball scheduling alliances with a "major conference" (about the 13:30 mark of the interview below).  Apparently there had been some talk a while back of a challenge with the SEC and the Memphis fan just said he had heard the SEC had fallen through---so the Memphis fan was just saying he didnt think the SEC would be the opponent for the "challenge"  Aresco was talking about (for whatever thats worth).  

http://millerandmoulton.com/march-28-2019-episode-1433/

My bad.  Thanks for correction.

16 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

1. Tulsa, 16

1. Houston, 16

3. UCF, 15

4. SMU, 14

4. UConn, 14

5. USF, 12

6. Cincinnati, 7

7. ECU, 5

8. Memphis, 2

9. Temple, 1

9. Tulane 1

9, Wichita, 1

You are right.  After your tv revenue went up 3x it appears you will be spending the same.  No more no less.  Treading water so to speak.   Are other aac schools doing the same as Tulsa or are they useing the additional funds to grow their budgets? Does the new contract pay the big east football schools as much as they were making with all the exit fees $? 

Posted Image

I believe the AAC has been able to use it's back up ties with the Independence Bowl three times and the Liberty Bowl once...so those back up deals are important

mem skyline sig.jpeg