Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

On 3/23/2019 at 11:23 PM, sactowndog said:

The interesting point is how the pie is split.  Via streaming the conference owns all the rights and without a Cable deal Boise does not get their up front cut.   

Schools not named Boise may see a decent raise.   Boise could see a decrease. 

Bsu owns the rights to their home games not the MW. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

21 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

STATES RANKED BY POPULATION:

American Athletic Conference

2. Texas, 28.7M

3. Florida, 21.3M

5. Pennsylvania, 12.8M

7. Ohio, 11.7M

9. North Carolina, 10.4M

16. Tennessee, 6.8M

19. Maryland, 6.1M (Navy)

25. Louisiana, 4.7M

28. Oklahoma, 3.9M

29. Connecticut, 3.6M

35. Kansas, 2.9M

49. District of Columbia, 0.7M (Navy)

Total Population, 113.6M

Total Population excluding Texas and Florida, 63.6M

Mountain West Conference

1. California, 39.8M

21. Colorado, 5.7M (CSU, AFA)

31. Utah, 3.2M

32. Nevada, 3.1M

36. New Mexico, 2.1M

39. Idaho, 1.8M

40. Hawaii, 1.4M

Total Population, 57.7M

Total Population excluding California, 17.9M

Would be interesting to include the numbers of P5 schools in each state.  Seems that may have some merit.  

Posted Image

1 hour ago, boisewitha-s said:

That is what U of Oklahoma thought when they and Georgia won their law suit against NCAA that TV rights belong to the school and not to NCAA.  Oklahoma fans envisioned watching OU football each Saturday on ABC, CBS, or NBC at that time.  However, OU did not envision that lesser college football teams wanted to be on TV so bad that they would go on TV for nothing.  So, from TV's vantage point, why not put on a Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State for nothing and make as much money or even more rather than paying U of Oklahoma big bucks to telecast their games?  KSU, KU, and OSU hosted Oklahoma Sooners and Nebraska Cornhuskers and TV could get the Sooners and Huskers on TV for a pittance via KSU, KU, and OSU. Oklahoma did not get either the big bucks or national telecasts they had initially envisioned.  So what was the solution?  The solution was give the TV rights to the conference and let the conference negotiate the TV rights....so that individual conference teams did not under cut each other and drive down the TV monies.

Yes, Boise State currently has their own contract.  But Boise State is not immune to the power and decisions of the remaining 11 MWC schools.  The MWC-11 could sign a contract that would feature 4 Boise games and schedule games at the same time of the Boise State home games for TV telecast.  Boise State may experience a similar experience of OU in the next MWC TV contract.  BSU put the screws to MWC-11.  Who knows?  MWC-11 just might return the favor. IF Boise State did not cooperate with MWC-11, the MWC-11 has the ability to greatly reduce TV money for BSU.

Boise State used the threat of joining AAC.  That threat no longer exists as the AAC now realizes the Broncos do not add TV money to AAC coffers in a sufficient amount to add them.  Perhaps one very good thing coming out of the new AAC contract is the MWC-11 should realize that BSU cannot threaten to leave the MWC in order to take more TV MWC money.

It was stated in an article that ESPN+ would allow the AAC to sort of have their own TV network, a substitue for BiG, SEC, ACC, and PAC network.  The CBSS and ESPN3 games being shuttled over to ESPN+ do not really interest tp me as they are the least desirable games  to watch.  I will not pay $5/month to watch those games.

But I just wonder how this ESPN+ will work?  Will it show replays of football games?  Will it feature Football Coach shows?  If so, that alone would cause me to suscribe and pay the $5/month fee.  And, then too, I would get the bonus of watching men and women basketball games that would otherwise not be available.

The MWC TV network was the first conference network but it failed.  But technology via ESPN+ can now bring back a MWC network.  That is another lesson to perhaps be learned from the new AAC contract.  And, if I were President of a MWC-11 school, I would tell Boise their independent TV contract can no longer be allowed.  That if Boise State wants its coaches show, replays, and olympic sports on ESPN+, then the Broncos have to give up their independent TV contract and fold all their games under the MWC TV umbrella.

If BSU balks, then the MWC-11 Presidents can hold a meeting at the Denver Airport to form a new conference, and invite North Texas State as the 12th member.  While the MWC-11 are at the airport, kick out AFA basketball and invite BYU for olympic sports provided BYU pay 5 MWC teams in football each year similar to the Notre Dame/ACC agreement.

20 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I wonder how much more money the AAC would have gotten if Boise and SDSU had not defected and ECU and Tulsa were never invited?

Less.  It would have divided AAC conference tv moneies 14 ways instead of 12 so payout per AAC school would have decreased and travel costs would sky rocket meaning even less money per AAC school.

By the way, my deep thanks to Boise State for turning down the AAC invitation.....and allowing Tulsa into AAC. As a Tulsa fan, the AAC exposure and now TV money is superb.

14 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

That is what U of Oklahoma thought when they and Georgia won their law suit against NCAA that TV rights belong to the school and not to NCAA.  Oklahoma fans envisioned watching OU football each Saturday on ABC, CBS, or NBC at that time.  However, OU did not envision that lesser college football teams wanted to be on TV so bad that they would go on TV for nothing.  So, from TV's vantage point, why not put on a Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State for nothing and make as much money or even more rather than paying U of Oklahoma big bucks to telecast their games?  KSU, KU, and OSU hosted Oklahoma Sooners and Nebraska Cornhuskers and TV could get the Sooners and Huskers on TV for a pittance via KSU, KU, and OSU. Oklahoma did not get either the big bucks or national telecasts they had initially envisioned.  So what was the solution?  The solution was give the TV rights to the conference and let the conference negotiate the TV rights....so that individual conference teams did not under cut each other and drive down the TV monies.

Not what happened.  The lawsuit filed by OU and Georgia was not to get their individual TV rights back, but to secure the collective rights of the College Football Association in their fight to wrest control away from the NCAA.  The CFA included all the major conferences except the Big 10 and Pac 10 and most of the independents (back when there were a bunch).  Neither school was attempting their own deals as the CFA had a deal with ABC and CBS.  The CFA eventually fractured when ND signed with NBC and the SEC cut their own deal in the 90s.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 minutes ago, RSF said:

Not what happened.  The lawsuit filed by OU and Georgia was not to get their individual TV rights back, but to secure the collective rights of the College Football Association in their fight to wrest control away from the NCAA.  The CFA included all the major conferences except the Big 10 and Pac 10 and most of the independents (back when there were a bunch).  Neither school was attempting their own deals as the CFA had a deal with ABC and CBS.  The CFA eventually fractured when ND signed with NBC and the SEC cut their own deal in the 90s.

What you say is true.  What I say is also true.  Oklahoma was intent on doing what Notre Dame did.  Oklahoma was indeed intent on doing their own deal, just like Boise State did with MWC-11.  All this was reported in the Daily Oklahoman, a mouth piece for Sooners with Gaylord Statium at Norman named in honor of the Gaylord family, owners of the Daily Oklahoman at that time. Oklahoma's dream was fractured. 

Oklahoma, with all its national championships, thought it was powerful enough to do this.  For Oklahoma U, the fracturing started with the Notre Dame deal and ended with SEC going to 12 teams with a conference championship game that paid more than the Rose Bowl at that time.

What was the lesson learned?  Oklahoma, as good as football program as it was and remains and with all its national championships, was not powerful enough to stand alone.  Some thought Notre Dame could stand alone....but eventually the power of conference play, TV, and football bowls forced Notre Dame into a coalition with ACC.  My guess is MWC-11 will eventually fold Boise State under its MWC contract with everyone treated fairly and equitably.

4 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

My guess is MWC-11 will eventually fold Boise State under its MWC contract with everyone treated fairly and equitably.

You don't have a clue about bsu's deal and the money distribution do you?  

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

14 hours ago, boisewitha-s said:

Not exactly true. Boise has granted the rights to home games to the MWC. But the conference has to negotiate those rights as a package separate from the rest of the conference media deal. Both BSU and the MWC have to agree who broadcasts the Boise home game subpackage.

Additionally the conference receives the Boise home game revenue which is added to the other conference revenue then distributed by whatever method that conference members decide.

The wording is in this old thread posted by Boise fan:

Here is the original clauses from the contract:

3. Television Rights.  Boise State shall provide the MWC the exclusive television broadcast rights to its intercollegiate athletic events, including but not limited to home football games, each season. In return, MWC will ensure such Boise State home football games are not part of, nor granted under, any current or future MWC conference-wide television rights contract, including the MWC television rights currently under contract with CBS/CSTV or as such may be amended in the future.  MWC will ensure that the Boise State home football games are sold as a separate package.  Boise State and MWC must mutually agree to whom such Boise State home football game rights are licensed and to the material terms of such license (provided that Boise State agrees in advance that CBS/CSTV may remain the prime licensee of the conference for television rights and the agreement for the sale of the Boise State home football games may take the form of a sub-license from CBS/CSTV in which case Boise State and the MWC must mutually agree to who sub-licensee is and the material terms of the sub-license).  Material terms include, but are not limited to, monetary terms, time/duration of the license,  cancellation terms, network upon which the games are broadcast, time and dates of performance (games), and other terms relevant to payment and performance.  The revenue from such Boise State home football games license/sub-license shall be retained by the MWC and the MWC will add its retained amount to the MWC media revenue monies to be pooled and disbursed in the same manner as with all other MWC revenues.  All television broadcast rights for the Boise State away games shall be treated in the same manner as and on the same terms as other members of the MWC.

http://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/topic/59909-revisiting-mwc-television-agreement/

18 hours ago, Tulsa Guy said:

It was stated in an article that ESPN+ would allow the AAC to sort of have their own TV network, a substitue for BiG, SEC, ACC, and PAC network.  The CBSS and ESPN3 games being shuttled over to ESPN+ do not really interest tp me as they are the least desirable games  to watch.  I will not pay $5/month to watch those games.

But I just wonder how this ESPN+ will work?  Will it show replays of football games?  Will it feature Football Coach shows?  If so, that alone would cause me to suscribe and pay the $5/month fee.  And, then too, I would get the bonus of watching men and women basketball games that would otherwise not be available.

The MWC TV network was the first conference network but it failed.  But technology via ESPN+ can now bring back a MWC network.  That is another lesson to perhaps be learned from the new AAC contract.  And, if I were President of a MWC-11 school, I would tell Boise their independent TV contract can no longer be allowed.  That if Boise State wants its coaches show, replays, and olympic sports on ESPN+, then the Broncos have to give up their independent TV contract and fold all their games under the MWC TV umbrella.

If BSU balks, then the MWC-11 Presidents can hold a meeting at the Denver Airport to form a new conference, and invite North Texas State as the 12th member.  While the MWC-11 are at the airport, kick out AFA basketball and invite BYU for olympic sports provided BYU pay 5 MWC teams in football each year similar to the Notre Dame/ACC agreement.

If the MW signs with ESPN, then a big reason for the separate BSU deal will be moot.  They may still demand more money than the rest of the conference, though.

" It was stated in an article that ESPN+ would allow the AAC to sort of have their own TV network, a substitue for BiG, SEC, ACC, and PAC network. "

If ES{N+ allows each conference to essentially have its own network, that might be a boon to G5 conferences. Could you view a game that would otherwise not be available?

2 hours ago, since1670 said:

" It was stated in an article that ESPN+ would allow the AAC to sort of have their own TV network, a substitue for BiG, SEC, ACC, and PAC network. "

If ES{N+ allows each conference to essentially have its own network, that might be a boon to G5 conferences. Could you view a game that would otherwise not be available?

I think either the schools or conference would have to have something in place to get a feed to ESPN+.  If the MW goes that route they would be smart to invest in these resources and each school would be smart to invest in some media resources to guarantee HD streaming of a lot of events.  You could sell recruits parents that for $5 a month you can watch your kid play a lot if you can't be there in person.  Schools might be smart to do some of those things like Reno did this year with their basketball team.  Or the conference could make some documentaries in regards to conference history, although that might be tougher or the MW since some of the best stuff is from the WAC and for the AAC from the Old Big East.   

I would think ESPN+ would be on board to stream that content.  

8 hours ago, Pelado said:

If the MW signs with ESPN, then a big reason for the separate BSU deal will be moot.  They may still demand more money than the rest of the conference, though.

I find it unlikely ESPN signs the MW. They won't need the content. My guess is it is between CBS Sports and internet streaming.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:51 PM, Tulsa Guy said:

STATES RANKED BY POPULATION:

American Athletic Conference

2. Texas, 28.7M

3. Florida, 21.3M

5. Pennsylvania, 12.8M

7. Ohio, 11.7M

9. North Carolina, 10.4M

16. Tennessee, 6.8M

19. Maryland, 6.1M (Navy)

25. Louisiana, 4.7M

28. Oklahoma, 3.9M

29. Connecticut, 3.6M

35. Kansas, 2.9M

49. District of Columbia, 0.7M (Navy)

Total Population, 113.6M

Total Population excluding Texas and Florida, 63.6M

Mountain West Conference

1. California, 39.8M

21. Colorado, 5.7M (CSU, AFA)

31. Utah, 3.2M

32. Nevada, 3.1M

36. New Mexico, 2.1M

39. Idaho, 1.8M

40. Hawaii, 1.4M

Total Population, 57.7M

Total Population excluding California, 17.9M

This is a very simplistic analysis because the AAC shares with so many P5 programs, whereas the MW owns most of the markets we're located (albeit many of them are small).

AMERICAN

Total Population: 113.6, shared with 23 P5 programs

Total Population excluding Texas and Florida, 63.6M, shared with 15 P5 programs

MOUNTAIN WEST

Total Population, 57.7M, shared with 6 P5 programs

Total Population excluding California, 17.9M, shared with 2 P5 programs

We have 6 P5 programs in our state footprint, compared to 23 for the AAC. 

12 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

I think either the schools or conference would have to have something in place to get a feed to ESPN+.  If the MW goes that route they would be smart to invest in these resources and each school would be smart to invest in some media resources to guarantee HD streaming of a lot of events.  You could sell recruits parents that for $5 a month you can watch your kid play a lot if you can't be there in person.  Schools might be smart to do some of those things like Reno did this year with their basketball team.  Or the conference could make some documentaries in regards to conference history, although that might be tougher or the MW since some of the best stuff is from the WAC and for the AAC from the Old Big East.   

I would think ESPN+ would be on board to stream that content.  

Uhhh, the conference already has in place stream with the MWDN using Stadium as the platform.

By the way, being on ESPN + doesn’t mean they will ESPN commentators.

7 hours ago, fanhood said:

I find it unlikely ESPN signs the MW. They won't need the content. My guess is it is between CBS Sports and internet streaming.

I think Stadium will be broadcasting a package of MW football and baseketball games along with the streaming on MWDN