Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Your spin is that the AAC just signed a new 12 year deal roughly equivalent to what BYU signed 7 years ago, so that this somehow means something about BYU?

Also....nice to see you backing away from your nonsense assertion that ESPN already passed on signing a new deal with the AAC, BYU and Boise....

Reality Check:

Congrats to the AAC.

Expect BYU to announce a new deal with ESPN in June, at its media day.   That ESPN just gave the AAC a big raise is great news for BYU.

Do you have links about a new West Coast Conference contract with ESPN?  It would be wise for the WCC to wait and see if Gonzaga makes the Final Four this year.

With Boise's home rights sold as a second package, I think that the number of ABC broadcasts (at least two!) of Boise home game is critical once the dollars get into the mid seven figures.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

It will be interesting to see how big BYU's, Boises's and the MWC's TV deals end up.

This might be an opportunity for the AAC to poach a couple Western schools.

Agreed. Nevertheless, the AAC won't do so. Because when all is said and done, the Aresco Athletic Conference lacks the balls to poach the Molehill Worst Conference.

Boom goes the dynamite.

43 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Agreed. Nevertheless, the AAC won't do so. Because when all is said and done, the Aresco Athletic Conference lacks the balls to poach the Molehill Worst Conference.

It doesnt really matter.  You poach and expand BEFORE you negotiate in an effort to make your conference more valuable.  Unless you have a pro rata clause in the deal (which I doubt Disney will ever use again), you dont expand AFTER the deal.  Expanding after the deal is signed just degrades per team earnings.   

3 hours ago, mugtang said:

I think it’s like $10 a month. 

Mug, I have it for $5. on Spectrum but thus far it is not much unless you like Olympic sports. Maybe that will change.

12 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

come on...it's just marketing BUT with this new deal I'd say it's working.

That's funny.

CBS did a graphic on Sunday listing a breakdown of the bids.  They focused on the P6.

Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, Pac 12....and the Big East.

The same conference whose TV deal was signed 6 years ago, doesnt include football, but is still only about 2 to 2.5 million per year per team behind this new deal.

Yeah...a marketing genius, that Aresco.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

13 minutes ago, RSF said:

That's funny.

CBS did a graphic on Sunday listing a breakdown of the bids.  They focused on the P6.

The same conference whose TV deal was signed 6 years ago, doesnt include football, but is still only about 2 to 2.5 million per year per team behind this new deal.

the p6 thing was pure genius....and legtimitely only people who hate te aac noticed 1 cbs graphic for a few seconds everyone else noticed that the aac got 4bids and 2nits 

1 hour ago, pesik said:

the p6 thing was pure genius....and legtimitely only people who hate te aac noticed 1 cbs graphic for a few seconds everyone else noticed that the aac got 4bids and 2nits 

I don’t think the average college fan doesn’t  “notice” the AAC (or MWC) much at all. 

1 hour ago, RSF said:

That's funny.

I agree...he took the 'outcasts' the C7 didn't want anything to do with and molded us into a better conference that makes more TV money.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

10 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

It doesnt really matter.  You poach and expand BEFORE you negotiate in an effort to make your conference more valuable.  Unless you have a pro rata clause in the deal (which I doubt Disney will ever use again), you dont expand AFTER the deal.  Expanding after the deal is signed just degrades per team earnings.   

^ exactly...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Regional sports networks are dying which is why Disney is having a hard time to rid the Fox RSNs they have to give up.  They only work on the cable model which is losing subscribers by the hundreds of thousands each quarter.

This week the media is reporting the info in the just released Deloitte 13th annual digital media trends survey.

One of the big trends getting reported is growth in streaming vs pay TV.

69% of households now subscribe to a streaming video subscription service vs 65% of households with pay TV (cable or satellite). Live TV streaming is in 29% of households.

Deloitte's press release:

https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/press-releases/digital-media-trends-thirteenth-edition.html

Well, putting on my old non-BCS/non-AQ/G5 hat, this looks like a decent deal - congrats to the AAC!  A decent increase (I remember bragging about the MWC's $3.1 million conference payout) to BYU-like numbers (although BYU seems likely to get an increase this summer) and ESPN-level coverage.  But taking that hat off and putting on my Big12 hat, wow, that looks piddly!  ESPN+??!!  Bleah!  Only $7 million per year, with no escalation??!!  Meh.  The Big12 is going to be at $40 millionish this year and that will escalate to $50 million by the end of the contract in 2023-24.  And, assuming we don't fall apart then, it'll likely escalate then and could be $70 million per year by the time the AAC deal finally expires.  12 years??!!  Ugh!  I guess it depends on one's perspective, but we're looking at 10 X the amount of the next highest compensated non P5 conference in just a few years.  That's a gargantuan difference.

I LOVED Versus and CSTV and the mtn. (at the time).  I realize no one agrees, but I still think that's the way the MWC should go rather than be relegated to ESPN+ by the "worldwide leader."  They agree with the P5/G5 differentiation and helped create it - they aren't your friends.  Kowtowing to them and taking whatever they shove you gladly is counter-productive.  And actually bragging about it like the AAC guys are doing seems like being grateful for being enslaved.

(TCU just cracked the Top 10 in tennis!!  Big match tonight though...).

12 hours ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

OK, Mr. We're Holding a Royal Flush, just when will the AAC go ahead and poach some Mountain West schools and which schools will they be?

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

OK, Mr. We're Holding a Royal Flush, just when will the AAC go ahead and poach some Mountain West schools and which schools will they be?

lol...I doubt the AAC does any poaching of the MW.  I was just pointing out that the timing is not right to even consider it right now. I personally have always liked the idea of a nationwide best of the rest conference---but I dont see the AAC presidents doing something like that now that they are getting pretty decent money without the extra travel such a conference would likely entail.  Maybe down road?  Who knows?    

Not sure if this has been mentioned but why not a deal with YouTube?  They are owned by Google.

Simulcast on YouTube and YouTube TV.  Set game times when you want and make Google open their wallet for exclusivity.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

17 hours ago, pesik said:

@fanhood crow?

we had long debated about this.you always said marginal increase from 2.5 to 3 as your original projection, and that at most it would be 4mil and doubted it would be that..

i said i saw 6mil...

reality: 7mil

Pesik emerges!

My prediction was that the increase would put you somewhere between $3 million and $5 million. I did expect it to be on the lower side of that, but I always predicted $3-5, as there are so many variables. I don't remember what you said, but I remember many saying $12 million, which I said was nuts (I thought you were one of those folks).

Nonetheless, the $6.9 million each team gets is spectacular, and far exceeded my expectations. Aresco and company did an solid job. How are those on the AAC Board feeling about it? I don't drop in much, since they strangely banned me a while back.

It will be interesting to see what the MW gets. They MW has the advantage of "going second." They also have the advantage of CBS Sports, and NBC, and the other streaming content carriers needing content. I would predict somewhere around $4 million at this point.