Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

11 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Remember, we didn't have a choice.  They already owned our rights via some deal with Comcast.  They weren't going to broadcast us at all until we threatened to sue.  ESPN only got on board due to Boise.

I doubt we'll see any deals with CBSSN again.  They offered a renewal with no raise and I don't see even Hair finding common ground with them.  We'll be on ESPN and Stadium/MWDN I'd bet.  I do agree with Stunner on one thing though, I'd really like the schools to own their third-tier rights.  That's from a selfish position though as I think CSU (as well as AFA, Wyo, and UNM - maybe USU) would be able to work a decent deal with one of Denver's regional networks.  AT&T Sports, or Altitude.  It wouldn't be great money, but it would be good coverage.

I wouldn't mind tier 3 rights to individual schools either.  The Cali schools would benefit as well.  I think it would be a win for almost all schools and the conference can't seem to put something together for everyone, so I would rather have it left up to each school  

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

To whomever feels I need to concede that a deal exists, an ACC media deal exists (through 2032).  Essentially this deal says that every American team has the equivalent value that BYU does.  Hopefully BYU ups that number in the near future.

The MW might take Facebook money, but I don't think CT said anything specific.  In 2017 he said that a deal with ESPN and Google might make sense (pre-BAMTech acquisition by Disney that underlies ESPN +) but that the MW would wait and see how the market develops.

The major upside for the MW is that rights fees INCREASED by about four times for the American.  ESPN will understand that the price of Window 4 content is going up to reflect where both BYU and the American are priced.

ESPN can't make a deal with the MW until after CBS's exclusive window expires, but I still expect that the MW will get an exclusive deal with ESPN that is 

Your spin is that the AAC just signed a new 12 year deal roughly equivalent to what BYU signed 7 years ago, so that this somehow means something about BYU?

Also....nice to see you backing away from your nonsense assertion that ESPN already passed on signing a new deal with the AAC, BYU and Boise....

Reality Check:

Congrats to the AAC.

Expect BYU to announce a new deal with ESPN in June, at its media day.   That ESPN just gave the AAC a big raise is great news for BYU.

5 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

What sucks is that the MWC is going to make less than the AAC.  I know, I know.  P6.  But for a lot of the programs in that conference, they just got a nice raise.  The BE holdovers can't be too happy though.  I just hope the MW doesn't do something stupid like Stadium or Facebook only.  At least ESPN+ still has the ESPN name.  No one knows WTF Stadium is and FB is not ideal.  People won't watch sports on FB and with all of the privacy issues that FB is facing, who knows how viable FB will be long term.  

I remember when TCU played Boise on Versus back in the day and it was a big game for the conference and for the national landscape.  Most people didn't even know WTF Versus was or where to find it.  Accessibility matters.  

the BE is 'only' getting 5 million per year now in TV money compared to our 7 million...so we have a better TV contract than the BE.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

the BE is 'only' getting 5 million per year now in TV money compared to our 7 million...so we have a better TV contract than the BE.

Didn't the old BE turn down like $11 mil per back in the day?  Different conference composition I know, but I would think schools like UCONN and Cincy can't be thrilled with $7 per when they were used to the money from the break-up pot recently as well, but like you said, nowhere really to go.  They probably aren't happy but cant do shit about it  

Guest #1Stunner
19 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Remember, we didn't have a choice.  They already owned our rights via some deal with Comcast.  They weren't going to broadcast us at all until we threatened to sue.  ESPN only got on board due to Boise.

I doubt we'll see any deals with CBSSN again.  They offered a renewal with no raise and I don't see even Hair finding common ground with them.  We'll be on ESPN and Stadium/MWDN I'd bet.  I do agree with Stunner on one thing though, I'd really like the schools to own their third-tier rights.  That's from a selfish position though as I think CSU (as well as AFA, Wyo, and UNM - maybe USU) would be able to work a decent deal with one of Denver's regional networks.  AT&T Sports, or Altitude.  It wouldn't be great money, but it would be good coverage.

The schools owning their tier 3 rights has been a great thing for the WCC.  It'd be great for the MWC as well (better than the MWC Network).  MWC Network can still stream all games out of market.

AFA, WYO, CSU, and maybe even Denver can package sell their rights together, to Altitude.  Great idea.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

True..... But....

When is the Big East contract up for renewal?

Just now, Wyobraska said:

Didn't the old BE turn down like $11 mil per back in the day?  Different conference composition I know, but I would think schools like UCONN and Cincy can't be thrilled with $7 per when they were used to the money from the break-up pot recently as well, but like you said, nowhere really to go.  They probably aren't happy but cant do shit about it  

yes they did...but the deciding votes were the 'Catholic 5' or founding BE hoops members which also voted to break away.

but yes THEY did decline a BILLION dollar TV deal that we are now gladly accepting.

we were worth more together than separate but they F'ed that all up. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, #1Stunner said:

True..... But....

When is the Big East contract up for renewal?

you shut your filthy mouth! lmfao i dunno but yeah, I see what you're saying

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner

yes they did...but the deciding votes were the 'Catholic 5' or founding BE hoops members which also voted to break away.

but yes THEY did decline a BILLION dollar TV deal that we are now gladly accepting.

we were worth more together than separate but they F'ed that all up. 

Wasn't that a deal for when the Big East had W. Virginia, Rutgers, Louisville, and the Catholic Schools?

Deal went down in value after they left.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

you shut your filthy mouth! lmfao i dunno but yeah, I see what you're saying

This should solidify UConn in the conference.

Only bad thing about the new deal is ESPN+.  It might hurt the conference exposure, and limit viewership to existing fans.   Boxing killed itself to getting new fans in the younger generation when it switched to a pay per view model.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Wasn't that a deal for when the Big East had W. Virginia, Rutgers, Louisville, and the Catholic Schools?

Deal went down in value after they left.

I just remember at one point there were technically only 4 all-sport members and 5 non-football schools remaining...when they had the voting advantage they did that

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

This should solidify UConn in the conference.

Only bad thing about the new deal is ESPN+.  It might hurt the conference exposure, and limit viewership to existing fans.   Boxing killed itself to getting new fans in the younger generation when it switched to a pay per view model.

yep. last time we took high exposure with less money...thins time way better money but the AAC is being used to grow ESPN+

it's a balance and it WILL matter...that said, I would have made the same decision as Aresco.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, UofMTigers said:

I just remember at one point there were technically only 4 all-sport members and 5 non-football schools remaining...when they had the voting advantage they did that

It will be interesting to see how big BYU's, Boises's and the MWC's TV deals end up.

This might be an opportunity for the AAC to poach a couple Western schools.

Guest #1Stunner

yep. last time we took high exposure with less money...thins time way better money but the AAC is being used to grow ESPN+

it's a balance and it WILL matter...that said, I would have made the same decision as Aresco.

The ABC, ESPN, and CBS exposure will help somewhat.

I think when everything settles the MW will have a deal somewhat below the AAC but way above the MAC, SunBelt, and CUSA.

Basically I think the media deals will segregate the FBS leagues into P5+T2+B3:

P5 (the Power 5)

T2 (the tweeners AAC and MWC)

B3 (the bottom 3 leagues)

18 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

The Big East teams get 4 million each now.  Interestingly, the last season the C7 and Big East were all together---the all sports teams like UConn and W Virginia were getting less than 4 million a year from media.   In fact, in 2020---the first year of the new deal, UConn will get more from media (7 million) than they ever received before---including their BIg East days.    The Big East really wasnt paid all that well.  They were just getting to where they were going to get a decent pay day when the whole thing blew up.  

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

I think when everything settles the MW will have a deal somewhat below the AAC but way above the MAC, SunBelt, and CUSA.

Basically I think the media deals will segregate the FBS leagues into P5+T2+B3:

P5 (the Power 5)

T2 (the tweeners AAC and MWC)

B3 (the bottom 3 leagues)

Think of it like this...

If Hair Thompson negotiates a similar 12 year deal, for $2M less per school, per year, over the life of the 12 year deal, the 11 team MWC will make $264M less than the AAC.

6 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The Big East teams get 4 million each now.  Interestingly, the last season the C7 and Big East were all together---the all sports teams like UConn and W Virginia were getting less than 4 million a year from media.   In fact, in 2020---the first year of the new deal, UConn will get more from media (7 million) than they ever received before---including their BIg East days.    The Big East really wasnt paid all that well.  They were just getting to where they were going to get a decent pay day when the whole thing blew up.  

How much did those schools make the last few years with funds from the "war chest?"  I think that is what it was called.  

1 hour ago, Headbutt said:

Regional sports networks are dying which is why Disney is having a hard time to rid the Fox RSNs they have to give up.  They only work on the cable model which is losing subscribers by the hundreds of thousands each quarter.