Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

Just now, boisewitha-s said:

i would have thought you guys being a p6 conference and all would have got 4 BILLION for 12 years. 

Lol

come on...it's just marketing BUT with this new deal I'd say it's working.

hopefully this bodes well for the next MWC deal 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

You really think calling yourselves p6 helped you get a few more bucks from espn? 

Not sure what it means for the mw but in the big scheme of things when p5 conferences are getting 30 mil a year per school we are all behind the 8 ball in trying to compete. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

28 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The "CBS" deal is with CBS----not CBS Sports Network.  It only covers about  6 to 8 games  and currently pays between 1 and 2 million year.   CBS does get gets first pick from the basketball inventory.  Even if the CBS deal doubles or triples---its only going be 250K to maybe $500K per team.    That said, CBS-Sports is also paying something for the Navy games (guessing 2 to 4 million a year).  So, all told, perhaps another 8 million or so a year might need to be added to the 83 million dollar per year total.   So---its possible it could get to around 7.5 million per team for a media payout.  

It’s with CBSSN.  

Same was said on our deal but the games are on CBSSN and so will the AAC.

1 minute ago, boisewitha-s said:

You really think calling yourselves p6 helped you get a few more bucks from espn? 

Not sure what it means for the mw but in the big scheme of things when p5 conferences are getting 30 mil a year per school we are all behind the 8 ball in trying to compete. 

I think having a Commish who actually tries to market his conference is preferable to having Craig Thompson

mem skyline sig.jpeg

13 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I hope so.  But knowing hair we will take a pay cut. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, thatsmymammy said:

Why doesn't anyone want to get rid of him?

He must have dirt on most of the presidents and athletic directors. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I hope so.  But knowing hair we will take a pay cut. 

I think Britton Banowsky was actually a better commish...and that's saying something.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I think having a Commish who actually tries to market his conference is preferable to having Craig Thompson

The Rest Go’s marketing is very wwe ish.  

Posted Image

16 minutes ago, edluvar said:

How much is espn +?  

I think it’s like $10 a month. 

3 hours ago, DrBulldog said:

Clearly AAC hitching their wagon to ESPN last go around did them wonders vs our CBSSN centric agreement.

Remember, we didn't have a choice.  They already owned our rights via some deal with Comcast.  They weren't going to broadcast us at all until we threatened to sue.  ESPN only got on board due to Boise.

I doubt we'll see any deals with CBSSN again.  They offered a renewal with no raise and I don't see even Hair finding common ground with them.  We'll be on ESPN and Stadium/MWDN I'd bet.  I do agree with Stunner on one thing though, I'd really like the schools to own their third-tier rights.  That's from a selfish position though as I think CSU (as well as AFA, Wyo, and UNM - maybe USU) would be able to work a decent deal with one of Denver's regional networks.  AT&T Sports, or Altitude.  It wouldn't be great money, but it would be good coverage.

47 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

It’s with CBSSN.  

Same was said on our deal but the games are on CBSSN and so will the AAC.

Its a small separate deal.  Our CBS-Sports Network games are actually sublicensed from ESPN.  This is a first tier deal for the AAC has directly with CBS-OTA.  For instance, Houston vs Cinci was under that deal this year and it was on CBS-OTA.    The AAC has no direct deal with CBS-Sports Network.  

What sucks is that the MWC is going to make less than the AAC.  I know, I know.  P6.  But for a lot of the programs in that conference, they just got a nice raise.  The BE holdovers can't be too happy though.  I just hope the MW doesn't do something stupid like Stadium or Facebook only.  At least ESPN+ still has the ESPN name.  No one knows WTF Stadium is and FB is not ideal.  People won't watch sports on FB and with all of the privacy issues that FB is facing, who knows how viable FB will be long term.  

I remember when TCU played Boise on Versus back in the day and it was a big game for the conference and for the national landscape.  Most people didn't even know WTF Versus was or where to find it.  Accessibility matters.