Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Now that we know the entirety of the AAC deal, including how much of its product will be subjugated to ESPN+, we pretty much know as fact that a majority of MW games will be on Facebook. That sucks the royal dong of course but I was being my usual sarcastic self in saying that we mighty Western Mountaineers will get only $3M apiece.

How much will we get? Clearly less than what the AAC will earn, so markedly less than $7M per, so somewhere between $3M and $7M. My guess is ~$5.5M. Your guess?

The one positive about Facebook is we won’t be behind a paywall.  Plus we will be able to stream the games on the mwcboard.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

Its really not that different.  Looks like the stuff that was on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN-News will stay the same.  The AAC always had some content on ESPN-3.  The difference is the games we had on CBS-Sports Network (about 13 football games) will be heading to ESPN+.  We also had a significant number of basketball games on CBS-Sports (maybe 20-25+/)-  Those will get stuck on ESPN+ as well.  Kinda sucks as that is trading a national network with 50-60 million subscribers for a streaming network with barely over 2 million subscribers.  But---at least we can start those games whatever times we want---so fewer 11am starts I suppose.   Thats about the only turd polishing that can be done on that ESPN+ angle.

It sucks for the fans to be forced to subscribe to ESPN+ but your right it might not be a big deal. The amount of games on regular networks vs ESPN+ remains to be seen but the deal is a good one. Tulsa guy didn't have to try to make it look better than it was by omitting that football and basketball would be on ESPN+ as well.

9 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

How much will we get? Clearly less than what the AAC will earn, or markedly less than $7M per, so somewhere between $3M and $7M. My guess is ~$5.5M. Your guess?

Boise gets $5.5 million, the rest get $3M per team

19 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Now that we know the entirety of the AAC deal, including how much of its product will be subjugated to ESPN+, we pretty much know as fact that a majority of MW games will be on Facebook. That sucks the royal dong of course but I was being my usual sarcastic self in saying that we mighty Western Mountaineers will get only $3M apiece.

How much will we get? Clearly less than what the AAC will earn, or markedly less than $7M per, so somewhere between $3M and $7M. My guess is ~$5.5M. Your guess?

Not the entirety, just the part with ESPN...the CBS side of the deal and their content is yet to be negotiated

34 minutes ago, pesik said:

Not the entirety, just the part with ESPN...the CBS side of the deal and their content is yet to be negotiated

It already done basically with Navy signing the deal with CBSSN.

I was looking on the AAC board and they are speculating that the additional money from CBS for basketball etc. will raise the value of the contract to about 7.5 or 7.6 million per school. Don't know if this is accurate but it seems reasonable.  Will the AAC expand under this deal. If so I hope they stay east. Army might fit them well and increase their TV viewership as well. We really don't need them to take any western schools. Unless we could convince them to take SJSU or AFA.

For me, while I know the schools want $$, the TV part is a small portion of the overall revenue. 

I want access to see games and as you already know that I am s big fan of Stadium.  I don’t want Facebook games but games on Stadium and the MWDN to see the games for free and at a time I can watch them living in the Central time zone.

If it’s with CBSSN again it’ll suck and rather have NBCSN as they are on the basic tier of most cable and OTT platforms.  

8 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

For me, while I know the schools want $$, the TV part is a small portion of the overall revenue. 

I want access to see games and as you already know that I am s big fan of Stadium.  I don’t want Facebook games but games on Stadium and the MWDN to see the games for free and at a time I can watch them living in the Central time zone.

If it’s with CBSSN again it’ll suck and rather have NBCSN as they are on the basic tier of most cable and OTT platforms.  

Stadium and MWDN just need to invest in their product so it isn't garbage with awful announcers.  Some of the stuff they've done was actually pretty cool (like the umpire camera) - but the whole product just seems super low-budget like a local tv news group. One of the games - wasn't the goal post in the field of vision on the camera half of the time. 

8 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Stadium and MWDN just need to invest in their product so it isn't garbage with awful announcers.  Some of the stuff they've done was actually pretty cool (like the umpire camera) - but the whole product just seems super low-budget like a local tv news group. One of the games - wasn't the goal post in the field of vision on the camera half of the time. 

The MWDN games are produced by the school so it will be up to them. However, some of them like Nevada and Air Force are simulcast with the radio announcers.  

However, the first round of the tournament was done well I think since it was produced and announced by the MW staff. It’s just a matter of getting more games like that.  Pretty much the volleyball games the were shown on Stadium OTA were better produced.

2 hours ago, tspoke said:

Leaving out a bit of that paragraph aren't you. Here's what it says completely.

You guys got a good amount of money but most games being on ESPN+ sucks. I understand why they did it and I imagine we would do the same. You guys got a good deal you don't have to lie to try to make it look better than it is.

My error and my bad.  I dropped a line  There was no attempt to deceive, which is hard to do when info is plastered all over the internet.

Perhaps the lesson here is that the sports dollar has peaked.  FOX dropped the Big12 Championship game it was supposed to carry every other year.  Comcast got into an argument with B1G about carrying FS1 Big Ten games.  The Regional Sports Networks are having trouble being sold.  Amazon, based on one article I read, is interested only in the YES Network because it carries the Yankees and is not interested in purchasing any other.  AAC Commissioner Aresco shopped AAC everywhere and anywhere....and came back to ESPN.

To whomever feels I need to concede that a deal exists, an ACC media deal exists (through 2032).  Essentially this deal says that every American team has the equivalent value that BYU does.  Hopefully BYU ups that number in the near future.

The MW might take Facebook money, but I don't think CT said anything specific.  In 2017 he said that a deal with ESPN and Google might make sense (pre-BAMTech acquisition by Disney that underlies ESPN +) but that the MW would wait and see how the market develops.

The major upside for the MW is that rights fees INCREASED by about four times for the American.  ESPN will understand that the price of Window 4 content is going up to reflect where both BYU and the American are priced.

ESPN can't make a deal with the MW until after CBS's exclusive window expires, but I still expect that the MW will get an exclusive deal with ESPN that is 

2 hours ago, 1066 said:

I was looking on the AAC board and they are speculating that the additional money from CBS for basketball etc. will raise the value of the contract to about 7.5 or 7.6 million per school. Don't know if this is accurate but it seems reasonable.  Will the AAC expand under this deal. If so I hope they stay east. Army might fit them well and increase their TV viewership as well. We really don't need them to take any western schools. Unless we could convince them to take SJSU or AFA.

The "CBS" deal is with CBS----not CBS Sports Network.  It only covers about  6 to 8 games  and currently pays between 1 and 2 million year.   CBS does get gets first pick from the basketball inventory.  Even if the CBS deal doubles or triples---its only going be 250K to maybe $500K per team.    That said, CBS-Sports is also paying something for the Navy games (guessing 2 to 4 million a year).  So, all told, perhaps another 8 million or so a year might need to be added to the 83 million dollar per year total.   So---its possible it could get to around 7.5 million per team for a media payout.  

3 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

2.5.  And Thompson will be happy about it.

5 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

The "CBS" deal is with CBS----not CBS Sports Network.  It only covers about  6 to 8 games  and currently pays between 1 and 2 million year.   CBS does get gets first pick from the basketball inventory.  Even if the CBS deal doubles or triples---its only going be 250K to maybe $500K per team.  

it's just the cherry on top for the AAC...

mem skyline sig.jpeg