Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

AAC Media Rights Deal

Interesting, not bad but not incredible. I think the Memphis AD was thinking 10ish a year per school right? Nice raise though.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, MWC Tex said:

BYU will renew for much less.

The WCC already signed a new deal with ESPN last week.

Tier 3 rights in the WCC are still owned by the individual schools.

Now all BYU has to sign is another ESPN deal for football.   And it will be locked in for the next, whatever years....

AAC, ESPN AGREE TO 12-YEAR MEDIA DEAL WORTH $1B by Michael Smith and John Ourand, Sports Business Daily, March 19,, 2019

This is the last paragraph in the article.

"The comprehensive deal provides ESPN with rights to all of the AAC's live programming except for a small package of basketball games on CBS and some Navy football games on CBS Sports Network.  The new contract also calls for some Saturday football games to be broadcast on ABC.  Football, along with men's and women's basketball, will remain on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU.  Other live sports including baseball, softball and soccer will air on ESPN+.  Renewal talks with CBS have not begun."

That seems like a pretty good deal and as obnoxious as a lot of their fans are,  I can't say they didn't deserve it. They've out performed us the last few years and have an ambitious commissioner that is actually committed to promoting his conference and teams that are investing in their programs.

As an aside, and somewhat humorous, the projected Memphis athletic budget had penciled in $6,946,715 for the first year of the new AAC TV contract.  This was the athletic budget the Memphis newspaper obtained thru a Freedom of Information request.

1 hour ago, teappotts said:

Interesting, not bad but not incredible. I think the Memphis AD was thinking 10ish a year per school right? Nice raise though.

$6,946,715 was the figure included in the projected first year of the new AAC contract in the budget obtained by a Memphis newspaper via a Freedom of Information request.  I don't think the Memphis AD every publicly stated a number but I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Tulsa Guy said:

Getting some of the details in the contract regarding exposure will be nice.  AAC played 3 football games on ABC on Saturday in 2018 and it will be interesting to see what the new number will be.

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

BYU will renew for much less.

Agreed.

Well, agreed provided you mean that:

1. BYU will get about $6M and

2. King Craig will get Mark Zuckerberg to pay $3M/year/school provided that all MW broadcasts are via Facebook and provided that Thompson agrees to hold Facebook harmless for the inadvertent release of videos of our beloved commissioner's monthly hair coloring.

Boom goes the dynamite.

45 minutes ago, Tulsa Guy said:

AAC, ESPN AGREE TO 12-YEAR MEDIA DEAL WORTH $1B by Michael Smith and John Ourand, Sports Business Daily, March 19,, 2019

This is the last paragraph in the article.

"The comprehensive deal provides ESPN with rights to all of the AAC's live programming except for a small package of basketball games on CBS and some Navy football games on CBS Sports Network.  The new contract also calls for some Saturday football games to be broadcast on ABC.  Football, along with men's and women's basketball, will remain on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPNU.  Other live sports including baseball, softball and soccer will air on ESPN+.  Renewal talks with CBS have not begun."

Leaving out a bit of that paragraph aren't you. Here's what it says completely.

The comprehensive deal provides ESPN with rights to all of the AAC’s live programming, except for a small package of basketball games on CBS and some Navy football games on CBS Sports Network. The new contract also calls for some Saturday football games to be broadcast on ABC. Football, along with men's and women's basketball, will remain on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU, but the majority of basketball games and a significant number of the football games will go to ESPN+. Other live sports including baseball, softball and soccer also will air on ESPN+. Renewal talks with CBS have not begun.

You guys got a good amount of money but most games being on ESPN+ sucks. I understand why they did it and I imagine we would do the same. You guys got a good deal you don't have to lie to try to make it look better than it is.

5 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Leaving out a bit of that paragraph aren't you. Here's what it says completely.

You guys got a good amount of money but most games being on ESPN+ sucks. I understand why they did it and I imagine we would do the same. You guys got a good deal you don't have to lie to try to make it look better than it is.

Its really not that different.  Looks like the stuff that was on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/ESPN-News will stay the same.  The AAC always had some content on ESPN-3.  The difference is the games we had on CBS-Sports Network (about 13 football games) will be heading to ESPN+.  We also had a significant number of basketball games on CBS-Sports (maybe 20-25+/)-  Those will get stuck on ESPN+ as well.  Kinda sucks as that is trading a national network with 50-60 million subscribers for a streaming network with barely over 2 million subscribers.  But---at least we can start those games whatever times we want---so fewer 11am starts I suppose.   Thats about the only turd polishing that can be done on that ESPN+ angle.

Now that we know the entirety of the AAC deal, including how much of its product will be subjugated to ESPN+, we pretty much know as fact that a majority of MW games will be on Facebook. That sucks the royal dong of course but I was being my usual sarcastic self in saying that we mighty Western Mountaineers will get only $3M apiece.

How much will we get? Clearly less than what the AAC will earn, or markedly less than $7M per, so somewhere between $3M and $7M. My guess is ~$5.5M. Your guess?

Boom goes the dynamite.