Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Poll: How far will Nevada and Utah State go in the NCAAs?

NCAA Tournament  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How far does Nevada go?

• First Round
    • Second Round
    • Sweet 16
    • Elite 8
    • Final 4
    • Championship Game
    • NCAA Tournament Champion
  2. 2. How far does Utah State go?

• First Round
    • Second Round
    • Sweet 16
    • Elite 8
    • Final 4
    • Championship Game
    • NCAA Tournament Champion

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/21/2019 at 10:51 PM

@mugtang  Aren't the play in games now called the "first round?'

I think the first game we play is the second rd. 

Regardless, I have NV & USU winning their first game and losing the second.  I am more confident that USU will beat Washington that I am that we will beat Florida.  

If we get past the Gators, we will have to play a historically good game to beat Michigan.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

52 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

@mugtang  Aren't the play in games now called the "first round?'

I think the first game we play is the second rd. 

Regardless, I have NV & USU winning their first game and losing the second.  I am more confident that USU will beat Washington that I am that we will beat Florida.  

If we get past the Gators, we will have to play a historically good game to beat Michigan.  

Nah I think they changed it back to 'first four' a couple of years ago, and the round of 64 was the first round again

8k3esKz.png

I think Nevada matches up really well with Michigan better than Florida. Throughout the season I was dreaming of a scenario where both may get the chance to play each other. Florida is a monster and reminds me a lot of Arizona State moreso than San Diego St. I think Nevada edges Florida and runs past Michigan then faces Buffalo in the 16 in a slugfest but loses to Gonzaga in the elite 8. 

With how down the PAC has been, Wash is still legit and I think they will catch USU off guard and roll them. I just don’t see the aggies getting out of their first round funk that’s haunted them every time they make the ncaas.

7 minutes ago, cardrater said:

I think Nevada matches up really well with Michigan better than Florida. Throughout the season I was dreaming of a scenario where both may get the chance to play each other. Florida is a monster and reminds me a lot of Arizona State moreso than San Diego St. I think Nevada edges Florida and runs past Michigan then faces Buffalo in the 16 in a slugfest but loses to Gonzaga in the elite 8. 

With how down the PAC has been, Wash is still legit and I think they will catch USU off guard and roll them. I just don’t see the aggies getting out of their first round funk that’s haunted them every time they make the ncaas.

I sure hope you are right.  Michigan looked really good in the games I've seen.  Final Four good. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I sure hope you are right.  Michigan looked really good in the games I've seen.  Final Four good. 

To me I don't think they have looked as good now as they did earlier in the season. 

42 minutes ago, cardrater said:

I don't think the team/programs performance under Stew Morrill nearly a decade ago has anything to do with this years team and program. Those teams were horrible in the NCAAT because Stew intentionally played nobody OOC or in conference that challenged them athletically. It was a double edged sword because USU would then get a 12 seed or worse and be shell shocked not used to playing that level of competition. That's different this year as USU has played some very good teams in conference and OOC that had athletes. I also think USU is too well coached to be caught off guard in an NCAAT game. We shall see... 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

How I see it:

USU over UW (60% win chance, margin of victory ~10 points), but loses by that margin to UNC.

Nevada over UF (55% win chance if Caroline is 100%, margin of victory 3-5 points), plays a hard fought game against Michigan but loses by ~5 points.

For reference, here's NMSU:

NMSU vs. Auburn (30% win chance, margin of loss 5-8 points)

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Reno beats FL loses to MI

That’s what I have in my bracket. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, toonkee said:

not willing to pout any bad juju out there, eh?

Nah. Just a realist.  If we make it to the sweet 16 I’ll be pleasantly surprised.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Natty or bust

:cheer:

43 minutes ago, GoNMSUAggies said:

How I see it:

USU over UW (60% win chance, margin of victory ~10 points), but loses by that margin to UNC.

Nevada over UF (55% win chance if Caroline is 100%, margin of victory 3-5 points), plays a hard fought game against Michigan but loses by ~5 points.

For reference, here's NMSU:

NMSU vs. Auburn (30% win chance, margin of loss 5-8 points)

I'm hoping NMSU upsets Auburn! 

5 hours ago, madmartigan said:

I don't think the team/programs performance under Stew Morrill nearly a decade ago has anything to do with this years team and program. Those teams were horrible in the NCAAT because Stew intentionally played nobody OOC or in conference that challenged them athletically. It was a double edged sword because USU would then get a 12 seed or worse and be shell shocked not used to playing that level of competition. That's different this year as USU has played some very good teams in conference and OOC that had athletes. I also think USU is too well coached to be caught off guard in an NCAAT game. We shall see... 

i may get stoned for this, and i preface it by saying i think stew morrill was a very very good coach and we were lucky to have him, but here goes...

after the texas a&m game in 2010 i recall stew saying something like a&m was a team the likes of which they hadn't seen all year and it was a big and almost bridge-too-far kind of adjustment for our players and that's why we lost.  i think it was then that i went from accepting the fact that we didn't play anywhere challenging in OOC play to being categorically against playing cupcakes in OOC.  the common defense to the scheduling philosophy was that 'no one will play us' and i just hated hearing that and didn't believe it anymore.  we could have and should have done anything we could to find at least one of the 50 some odd teams to challenge us.  lo and behold, we did.  very next year we did a 1 and done at georgetown (lost by 17, never challenged them during the entire game) and stew said in the postgame something to the effect of "what good did it do us?"  i thought it was supposed to prepare us for what was a relatively easy road to the NCAA tournament...  but it just felt like he didn't think it was a good idea from the get go and immediately questioned the validity after the game.  on a related but somewhat separate note, during the 2010 WAC tourney when we lost to NMSU, there was a question during the post-game q&a with reporters about how stew felt if we were to miss out on the NCAA tournament because we didn't win our conference tournament. stew said something to the effect of "the WAC is supposed to be a two bid conference, so there's no point in being here in the WAC if we don't go.  might as well return to the big west."  that's just not the mindset of someone who wants to fight and test yourself and win at the highest level possible.  then again, it's may also be what keeps someone around for 17 some odd seasons at the same school...

obviously stew morrill has forgotten more about basketball than i ever will understand, and the man is a usu legend.  we were, again, lucky to have him.  i also am a pretty cowardly blowhard for saying this now, 5 years after stew is gone, rather than voicing these kinds of unpopular opinions at the time.  meh...  it's a sports board.  i believe he set expectations for how we'd perform in the dance that prepared us to fail rather than prepare us to succeed.

this year, we have the following differences:

- different OOC slate.  we played saint mary's, arizona state, and houston.  we also played traditionally decent but not that awesome this year uc-irvine and northern iowa.  i think this is a much more ooc suitable schedule for preparing us to play a tournament caliber team.

- mwc today > wac of yesteryear.  obviously stew is not at all to blame for this, but the benefit persists all the same.  this year we played nevada twice, then sdsu, unm, and fresno 3 times each.  of course the mwc had a down year but nevada has crazy good talent and has been ranked all year.  the other traditionally good teams in the mwc; even though they're under performing, the individual basketball IQ, talent, and natural ability are heads and shoulders above what we ever faced in the WAC.  excepting perhaps NMSU and (of course) nevada.  fresno was with us in the wac, too, but they have been much better over the last 5 years, so i think the comparison of WAC fresno that played USU and MWC fresno that has played USU favors MWC fresno.  boise seems to me to slightly better, but is mostly a wash.

- craig smith's attitude and approach is palpably different.  there's not much more to elaborate on here.

- the year we played kansas state, we ended the regular season ranked 19 and kansas state was ranked 21.  we got a 12 seed, they got a 5 seed.  i think the disparity showed when we actually played.  we only lost by 5, but kansas state led the entire game.

washington may very well beat us this year.  but i doubt it.