Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

South Florida CBI Champions

Yeah West Virginia and DePaul are the first P6 teams to play in it for a few seasons. Was Fresno not invited or did they refuse? It really seems like they were screwed this year.

2 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah West Virginia and DePaul are the first P6 teams to play in it for a few seasons. Was Fresno not invited or did they refuse? It really seems like they were screwed this year.

Saw an article from Huggins who say he saw nothing but advantages for his kids and the team playing in it

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Grand Canyon @ West Virginia

Howard @ Coastle Carolina

Stony Brook @ South Florida

Northridge @ Utah Valley St

C. Michigan @ DePaul

Southern Miss @ Longwood

Loyola MM @ Cal Baptist

UAB @ Brown

I'm pleasantly surprised CSUN is participating. More time for Gottfried to coach em up

Just now, jdgaucho said:

I'm pleasantly surprised CSUN is participating. More time for Gottfried to coach em up

Looking at how CIT is setting up, I am thinking that tournament might be better than CBI this year.

57 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Saw an article from Huggins who say he saw nothing but advantages for his kids and the team playing in it

Muss felt the same way when he got here.  And it springboarded us to where we are. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Muss felt the same way when he got here.  And it springboarded us to where we are. 

Wofford was in it last year, Colgate was in it last year. Also it has helped Loyola-Chicago, Gardner-Webb and Greensboro as well.

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Advantages like having the much bigger arena and get to play at home even though Grand Canyon has a better record. WVU only needs 4,000 in attendance on Wednesday to break even and they're offering $10 tickets and free parking (c/o the EerSports message board). They'll probably double that amount of fans for this game in Morgantown.

13 hours ago, Spot50B said:

That is the best CBI lineup in several years.

the fact that the CBI has WVU, DePaul, USF, UAB, and USM...coupled with the fact SDSU, South Carolina, Texas, and UNLV declined invites tells me it's time to expand the NIT to 64 teams

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

the fact that the CBI has WVU, DePaul, USF, UAB, and USM...coupled with the fact SDSU, South Carolina, Texas, and UNLV declined invites tells me it's time to expand the NIT to 64 teams

Texas is in the NIT #2 seed. UNLV wasn't going to accept a bid to anything without a coach. However I really don't see a reason to move to 64 teams for the NIT. 32 has worked fine, I think we just need a new committee that chooses the NIT

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Texas is in the NIT #2 seed. UNLV wasn't going to accept a bid to anything without a coach. However I really don't see a reason to move to 64 teams for the NIT. 32 has worked fine, I think we just need a new committee that chooses the NIT

NIT will always be slanted towards .500 or better BE teams since it was started by NY sports writers.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

20 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

NIT will always be slanted towards .500 or better BE teams since it was started by NY sports writers.

But honestly I wasn't sure MWC was going to get any teams in the NIT yesterday. But seeing all the BE teams and then San Diego get in...that really burned my bottom

7 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I've never understood why so many schools turn this down. 

It usually turns out to be a pay-to-play, costing the University some cash.  But I tend to agree with you.  Unless your team is stacked with seniors that won't be back next year, I don't know why a school would turn down the opportunity to get underclassmen some additional playing time vs outside competition.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

47 minutes ago, pokebball said:

It usually turns out to be a pay-to-play, costing the University some cash.  But I tend to agree with you.  Unless your team is stacked with seniors that won't be back next year, I don't know why a school would turn down the opportunity to get underclassmen some additional playing time vs outside competition.

I get it, but it's not like it's a budget breaker. Good for the fans, good for the players, good for the school. Leon has turned them down in the past. I'm all for extra games. 

1 hour ago, kingpotato said:

I've never understood why so many schools turn this down. 

There is some money involved where they don't want to pay for a right to be in the tournament especially if you can't guarantee a home game out of the tournament.

However also part of the truth is the schools think anything that isn't NIT or NCAA is beneath them.

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

48 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I get it, but it's not like it's a budget breaker. Good for the fans, good for the players, good for the school. Leon has turned them down in the past. I'm all for extra games. 

8 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

There is some money involved where they don't want to pay for a right to be in the tournament especially if you can't guarantee a home game out of the tournament.

However also part of the truth is the schools think anything that isn't NIT or NCAA is beneath them.

I've found differing result regarding the "pay-to-play" aspect of the CBI. I believe the second one is correct. Teams wishing to host a game pay, and the further you go into the tournament, the more you pay. A couple years ago, Nevada actaully made a good chunk of change (aprrox $300k) with the CBI because the attendance/ticket sales more than made up for the hosting expense. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2826331-cbi-2019-tournament-bracket-schedule-format-and-teams-to-watch

https://www.insidenu.com/2015/3/6/8159733/cbi-college-basketball-invitational-tournament-northwestern

To host a CBI game, teams have to pay $50,000, and that fee goes up to $75,000 for the right to host semifinals. It ain't cheap, but it can give young teams that are showing improvement a chance to keep playing.

If an athletic department can do a good job marketing, there's no reason money should be factor in accepting a CBI bid.