Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Radical authoritarian right in Kentucky are attempting to practically ban abortion

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Doesn’t the Supreme Court ruling in Roe vs Wade take precedence? 

It should, and a judge in the Western District of Kentucky has already put a TRO in place.

3 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Doesn’t the Supreme Court ruling in Roe vs Wade take precedence? 

The plan is to use a law such as this one in Kentucky to overturn Roe v. Wade.  I doubt the current Court is going to overturn Roe v. Wade on the heartbeat claim.  Sure, Thomas, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh will always vote with the Tea Party.  The others, not so much. 

2 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

The plan is to use a law such as this one in Kentucky to overturn Roe v. Wade.  I doubt the current Court is going to overturn Roe v. Wade on the heartbeat claim.  Sure, Thomas, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh will always vote with the Tea Party.  The others, not so much. 

Yep, this has been a GOP strategy for when they acquired what they believed to be an unassailable court majority.

7 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

California has declared itself a sanctuary state to protect illegals, so I guess it isn’t that far fetched that Kentucky can declare themselves anti abortion to protect the unborn. 

Even if stupid laws like this were to stand, it wouldn’t stop abortions from happening. Women will either go to other states or they’ll turn to the black market.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Even if stupid laws like this were to stand, it wouldn’t stop abortions from happening. Women will either go to other states or they’ll turn to the black market.

Agreed. And which is why I’m not anti abortion. Better it be done by a doctor in a clinic or hospital instead of in a back alley. 

Just now, soupslam1 said:

Agreed. And which is why I’m not anti abortion. 

I’m against late stage abortion as I find it immoral unless there is a catastrophic medical circumstance. But early stage abortion needs to remain legal or we’re only going to create more social problems than we already have.

3 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I’m against late stage abortion as I find it immoral unless there is a catastrophic medical circumstance. But early stage abortion needs to remain legal or we’re only going to create more social problems than we already have.

I also agree. In the case of late term situations, if the mother doesn’t want the child, give birth and give it up for adoption. 

4 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

People don’t even know they’re pregnant at 6 weeks. Why not just make it 30 seconds? 

Which is why I phrased the title as a practical ban on abortion.

Morally and scientifically, there isn't much difference between an early abortion and a late term abortion:

Human beings develop at an astonishingly rapid pace. Giving a quick recitation of the child's development will weaken the "not a person yet" mentality.

• The cardiovascular system is the first major system to function. At about 22 days after conception the child's heart begins to circulate his own blood, unique to that of his mother's, and his heartbeat can be detected on ultrasound.[14]
  • At just six weeks, the child's eyes and eye lids, nose, mouth, and tongue have formed.
  • Electrical brain activity can be detected at six or seven weeks,[15] and by the end of the eighth week, the child, now known scientifically as a "fetus," has developed all of his organs and bodily structures.[16]
  • By ten weeks after conception the child can make bodily movements.
110926run_defense710.jpg

13 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

People don’t even know they’re pregnant at 6 weeks. Why not just make it 30 seconds? 

Yeah and now look at modestobulldog's post or even look at Mayo Clinic Fetal Development.  Thing is by the time one knows they are pregnant, that human has developed quite a bit. 

14 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

That's almost everyone (against late term abortions which no abortion provider will really do these days anyway unless there's huge medical risk)

I think a healthier debate as to pro-life/choice should be "when" instead of "always" or "never".  At some point, everyone recognizes it's a human life that shouldn't be terminated.

The Catholic church taught us that life begins at conception.  But 40-60% of fertilized eggs don't make it past the first trimester.  If ensoulment happens at conception then heaven is filled with the souls of as many unborn as born, which makes no sense either.

These moderate supporters of abortions crack me up. "Ripping a baby limb by limb from its mothers womb is OK until six months. After that it's kinda yucky."

If they lived in nazi Germany, they'd be OK with killing Jews by firing squad, but wld find that oven stuff a little off putting.

11 minutes ago, Extra Mayo said:

These moderate supporters of abortions crack me up. "Ripping a baby limb by limb from its mothers womb is OK until six months. After that it's kinda yucky."

If they lived in nazi Germany, they'd be OK with killing Jews by firing squad, but wld find that oven stuff a little off putting.

I’m pragmatic about it. I don’t think a fetus should ever be aborted, but the fact is before Roe vs Wade, abortions still occurred by coat hanger or some other grisly manner. Better that they are done by a doctor in a clinic or hospital. If the mother doesn’t want the child adoption is the better alternative. 

2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I’m pragmatic about it. I don’t think a fetus should ever be aborted, but the fact is before Roe vs Wade, abortions still occurred by coat hanger or some other grisly manner. Better that they are done by a doctor in a clinic or hospital. If the mother doesn’t want the child adoption is the better alternative. 

I disagree.

I don't think it's pragmatic at all to bend our laws to facilitate usurpation of God Given Rights. 

And for anyone who thinks safety is a concern, I invite you to watch the movie abt Kermit Gosnell, and the Center for Medical Progress's expose on PP. If you can stomach it. If you can't, then take my word for it, that "Grisly" ship has sailed out if view