Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aslowhiteguy

NIT bids?

5 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

We will find out in about an hour or so. With how the brackets shook out, if MWC gets a bid it will only be one school I think. I think it probably would be Fresno

That's the most likely scenario.  I'm hoping SDSU sneaks in too.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

It would probably be Fresno but for how they weren't ever in their tournament game against Utah State whereas SDSU took the Aggies to the wire yesterday.

I also think that if the NIT was looking for one of us to host a first-round game, there's no way they would choose Fresno over SDSU. Even as disappointing as this season was, we'd get at least 7K in Viegas Arena whereas Fresno doesn't draw flies.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That's the most likely scenario.  I'm hoping SDSU sneaks in too.

Well let's do this:

1) Greensboro

2) Alabama

3) Indiana

4) TCU

5) Campbell

6) Wright St

7) St. Francis PA

8) Harvard

9) Hofstra

10) South Dakota St

11) Sam Houston St

12) Norfolk St

So actually only 20 spots left. We know NC State is going to get one along with Memphis. So that leaves 18 now

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It would probably be Fresno but for how they weren't ever in their tournament game against Utah State whereas SDSU took the Aggies to the wire yesterday.

I also think that if the NIT was looking for one of us to host a first-round game, there's no way they would choose Fresno over SDSU. Even as disappointing as this season was, we'd get at least 7K in Viegas Arena whereas Fresno doesn't draw flies.

You can't base it off of one game though... and we beat you guys twice. :P

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

You can't base it off of one game though... and we beat you guys twice. :P

My premise wasn't that we deserve to be chosen over you - I'd say that if it's all about merit, we're pretty even - just that when it comes to the NIT, a higher priority is selling tickets and TV ratings and we have a better brand.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

My premise wasn't that we deserve to be chosen over you - I'd say that if it's all about merit, we're pretty even - just that when it comes to the NIT, a higher priority is selling tickets and TV ratings and we have a better brand.

Money is the higher priority.

And then there's the CBI and CIT waiting for the leftovers.

th?id=OIP.UGWFJY8TDkcTyUP0JHyhUQHaGO&pid=15.1&P=0&w=192&h=162

My suspicion is this.

The NIT will choose one Molehill Worst team. Not zero, not two, but one.

That team will be Fresno if the NIT decides not to have the MWC team host a first-round game. However, if the NIT decides it wants the MWC school to host a first-round game because so many regular season champs of no-name conferences got automatic berths but can't get more than 4K fans in their SJSU sized-arenas, SDSU will be the choice.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, crixus said:

I have heard for two years now that CIT is on its last legs. With CBI I think they are still growing some schools have used that as a jump off for the next year for NIT or NCAA

10 minutes ago, crixus said:

SDSU has already announced, as it did two years ago at this time, that it won't accept an offer to those tournaments.

My understanding is no such offer could come from the CIT since that tournament since it doesn't allow any "major" conference teams in and the CIT considers the MWC to be a "major" conference. As to the CBI, although I don't agree with the rationale, since participants aren't given any percentage of income it earns and SDSU isn't willing to pay the entire cost of having its team participate, we won't accept an offer if one is made. Personally, I just don't get that. If you send only the team and coaches, how much could it possibly cost? Ten grand for a couple games? Fifteen grand for three maybe? Considering the extra practice and playing time our returning players would receive, that's just penny wise and pound foolish. Which is exactly the kind of penurious approach that has held down SDSU sports for decades.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

SDSU has already announced, as it did two years ago at this time, that it won't accept an offer to those tournaments.

My understanding is no such offer could come from the CIT since that tournament since it doesn't allow any "major" conference teams in and the CIT considers the MWC to be a "major" conference. As to the CBI, although I don't agree with the rationale, since participants aren't given any percentage of income derived from the conference and SDSU isn't willing to pay the entire cost of having its team participate, we won't accept an offer if one is made. Personally, I just don't get that. If you send only the team and coaches, how much could it possibly cost? Ten grand for a couple games? Fifteen grand for three maybe? Considering the extra practice and playing time our returning players would receive, that's just penny wise and pound foolish. Which is exactly the kind of penurious approach to sports that will has held down SDSU sports for decades.

I think Nevada ended up making money or breaking even for CBI. But I think it has more to do with SDSU saying we are NCAA or NIT only team

Well this makes sense to me regarding to CIT. Word I heard is that the coaching staff thinks the competition has typically been so poor that a good MWC team might as well just have 5-on-5 intrasquad games.

Boom goes the dynamite.

29 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

To bad you didn't beat USU yesterday then we wouldn't even be having this convo. USU would have gotten a better seed (probably a 10 seed), SDSU would have gotten an 11 or 12, and Fresno would be the sole NIT rep.

But yes if you are talking about either SDSU or Fresno hosting an NIT game you would much prefer to have SDSU host. BUT they can just avoid that issue by making Fresno a #5 or #6 seed in the NIT and thus they will be playing a road game anyways. With regards to TV ratings I am not really sure how much more SDSU would "move  the needle" compared to Fresno. If you

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think Nevada ended up making money or breaking even for CBI. But I think it has more to do with SDSU saying we are NCAA or NIT only team

Honestly I wish it was a MW rule that conference members can only accept a bid to the NCAAT or NIT. Those other tourneys are a joke. They are literally just a school paying for extra practices/scrimmages.