Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chrysis

#7 Nevada vs #10 Florida

Bummer being shipped out East afterbeing projected in San Jose for so long, but not surprising with our slow finish. Time to regroup and hopefully play to this team's full potentional. 

Interesting match up. Florida with a mediocre record but lots of really close losses, n pushover for sure. 

8k3esKz.png

Nevada an early 1.5 point underdog vs Florida

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Mike White is pretty good coach. Seems like this Florida team relies more on team effort than individual effort. No real take over kind of guy.

They're battle tested though. Play defense first and limit 2nd chance points. It will be an interesting matchup for sure.

Tough draw this year.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

All the 10 seeds are from the power conferences.  We may have gotten the toughest of the bunch, but I haven't seen Iowa play. 

We are the higher seed but they are the favorites.

I like USU's chances to advance better than our own.  But the MW does have a realistic chance for both of our teams to advance.  That would be awesome and its been a while since that has happened.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

49 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No surprise the Gators are favored.

Have we been the underdog this season?

Even though we are seeded higher I think we are the underdog in the game. Maybe that will do something to the team heading into the game. If we can get back to how we played earlier in the season, I think we could reach the Sweet Sixteen or further.

Well, if history repeats itself in terms of quality of play, we'll be OK. We dropped off last year just like this year, and there wasn't much of an expectation. The guys looked worn down from the season, and we were just hoping to win a game to improve from losing the first game the year before. Losing in the semi last year gave the team another day to recover and now this year the same thing. 

I know a lot of NV fans are quietly disappointed because of the expectations that we'd be a 1 to 3 seed, and just the play of the team. I haven't seen the stats, but my gut feel from watching the games is that Caleb didn't develop to be a better player this year, in fact, maybe a step back slightly. Not having a consistent lights out 3 point shooter has killed us. In the last few games it sure seems like Jazz has been on fire. Hopefully that continues. It's pretty amazing that some people had Jordan Brown as a 1 and done player, and the reality looks more like, at best, a 3 and done player, maybe even 4. That would certainly be fine with Nevada fans, for sure. 

If we don't make the Sweet 16 this year, which looks pretty unlikely at the moment, I wouldn't worry too much about Muss leaving. He loves it in Reno, and he's not going to get any of the more elite jobs that he might leave for. But I think most would agree that winning at your ceiling is always better and then let the chips fall where they fall. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

Well, if history repeats itself in terms of quality of play, we'll be OK. We dropped off last year just like this year, and there wasn't much of an expectation. The guys looked worn down from the season, and we were just hoping to win a game to improve from losing the first game the year before. Losing in the semi last year gave the team another day to recover and now this year the same thing. 

I know a lot of NV fans are quietly disappointed because of the expectations that we'd be a 1 to 3 seed, and just the play of the team. I haven't seen the stats, but my gut feel from watching the games is that Caleb didn't develop to be a better player this year, in fact, maybe a step back slightly. Not having a consistent lights out 3 point shooter has killed us. In the last few games it sure seems like Jazz has been on fire. Hopefully that continues. It's pretty amazing that some people had Jordan Brown as a 1 and done player, and the reality looks more like, at best, a 3 and done player, maybe even 4. That would certainly be fine with Nevada fans, for sure. 

If we don't make the Sweet 16 this year, which looks pretty unlikely at the moment, I wouldn't worry too much about Muss leaving. He loves it in Reno, and he's not going to get any of the more elite jobs that he might leave for. But I think most would agree that winning at your ceiling is always better and then let the chips fall where they fall. 

If Nevada makes a run in the tournament I think we could see Muss name pop up but if we don't I think things may have cooled on him for the moment. At the beginning of the season I was telling people there were going to be  lot of people bummed because this team wasn't going to meet those expectations. And with what is possibly coming next year I think many thought this would be the best chance to make some real noise.

Well I will be cheering for you guys. I live in Florida and my wife is a gator, bu  I absolutely hate them. I think Caroline will eat them up. They are not that big and you should own them on the boards. They can score in bunches though.

41 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Well I will be cheering for you guys. I live in Florida and my wife is a gator, bu  I absolutely hate them. I think Caroline will eat them up. They are not that big and you should own them on the boards. They can score in bunches though.

Thats what I've been reading, and on their board they seem worried about our size. It also seems Florida is a very defensive team, and they're worried about scoring points.

58 minutes ago, bigd said:

Thats what I've been reading, and on their board they seem worried about our size. It also seems Florida is a very defensive team, and they're worried about scoring points.

I would worry about physical play. As we know they play a different type of basketball in the SEC than they do in the MWC which is more physical. That could be a factor as well. However again Nevada has some time to get their heads sorted out and anything else that needs to be sorted. 

1 hour ago, WasatchAggie said:

Will Caroline be playing?  If so, you will win easily.  If not...

He’s expected to be 100%. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

7 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I would worry about physical play. As we know they play a different type of basketball in the SEC than they do in the MWC which is more physical. That could be a factor as well. However again Nevada has some time to get their heads sorted out and anything else that needs to be sorted. 

So you’re saying there won’t be 15 offensive charges in the game?

4 hours ago, Chrysis said:

Bummer being shipped out East afterbeing projected in San Jose for so long, but not surprising with our slow finish. Time to regroup and hopefully play to this team's full potentional. 

Interesting match up. Florida with a mediocre record but lots of really close losses, n pushover for sure. 

Idk. Maybe the SC just really sucks at geography.

Des-Moines.jpg

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg