Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Media sat on negative Beto O’rourke story for 2 years?!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-backstory-usa-politics-orourke-idUSKCN1QX02M

After more than a year of reporting, Menn persuaded O’Rourke to talk on the record. In an interview in late 2017, O’Rourke acknowledged that he was a member of the group, on the understanding that the information would not be made public until after his Senate race against Ted Cruz in November 2018.

So in 2017 Reuter’s undercovered the O’Rourke was once a member of a hacking group but sat on the story for two years?   What a joke the media has become. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

When conservatives say the mainstream media is in the bag for the Dems this is an example of what they’re talking about.  Complain about Fox being right biased all you want but when other outlets are sitting on damaging stories until after elections the rest of the media is just as complicit and biased as Fox is.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

What’s interesting to me is that both O’Rourke and Klobuchar were tagged with hit pieces within a day or so of formally announcing their run. Either one of the Democrats already has a really formidable opposition research team, or more likely someone in a position of power in the media is trying to influence the primary. I’d be curious if that person is coordinating with a campaign. 

The story so far:

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

It does come down to journalistic integrity there though. Let's say that the reporter didn't believe that they had enough to go to press without getting Beto on the record for this story. If he agreed to go on the record, but only if they wanted to go to press with it, wouldn't that be an example of journalistic integrity? 

That being said, I don't even think it's all that damaging of a story to be honest. 

I'm more disturbed by Beta's murder fantasy stories about children.....f*cking creep. 

“One day, as I was driving home from work, I noticed two children crossing the street. They were happy, happy to be free from their troubles. ... This happiness was mine by right. I had earned it in my dreams,” he wrote, according to Reuters. “As I neared the young ones, I put all my weight on my right foot, keeping the accelerator pedal on the floor until I heard the crashing of the two children on the hood, and then the sharp cry of pain from one of the two. I was so fascinated for a moment, that when after I had stopped my vehicle, I just sat in a daze, sweet visions filling my head.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/15/orourke-not-proud-writing-1223903

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

It’s not damaging. The writer was using the material for a book, with a set publishing date, not a news story. Neither O’Rourke nor the writer did anything wrong. This is a reach even by right-wing conspiracy standards. 

Watch him get the nom and then lose to trump because Fox News pushes the “we can’t trust this former teenager” angle. “He once used the internet, just like Hilary and her email, also known as the devils post office.”

First of all, this isn't some giant media conspiracy.  It looks like this is a Reuters reporter who sat on the story.  So any flak (if any is even needed) should be given to the individual or company involved in the production of the story.  I don't think the larger media has anything to do with this.

Secondly it appears that Beto only agreed to talk to this guy if he released the story after the election.  What was the reporter supposed to do...threaten Beto that he was going to release/leak a flimsy story?  Beto would have immediately gone to a competitor to give the interview and this Reuters guy would have lost his scoop unless he complied with Beto's request.  All of money for the article would have evaporated in an instant.  

Thirdly, we have a proud and strong capitalist country.  Why would a reporter/company who is interested in maximizing their "clicks" or revenue want to release their exclusive story while Beto wasn't even a candidate and was just on his hobo tour.  It is much more impactful of a story since he declared his candidacy.  I am sure they decided to delay it for maximum effect.  

But all this does beg the question...who are the capitalist overlords in control of Reuters.  What exactly was their agenda....hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  I think we are on to something for sure!!!  Follow the money, I always say!

Posted Image

19 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It’s not damaging. The writer was using the material for a book, with a set publishing date, not a news story. Neither O’Rourke nor the writer did anything wrong. This is a reach even by right-wing conspiracy standards. 

Watch him get the nom and then lose to trump because Fox News pushes the “we can’t trust this former teenager” angle. “He once used the internet, just like Hilary and her email, also known as the devils post office.”

A book written by a reporter.  You don’t think the people of Texas had a right to know about it before they went to the polls in 2018?  And @Akkula does make a good point.  Follow the money. 

2 minutes ago, mugtang said:

A book written by a reporter.  You don’t think the people of Texas had a right to know about it before they went to the polls in 2018?  And @Akkula does make a good point.  Follow the money. 

What it really comes down to is whether or not the story was strong enough to go to press without him going on the record. If it wasn't, and the only way that Beto would agree to go on the record on it was a delay in the reporting, then this seems like much ado about nothing. The reporter had to make a call on what they thought was more important --- getting a potential scoop without corroboration, being able to report with corroboration, or violating journalistic codes by going to press with someone on the record prior to when they agreed would be an acceptable time to do so.

11 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think you can probably have a good ethics debate on the corporate for profit media, O'Rourke's actions, and the reporters.  It does seem like holding back juicy details for a book is a pretty common occurrence like that Fire and Fury book.  

Honestly the biggest ethical question is probably with regard to O'Rourke.  Was asking the report to delay a bit "swampy?"  I am pretty big on trying to forgive people when they are contrite so that is a lot of the reason Beto probably doesn't get as much flak as some.  Trump never apologizes so people like to nail that SOB.    

Posted Image

34 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

Like, anybody outside of Texas gave a shit about O'Rourke.

That's a good point.  Did he squash the story or sit on it like an investment?

Beto loses and nobody cares.  Beto runs for president and now we have something.

11 minutes ago, toonkee said:

That's a good point.  Did he squash the story or sit on it like an investment?

Beto loses and nobody cares.  Beto runs for president and now we have something.

I don't give Beto much of a chance in 2020, even if the lady of the house likes him.  The other thing is, why should I care if he was a member of a hacking group?  They couldn't have been very good hackers if they never revealed anything of interest to anybody.  Just like the hacks of the DNC.  I reviewed those emails and still can't figure out why anybody thought any of them were of any significance whatsoever.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Right to know about what, exactly? That he and his friends used to spend too much time on the internet? I guess that disqualifies everyone gen-x and younger.

38 minutes ago, sandiegopete said:

I don't give Beto much of a chance in 2020, even if the lady of the house likes him.  The other thing is, why should I care if he was a member of a hacking group?  They couldn't have been very good hackers if they never revealed anything of interest to anybody.  Just like the hacks of the DNC.  I reviewed those emails and still can't figure out why anybody thought any of them were of any significance whatsoever.

Honestly, cDc wasn't even that big of a deal until BO/BO2k... I knew some of those guys, and they weren't "hackers" as people would consider them to be today. I interacted with them in the mid-90s on BBC groups, and they were mostly about just getting cracked video games to be honest.

43 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Right to know about what, exactly? That he and his friends used to spend too much time on the internet? I guess that disqualifies everyone gen-x and younger.

And me too, although I'm in my 50's. I also spend too much time on the internet, like millions of other people in America.

44 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

God knows that I did, and still do, spend way too much time on the internet... and I'm ten years younger than Beto is.

20 minutes ago, retrofade said:

God knows that I did, and still do, spend way too much time on the internet... and I'm ten years younger than Beto is.

Then you are disqualified from ever being president of the United States.  If only you spent most of your time sending messages via your phone would you be qualified to be president.  

5 hours ago, mugtang said:

When conservatives say the mainstream media is in the bag for the Dems this is an example of what they’re talking about.  Complain about Fox being right biased all you want but when other outlets are sitting on damaging stories until after elections the rest of the media is just as complicit and biased as Fox is.  

You're just now figuring this out?  If it were Fox vs. CNN, that would be different. The reality is that it's Fox vs. CNN, MSNBC, PBS and then the huge networks NBC, CBS and ABC. And then even international networks such as the CBC, Al Jazera, etc. 

kat.jpg

I don't really see the issue here. A reporter writing a book wanted  a name, but the people who knew the name told him they'll give it to him, but he has to wait til after the election, so that's what he did.