Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

#1 Nevada vs #4 SDSU

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

Honestly I wouldn't mind an 6 seed and if not that even though it is low maybe 11. I really don't want to be in that 7/10 or 8/9 game situation. Seems Nevada is in that situation a lot when they go to the tournament.

The difference between a 6 seed and a 5 seed is huge. 6 seeds get an 11 seed in the first round. 11 seeds are at-large teams or teams like San Diego State that win their tournament. Teams that were tough late. In 2012 the Aztecs were a 6 seed and got North Carolina State as an 11 seed. North Carolina state had just won their conference tournament and we're playing great basketball at the end of the season, even though their resume was insufficient for an at-large bid they were playing like a top 10 team.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

18 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

Free throws for the season

71.5% Aztecs

71.2% Wolfpack

Also, who you foul makes a difference Mitchell, McDaniels, and Watson are good and Schakel is great. 

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

31 minutes ago, AztecBill said:

2009 the Aztecs lost in the final to ranked Utah and ended the season with a #18 RPI and had to settle for a #1 seed in the NIT. 

If we don’t get an at-large bid....I don’t know how to respond.  That’ll be bs and the system will be proven to be rigged.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

If we don’t get an at-large bid....I don’t know how to respond.  That’ll be bs and the system will be proven to be rigged.  

We’ll be fine

1 hour ago, AztecBill said:

The difference between a 6 seed and a 5 seed is huge. 6 seeds get an 11 seed in the first round. 11 seeds are at-large teams or teams like San Diego State that win their tournament. Teams that were tough late. In 2012 the Aztecs were a 6 seed and got North Carolina State as an 11 seed. North Carolina state had just won their conference tournament and we're playing great basketball at the end of the season, even though their resume was insufficient for an at-large bid they were playing like a top 10 team.

Still would rather than having to have to play the 1 seed or 2 seed in the second round. Nevada has done that a lot of times. It does seem the favorite seeding that we have is 7-10 in the NCAA.

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

We already know the system is rigged. But going into today the average for brackets was a 6 seed slightly behind Villanova. Utah St average was a 10 seed. So thinking probably a 7 or 8 right now

Probably feel better if Utah St wins tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, AztecBill said:

I don't think we are going to get a 6 seed but Nevada has played a lot of 8-9 and 7-10 games and just saying I don't look forward to that second round matchup because the 1 and 2 seeds are looking like difficult matchups this year with the 2 seeds I think being better than last year 2 seeds. But we will see.

9 hours ago, mugtang said:

I wouldn't even give it a second thought. The NCAA is going to have to validate their own pet metric, so they'll nuthug the NET until people start bitching about how undeserving team got in and deserving teams got snubbed as much as they did with RPI.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

6 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Of course USU deserves it. If the committee is there to determine what’s acceptable and what isn’t with an east coast P5 bias, and they determine a G5 should be in, they deserve it 100%. 

I don't think he was talking about USU

I think the long season with the target on the back has worn down Nevada. That plus Musselman sticking to a 6-7 player rotation hasn’t helped either. His reluctance to give Brown more minutes was a mistake. You don’t keep a talented kid on the bench. You can see that talent at times. He just hasn’t had enough time to develop. 

Bowing out early in the MWC tournament is probably a good thing if the seeding doesn’t drop much. Even another game with USU would have taken a toll on already tired legs. I think Musselman made a calculated decision to rest Caroline and have him ready for the Dance. It was the right decision. Going into the NCAA tournament the target is essentially gone and every team is playing just to advance. If Caroline is rested and healthy, Nevada will be fine. 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I wouldn't even give it a second thought. The NCAA is going to have to validate their own pet metric, so they'll nuthug the NET until people start bitching about how undeserving team got in and deserving teams got snubbed as much as they did with RPI.

But they have had people complaining for most of the year with the NET. The complaints are also rising now with the new quadrant system as well.

10 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

But they have had people complaining for most of the year with the NET. The complaints are also rising now with the new quadrant system as well.

The NET system penalizes the G5 leagues worse than the previous RPI system. I strongly feel that teams with losing records in league play should not get an at large selection to the Dance. Especially over teams that have gone 24-6 or thereabouts regardless of league. 

1 hour ago, wolfpack1 said:

The quad system existed with RPI as well. They simply cut and paste the parsing into the new NET metric.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

2 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

The quad system existed with RPI as well. They simply cut and paste the parsing into the new NET metric.

This is only the second year of the quad system, right? Maybe third. Prior to quadrants win were categorized by top 50, 50-100, etc. regardless of location. I think the quadrant system is aN improvement in that regard. I also think the NET has been a big step forward from the RPI. Though, I wonder why the NCAA had to create their own metric when they could have just combined the ratings of KenPom, BPI, Sagarin, and others into one number.