Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

College Basketball Coach Openings

56 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

You think Muss is gone? Wow, he might apply at LSU, but then again, maybe not. If we don't do much in the tourney, and no elite programs come open, the odds of him actually staying would be 90/10 or 80/20, IMHO. His salary plus bonus opportunities have him at around $1.6 million. And to keep him, I could see us going up to $2 mil.

I don't think the boosters and fans at LSU will let the AD fire the coach. I read somehow that some boosters are putting pressure on the school president to get rid of the AD if he keeps the coach suspended.

1 hour ago, Nevada Convert said:

You think Muss is gone? Wow, he might apply at LSU, but then again, maybe not. If we don't do much in the tourney, and no elite programs come open, the odds of him actually staying would be 90/10 or 80/20, IMHO. His salary plus bonus opportunities have him at around $1.6 million. And to keep him, I could see us going up to $2 mil.

I don't have any inside info so I am really just guessing.  While I think he would happily take any raise that came his way, I am not sure money is the deciding factor.  When he came to town he talked about a 4 year plan and he has succeeded with that.  He has 7 guys graduating out of the program.  To be sure he has some talent returning and some interesting transfers but this appears to be a reload at best or perhaps a rebuild..Does he want to do that again at Nevada?

It is really hard to have long term sustained success at a mid major.  Maybe he is happy to have a home and stays . I sure as hell hope so.  Either way, he has put Nevada back on the map and the program is light years ahead of where it was under Carter.  The job pays well now.  There is a nice basketball facility.  Good coaches will be interested in the gig.

8 hours ago, nvspuds said:

I don't have any inside info so I am really just guessing.  While I think he would happily take any raise that came his way, I am not sure money is the deciding factor.  When he came to town he talked about a 4 year plan and he has succeeded with that.  He has 7 guys graduating out of the program.  To be sure he has some talent returning and some interesting transfers but this appears to be a reload at best or perhaps a rebuild..Does he want to do that again at Nevada?

It is really hard to have long term sustained success at a mid major.  Maybe he is happy to have a home and stays . I sure as hell hope so.  Either way, he has put Nevada back on the map and the program is light years ahead of where it was under Carter.  The job pays well now.  There is a nice basketball facility.  Good coaches will be interested in the gig.

I remember hearing Groth interviewed by Marchand sometime around 2010, and she was hardcore that she would NEVER get into the coaches sweepstakes and NEVER pay any coach $1 million or more. She really belonged at an FCS school or lower. 

I don’t think it’s as hard to have long term sustained success if you already have a lot of the pieces and have a high ceiling. If Muss sticks around long enough, he will create a program very similar to Gonzaga. 

Reno supports Nevada basketball very well with Muss in charge. On a down year, they give support knowing that bigger things are to come soon. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Menzies should go to George Washington; MWC starts a series with them (A10) soon 

Menzies will probably sit back and collect UNLVs money for the next year...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

11 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Alabama is currently in talks to buyout the rest of Avery Johnson's contract. 

George Washington has named Siena head coach Jamion Christian head coach.

then Tulane should be on the phone with New Orleans native Avery Johnson right now...his NBA and NCAA experience would work well at Tulane.

Tulane's top recruit has confirmed he's sticking with Tulane.

https://247sports.com/player/nobal-days-87684/

mem skyline sig.jpeg

14 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

then Tulane should be on the phone with New Orleans native Avery Johnson right now...his NBA and NCAA experience would work well at Tulane.

Tulane's top recruit has confirmed he's sticking with Tulane.

https://247sports.com/player/nobal-days-87684/

Once the buyout is agreed on and such sure might not be bad choice.

2 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

sounds like Tulane is close to finalizing Ga State's Ron Hunter as HC...he's taken Ga State to 3 NCAA's, 1 NIT, and 1 CIT in 8 season there.

I don't know about that move. Personally probably would want to remain at Georgia ST.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-sdsu-aztecs-basketball-rod-palmer-cal-poly-20190322-story,amp.html

https://www.keyt.com/sports/update-on-cal-poly-basketball-head-coaching-search/1061826890

SDSU assistant Rod Palmer reportedly a finalist for the Cal Poly job.  Palmer previously spent 11 years as an assistant at Long Beach State.

Marvin Menzies has inquired about the job and is in the mix.

Supposedly, Larry Eustachy was interviewed as well.

1 hour ago, jdgaucho said:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-sdsu-aztecs-basketball-rod-palmer-cal-poly-20190322-story,amp.html

https://www.keyt.com/sports/update-on-cal-poly-basketball-head-coaching-search/1061826890

SDSU assistant Rod Palmer reportedly a finalist for the Cal Poly job.  

Marvin Menzies has inquired about the job and is in the mix.

You sure that’s correct? I’ve heard other things. And his pay would have to be something like UNLVs 800k or it’s no point coaching for 100k vs 800k (conditional) ...