Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

College Basketball Coach Openings

10 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I read that it would cost Texas $16.5 million to buyout Chris Beard.  Texas Tech should be more worried about the NBA.

Before or after my post?

Y'all have no idea.  16 - and going down, as i explained - is petty cash.  Its the revenue from 1 football game. They are getting set to break ground on a new $350 million arena.  At little cost to the school.  Buyout will be about 9 million by then.  Football, basketball, tiddly winks.  Doesnt matter.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

33 minutes ago, RSF said:

Before or after my post?

Y'all have no idea.  16 - and going down, as i explained - is petty cash.  Its the revenue from 1 football game. They are getting set to break ground on a new $350 million arena.  At little cost to the school.  Buyout will be about 9 million by then.  Football, basketball, tiddly winks.  Doesnt matter.

I still say his next stop is the NBA.

North Dakota head coach Brian Jones resigns to take assistant job at Illinois St.

Howard has reportedly offered their head coaching jot to Columbia assistant coach Kenny Blakeney.

Morgan St officially names Kevin Broadus as their new head coach.

Howard names Kenny Blakeney as their new head coach.

San Diego St assistant coach Rod Palmer, who reportedly turned down Cal Poly head coaching job, has been hired as UCLA assistant coach.

2 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Providence head coach Ed Cooley reportedly the leading candidate for Michigan head coaching job.

Staying at Providence.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26794629/cooley-stays-friars-meeting-u-m

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

He's been hired. Weird hire. He could be good, but the idea that a Big Ten school that has been to the two Final Fours in the last six years hires a grad without any head coaching experience is weird to me. A team searching for something "new", like Memphis, I get it; a team that is cash poor, like UNLV was during Dave Rice, I get it (though still absurd); or a team that is in trouble with the NCAA, I get it, but Michigan? They couldn't get better? Weird. 

On 5/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, wolfpack1 said:

Juwan Howard and Michigan have begun talks to have Howard the next head coach at Michigan.

What coaching experience does he have?

3 minutes ago, Pelado said:

What coaching experience does he have?

6 years as a Miami Heat assistant.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:19 PM, Jersey Rebels said:

He's been hired. Weird hire. He could be good, but the idea that a Big Ten school that has been to the two Final Fours in the last six years hires a grad without any head coaching experience is weird to me. A team searching for something "new", like Memphis, I get it; a team that is cash poor, like UNLV was during Dave Rice, I get it (though still absurd); or a team that is in trouble with the NCAA, I get it, but Michigan? They couldn't get better? Weird. 

He wasn't their first choice but did read something today where the hire may have been more about some backstage stuff going on and possibly trying to get the Fab Five back into the Michigan culture.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, Jersey Rebels said:

Penny has had this planned for roughly 3 years now and it's come together perfectly SO FAR...but for every Penny, Hoiberg, Larry Finch, etc...there is a Clyde Drexler who went 19-39 as the Houston HC.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

He wasn't their first choice but did read something today where the hire may have been more about some backstage stuff going on and possibly trying to get the Fab Five back into the Michigan culture.

Jesus.  Who cares about the Fab Five when you are going to Final Fours?

On 5/24/2019 at 1:27 AM, Wyobraska said:

Jesus.  Who cares about the Fab Five when you are going to Final Fours?

Bizarre thinking for sure.  Much higher probability this ends up being a bust (and given its the Fab Five and what happened years ago a messy divorce) than a success.  Big difference coaching in the NBA than the college game and vice versa.  The staff he puts together is going to be critical to his early success.

As for Penny, lets see if he actually wins something. Even then, not fair to compare his situation to Johnson, Dunleavy, Drexler, etc.  Penny at least coached on the AAU and high school level a couple of years before taking the Memphis job.