Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

College Basketball Coach Openings

9 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

I think it was a good move for those schools to break off just St. John's has been kind of laying in the weeds not making a lot of movement to get toward the top

and I still feel we are worth more together than separate. 

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

and I still feel we are worth more together than separate. 

At some point though they would have broken off. You had two very different groups with their thinking and at some point the breakoff would have happened. Big East was slowly dying as they really grew to fast and the when you see where Villanova and others were coming from, they don't have football, or I-AA schools because basketball is their big sport. When you see how everything broke down, it would have happened at some point they just chose to do it sooner rather than later.

14 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

At some point though they would have broken off. You had two very different groups with their thinking and at some point the breakoff would have happened. Big East was slowly dying as they really grew to fast and the when you see where Villanova and others were coming from, they don't have football, or I-AA schools because basketball is their big sport. When you see how everything broke down, it would have happened at some point they just chose to do it sooner rather than later.

Nova and Georgetown have FCS football teams...I wish we had offered them a deal when they play 1 or 2 yearly 'buy' games against UConn,Temple, Navy, ECU, etc for 500k+ to help offset their costs. (when in doubt, buy the vote!)

UConn, Cincy, Nova, Marquette, Georgetown, St John's, Providence, Houston, Memphis, Temple, UCF, Tulsa, etc...it would have been a great hoops conference.

then when you consider what UCF, Houston, Cincy, Memphis, Navy, Temple, etc have done in football...yeah, It would have been fun (and very profitable, esp when you combine Nova and UConn tourney credits from their NCAA title runs)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

Nova and Georgetown have FCS football teams...I wish we had offered them a deal when they play 1 or 2 yearly 'buy' games against UConn,Temple, Navy, ECU, etc for 500k+ to help offset their costs. (when in doubt, buy the vote!)

UConn, Cincy, Nova, Marquette, Georgetown, St John's, Providence, Houston, Memphis, Temple, UCF, Tulsa, etc...it would have been a great hoops conference.

then when you consider what UCF, Houston, Cincy, Memphis, Navy, Temple, etc have done in football...yeah, It would have been fun (and very profitable, esp when you combine Nova and UConn tourney credits from their NCAA title runs)

Nova could do that now, and still be in their preferred locale.  Temple, Pitt and other former Big East schools dot their schedule.  And Georgetown is a non-scholarship football school, so its unnecessary as they dont play 1A schools.

Your problem is the etc.  There's a reason the Big East is a mostly Catholic conference.  Shared values, shared history, shared desires.  They WANTED to be together.  They didnt WANT to be in there with the all sports schools.  Never really did.  That was Tranghese's legacy.  The Big East, back when TCU spent their 20 minutes as a member, tried to talk Nova into going D1A.  So they could stay together and not add more CUSA schools.  But they turned it down, then TCU, WV, Louisville and the rest left for greener pastures, which made the split inevitable.  The Big East went back to what they were originally(a great basketball conference)and the rest did the same.  CUSA circa mid 2000s....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I'd say it's more like CUSA circa the late 90s... (that CUSA pulled 2-5 NCAA bids per season)

then - now

Louisville - UConn

Cincy - Cincy

Memphis - Memphis

Houston - Houston

Marquette - WSU

DePaul - Tulsa

St Louis - SMU

South Florida - South Florida

Tulane - Tulane

UAB - UCF (upgrade baby!)

ECU - ECU

Army - Navy

thing is the AAC has way better exposure (see our current ESPN/CBS deals), way better marketing, way better leadership (Aresco vs Banowsky/MacLeod), along with way better results (UConn's titles in mens and womens hoops...Access bowls from UCF and Houston) and money (leftover from the BE)

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Yup.  The additional internal differences of public vs private, Catholic members in the Big East didn't help things either.  Too many members, not enough unity or common grounds between the Rutgers and Louisvilles vs the Xavier's and Creighton's.  

To a lesser extent, you summed up what happened with the Big West in the late 90s.  @UofMTigers , you might not know this but it wasn't always a bus league.  For a time Nevada, Boise, North Texas and Utah State were all together in the Big West.  From 1996-2000 there were six full members with football in one division (all outside California), six full members without football (all in California) in the other division. Two very different groups with their thinking.  You can guess how well that arrangement worked out.  Fast forward to today and three of those four are now here.

41 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I'd say it's more like CUSA circa the late 90s... (that CUSA pulled 2-5 NCAA bids per season)

then - now

Louisville - UConn

Cincy - Cincy

Memphis - Memphis

Houston - Houston

Marquette - WSU

DePaul - Tulsa

St Louis - SMU

South Florida - South Florida

Tulane - Tulane

UAB - UCF (upgrade baby!)

ECU - ECU

Army - Navy

thing is the AAC has way better exposure (see our current ESPN/CBS deals), way better marketing, way better leadership (Aresco vs Banowsky/MacLeod), along with way better results (UConn's titles in mens and womens hoops...Access bowls from UCF and Houston) and money (leftover from the BE)

- The exposure comparison really isn’t fair. if there were a million networks broadcasting college sports in the mid 90s plus streaming services then CUSA would have had better exposure as well.

- there were no access bowls in the mid 90s, so of course the AAC would have more. 

- the money is better in college sports in general. Also don’t see what significance leftover BE money has at this point. Isn’t the last of that money being dispersed in a couple months? 

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

- The exposure comparison really isn’t fair. if there were a million networks broadcasting college sports in the mid 90s plus streaming services then CUSA would have had better exposure as well.

- there were no access bowls in the mid 90s, so of course the AAC would have more. 

- the money is better in college sports in general. Also don’t see what significance leftover BE money has at this point. Isn’t the last of that money being dispersed in a couple months? 

the BE left behind something like 92 million in NCAA credits and exit fees payable over 6 years...that money is why we (AAC) were able to take a high exposure/low pay ESPN deal...it's kinda nice starting a new conference with 92 million in the bank off the bat.

Access Bowls now are like BCS bowls then...CUSA never broke through to get a BCS bid and they still haven't got an Access Bowl bid.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

And Nova and Gtown have no desire to move their football teams up to I-A. But you are missing one big dealio in all of that which would have led to a breakup at some point anyway. You had the Catholic schools vs. Non-Catholic schools. Different values, different ideas, different thinking process. There were rumblings for years before the breakup finally happened, because things change, Big East football was over so a group of schools wanted to continue as a basketball conference only and it happened. It wasn't something that came up all of a sudden, it has been worked on for quite a while. 

The divisions between the schools was just to much and some of those schools felt that schools that were invited later on were there mostly for football rather than basketball which is what Big East traditionally was, a basketball conference. 

4 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Yup.  The additional internal differences of public vs private, Catholic members in the Big East didn't help things either.  Too many members, not enough unity or common grounds between the Rutgers and Louisvilles vs the Xavier's and Creighton's.  

To a lesser extent, you summed up what happened with the Big West in the late 90s.  @UofMTigers , you might not know this but it wasn't always a bus league.  For a time Nevada, Boise, North Texas and Utah State were all together in the Big West.  From 1996-2000 there were six full members with football in one division (all outside California), six full members without football (all in California) in the other division. Two very different groups with their thinking.  You can guess how well that arrangement worked out.  Fast forward to today and three of those four are now here.

Big West at a time I think really didn't know what they were doing for football. It was a good conference, then all of a sudden you have Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Northern lllinois and then Louisiana Tech in teh conference. Those weren't Western teams, then they left and then some came back. Big west at one time for football seemed to be what the WAC is now. If they couldn't find a conference, Big West was there for a bit. You could even make the argument that North Texas was stretching a bit for them. I think with Nevada, Utah St, UNLV, NMSU, Boise St and yes even Idaho was fine but anything farther you could kind of stretching it. 

I think the downfall for Big West football was when Pacific shuttered their football program at that point I think, at least for football, the writing was on the wall and everyone went looking for other conferences.

50 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Big West at a time I think really didn't know what they were doing for football. It was a good conference, then all of a sudden you have Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Northern lllinois and then Louisiana Tech in teh conference. Those weren't Western teams, then they left and then some came back. Big west at one time for football seemed to be what the WAC is now. If they couldn't find a conference, Big West was there for a bit. You could even make the argument that North Texas was stretching a bit for them. I think with Nevada, Utah St, UNLV, NMSU, Boise St and yes even Idaho was fine but anything farther you could kind of stretching it. 

I think the downfall for Big West football was when Pacific shuttered their football program at that point I think, at least for football, the writing was on the wall and everyone went looking for other conferences.

The NIU, Louisiana Lafayette and Arkansas State fb-only adds were responses to losing Fresno State and LBSU dropping the sport.  I personally have zero recollection of those days.  But it seems like you like remember them well.   

I think you're right about the BW fate being sealed after Pacific dropped football.  Before then it was unified as a conference.  After 1996, it was not.  12 members with an even 6-6 split between football and non football members was too much.  The schism rose to the surface quickly, rather than slowly compared to the BE.

In both instances, the football schools broke off to get away from the non-fb members.  At least the BE catholic schools had quality replacements available :angry:

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

The NIU, Louisiana Lafayette and Arkansas State fb-only adds were responses to losing Fresno State and LBSU dropping the sport.  I personally have zero recollection of those days.  But it seems like you like remember them well.   

I think you're right about the BW fate being sealed after Pacific dropped football.  Before then it was unified as a conference.  After 1996, it was not.  12 members with an even 6-6 split between football and non football members was too much.  The schism rose to the surface quickly, rather than slowly compared to the BE.

In both instances, the football schools broke off to get away from the non-fb members.  At least the BE catholic schools had quality replacements available :angry:

I forgot about Arkansas St. However yeah those schools really didn't fit in and added to the budgets of the schools. One year, Nevada played Louisiana-Lafayette during the season, but it didn't count in the standings even though they were in the same conference. 

But I really do think, things acclerated forward when Pacific dropped football. As for the Big East, i think they had everything planned, deals probably done with all the schools when they announced it. Like I said it wasn't an all of a sudden thing, I really think it had been planned for years.

8 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I forgot about Arkansas St. However yeah those schools really didn't fit in and added to the budgets of the schools. One year, Nevada played Louisiana-Lafayette during the season, but it didn't count in the standings even though they were in the same conference. 

But I really do think, things acclerated forward when Pacific dropped football. As for the Big East, i think they had everything planned, deals probably done with all the schools when they announced it. Like I said it wasn't an all of a sudden thing, I really think it had been planned for years.

Arky State recently demoed their old sky-box setup

night-game-at-liberty.jpg

they built a nice new one and added 1800 chair-back seats

CRZBQGNADPUQBWH.20150913035556.jpg

centennial-bank-stadium.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Arky State recently demoed their old sky-box setup

night-game-at-liberty.jpg

they built a nice new one and added 1800 chair-back seats

CRZBQGNADPUQBWH.20150913035556.jpg

centennial-bank-stadium.jpg

That does look better. The old one looked like it might fall down at any moment.

16 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Nevada vs Louisiana Lafayette with Jake Delhomme in the Big West.  That - is just insane to me

635857181947430789-DelhommeV.jpg?width=5

they've (ASU) come a LONG way in football the last decade.

the last 8 seasons Arky State has gone 66-36 under coaches like Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Bryan Harsin, and Blake Anderson.

I wish they would say 'screw it' and hire Rick Pitino to get their hoops program rockin'

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, jdgaucho said:

Nevada vs Louisiana Lafayette with Jake Delhomme in the Big West.  That - is just insane to me

635857181947430789-DelhommeV.jpg?width=5

There was a video on Youtube of when Nevada lost on a hail mary to Arkansas St one year in the Big West

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

they've come a LONG way in football.

the last 8 years Arky State has gone 66-36 under coaches like Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Bryan Harsin, and Blake Anderson.

I wish they would say 'screw it' and hire Rick Pitino to get their hoops program rockin'

I think all those teams settled down once they found their own conference.