Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

College Basketball Coach Openings

Idaho St names current Point Loma Nazarene head coach Ryan Looney as their new head coach

Southern Mississippi is expected to name current SE Louisiana head coach Jay Ladner their new head coach.

Kennesaw St is expected to name Georgia assistant coach Amir Adbur-Rahim as their new head coach.

Current UMBC coach Ryan Odom says he has no interest in the St. John's head coaching position and will not be interviewing with them.

On 4/16/2019 at 2:05 PM, RSF said:

Meanwhile, the coach at Iona, a City guy, was thought to be 'the guy', but has a 2 to 3 million buyout.

Cluess turns them down.  Publically.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26551429/iona-cluess-latest-turn-st-johns

"I would like to start by thanking everyone for all their support," Cluess said in a statement released to ESPN on Thursday morning. "I am truly blessed to have so many people say so many nice things. I am however taking my name out of consideration for the St. John's job.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Southern Mississippi names Jay Ladner their new head coach.

Kennesaw St names Amir Adbur-Rahim as their new head coach.

Yale head coach James Jones, Oklahoma St head coach Mike Boynton and former Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson have all interviewed for the St. John's head coaching position.

SE Louisiana assistant coach David Kiefer is reportedly leading candidate for the head coaching job.

13 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Idaho St names current Point Loma Nazarene head coach Ryan Looney as their new head coach

Southern Mississippi is expected to name current SE Louisiana head coach Jay Ladner their new head coach.

Kennesaw St is expected to name Georgia assistant coach Amir Adbur-Rahim as their new head coach.

Current UMBC coach Ryan Odom says he has no interest in the St. John's head coaching position and will not be interviewing with them.

WTF is going on at St John's?  Nobody wants that job. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

9 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Southern Mississippi names Jay Ladner their new head coach.

Kennesaw St names Amir Adbur-Rahim as their new head coach.

Yale head coach James Jones, Oklahoma St head coach Mike Boynton and former Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson have all interviewed for the St. John's head coaching position.

SE Louisiana assistant coach David Kiefer is reportedly leading candidate for the head coaching job.

It sounds like USM reached out to Tim Floyd, Rob Barnes, and Billy Kennedy to gauge interest so I give them props for attempting a 'splash hire' even if it didn't work out. Coach Ladner is a USM guy who's paid his coaching dues. His SELA squads went 55-44 the past 3 seasons, featuring an NIT tournament. Before coaching at SELA he took Jones County JC to a record of 45-13 in two seasons as Head Coach. I could see him finishing his career at USM.

Head coaching record[edit]

College[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Southeastern Louisiana Lions (Southland) (2014–present)

2015–16 Southeastern Louisiana 12–21 9–9 6th  
2016–17 Southeastern Louisiana 16–16 9–9 7th  
2017–18 Southeastern Louisiana 22–12 15–3 T–1st NIT First Round
2018–19 Southeastern Louisiana 17–16 12–6 T–3rd  
2019-20 Southern Miss

mem skyline sig.jpeg

5 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

It sounds like USM reached out to Tim Floyd, Rob Barnes, and Billy Kennedy to gauge interest so I give them props for attempting a 'splash hire' even if it didn't work out. Coach Ladner is a USM guy who's paid his coaching dues. His SELA squads went 55-44 the past 3 seasons, featuring an NIT tournament. Before coaching at SELA he took Jones County JC to a record of 45-13 in two seasons as Head Coach. I could see him finishing his career at USM.

Head coaching record[edit]

College[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Southeastern Louisiana Lions (Southland) (2014–present)

2015–16 Southeastern Louisiana 12–21 9–9 6th  
2016–17 Southeastern Louisiana 16–16 9–9 7th  
2017–18 Southeastern Louisiana 22–12 15–3 T–1st NIT First Round
2018–19 Southeastern Louisiana 17–16 12–6 T–3rd  
2019-20 Southern Miss

Read that Billy Kennedy was in it for a bit and interviewed down in New Orleans for the job.

6 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Mike Anderson and St. John's are in final contract talks for Anderson to become head coach.

Texas St signs head coach Danny Kaspar to a contract extension.

Mike Anderson is about as good of a fit as Kevin Stallings was at Pittsburgh.

On 4/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, UofMTigers said:

"BIG East" :lol:

I don't follow that conference enough to agree it should be laughed at. However, I do follow it enough to think it's Exhibit No. 1 of how much more important football is than hoops.

Boom goes the dynamite.

17 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't follow that conference enough to agree it should be laughed at. However, I do follow it enough to think it's Exhibit No. 1 of how much more important football is than hoops.

the St Johns fans were some of the main folks on the BE board telling us how much greener the pastures would be for them if they broke away....

mem skyline sig.jpeg

6 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

It's also Exhibit No. 1 (or 2) of what can happen when members are divided between playing football and not. 

6 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

the St Johns fans were some of the main folks on the BE board telling us how much greener the pastures would be for them if they broke away....

The pastures may not be greener, but at least it's no longer a house split in two.  (Same for the AAC by default).  No more schisms.

8 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

And they have been.  Just not for St Johns. 

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

The pastures may not be greener, but at least it's no longer a house split in two.  (Same for the AAC by default).  No more schisms.

I think it was a good move for those schools to break off just St. John's has been kind of laying in the weeds not making a lot of movement to get toward the top