Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfpack1

College Basketball Coach Openings

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26538172/ucla-paid-buyout-left

Last week, UCLA hired Mick Cronin after whiffing on Tennessee's Rick Barnes.

But what if UCLA had promised to pay Barnes' $5 million buyout?

"I think I would've been the coach at UCLA," Barnes told reporters in Knoxville on Tuesday. "I've said that to people before. I really felt at that time that's what would happen."

In one of the most transparent and honest news conferences ever held by a coach who'd just rejected an enticing offer from another school, Barnes admitted he tussled with his final decision to stay in Knoxville, largely due to financial matters.

As part of his return, Barnes has agreed to a new deal with Tennessee that will pay him $4 million per year before increasing to a $6 million annual sum by the end of the contract, sources told ESPN's Chris Low last week.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

15 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Jon Rothstein is reporting that St. John's has offered their head coaching job to Porter Moser.

The NYC papers and WFAN are reporting it.

If they money-whip him, it might be hard to turn down.  But Moser is all Midwest, and he'd be starting over in NYC, at a school that has a bad track record with coaches since Looie.  Meanwhile, the coach at Iona, a City guy, was thought to be 'the guy', but has a 2 to 3 million buyout.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

The NYC papers and WFAN are reporting it.

If they money-whip him, it might be hard to turn down.  But Moser is all Midwest, and he'd be starting over in NYC, at a school that has a bad track record with coaches since Looie.  Meanwhile, the coach at Iona, a City guy, was thought to be 'the guy', but has a 2 to 3 million buyout.

His contract with Loyola lasts until 2026 and when he signed his extension last year, word was he was going to be the highest paid coach in MVC so it is very possible his buyout would be higher than Cluess at Iona who Iona still says St. John's never contacted them to talk to him. 

However to be that would be a roll of the dice gamble for St. John's

More names that were interviewed by Southern Mississippi for the head coaching position: Former Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy, Texas Tech assistant coach Mark Adams and Southern Mississippi assistant coach Clarence Witherspoon. 

Coaches never get contacted.  They have agents for that.  That's how the game is played.  Plausible deniability.  Both Dixon and TCU claim they never talked to UCLA, either.

Moser makes less than a million.  Chicago Tribune figures it'll take 1.5 to get him to stay.  Loyola aint rolling in cash.  Tough call.  Plenty of schools closer to home could be looking for new coaches if Moser wants to roll the dice and wait it out.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, UofMTigers said:

NP91J8N.png

teams not involved: Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Florida, and Ole Miss....I bet we get Mississippi or Vandy but I want a shot at Kentucky 

The teams sitting out hasnt been announced yet (usually in May/June).  And Kentucky is one of 4 SEC schools that has never sat out, and I wouldnt expect them to start now.  They are always the marquee matchup - the one time they didnt play a Top 10 team, it was #20 Baylor at the DeathStar in Arlington, Tx.  

31 minutes ago, RSF said:

Coaches never get contacted.  They have agents for that.  That's how the game is played.  Plausible deniability.  Both Dixon and TCU claim they never talked to UCLA, either.

Moser makes less than a million.  Chicago Tribune figures it'll take 1.5 to get him to stay.  Loyola aint rolling in cash.  Tough call.  Plenty of schools closer to home could be looking for new coaches if Moser wants to roll the dice and wait it out.

Since Loyola is a private university no one really knows what he is making but he got a good raise when he signed his contract extension. The highest paid coach at the time in MVC was the Northern Iowa coach who was making $900,000 a year. However guess St. John's a similar situation now that UCLA got into when their first two choices either said no or they pulled back from. Just hard to believe that at this point the best St. John's can do is Moser from Loyola.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

The teams sitting out hasnt been announced yet (usually in May/June).  And Kentucky is one of 4 SEC schools that has never sat out, and I wouldnt expect them to start now.  They are always the marquee matchup - the one time they didnt play a Top 10 team, it was #20 Baylor at the DeathStar in Arlington, Tx.  

from a few posts down from that one...

"dude on the UConn board had it wrong. assuming they use the results of the 2018-19 season it'll be Georgia/Vandy/Mizzou/Texas A&M"

mem skyline sig.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

A lot of politics always involved with the St. John's job.  

Sounds like it. From what I read I think it might have been Jeff Goodman, they were all prepared to make a run at Cluess and then all of a sudden turned and went another direction. Then also read he might be a candidate anymore.

Porter Moser turns down a 8 yr/17-18 million deal from St Johns to stay at Loyola.  For now.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/loyola-chicago-coach-porter-moser-says-he-is-staying-508688201.html

17 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

from a few posts down from that one...

"dude on the UConn board had it wrong. assuming they use the results of the 2018-19 season it'll be Georgia/Vandy/Mizzou/Texas A&M"

I assumed that last year.  I was wrong - Didnt happen.  the exact same 4 schools sat out 2019 as in 2018.  So the 4 schools that it will be in '20 is a guess.

7 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

Southern Mississippi coach possible finalists: SE Louisiana head coach Jay Ladner and Texas Tech assistant coach Mark Adams.

Also on an off note, LSU AD Joe Alleva will be stepping down as AD of LSU.

So they are keeping the coach who was caught on tape but firing the AD who suspended him?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

13 minutes ago, GoNMSUAggies said:

Isn't that how sports works in the SEC? Those who rock the boat get fired, not those who break the law.

Apparently so.  I honestly don't see the upside to keeping Wade. The tape seemed pretty damming to me.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama