Sign in to follow this  
DoubleBlueGold

Utah Legislation to Protect the "Marginalized" Trump Supporter Community

Based on postings from several BYU fans/alumni/supporters here, this is not surprising.

10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

This is laughably incorrect and misleading.  All it says is political expression is a protected class.  

https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/static/SB0103.html

It is ridiculous. Political expression is free speech. It's already protected. This legislation is unnecessary.

17 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

It is ridiculous. Political expression is free speech. It's already protected. This legislation is unnecessary.

All they’re doing is saying if you attack somebody for them expressing their political position you’re guilty of a hate crime.  I’m not sure what’s so controversial here.  I mean should we be going around and assaulting those we disagree with politically?

• Like 2

Just now, mugtang said:

All they’re doing is saying if you attack somebody for them expressing their political position you’re guilty of a hate crime.  I’m not sure what’s so controversial here.  I mean should we be going around and assaulting those we disagree with politically?

No. And when it does occur, should it be prosecuted as a hate crime...no.

4 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

No. And when it does occur, should it be prosecuted as a hate crime...no.

If somebody’s political position drives you to assault them isn’t their political position the motivation of the assault?  Shouldn’t there be an additional punishment for that?

12 minutes ago, mugtang said:

If somebody’s political position drives you to assault them isn’t their political position the motivation of the assault?  Shouldn’t there be an additional punishment for that?

Long term, this is setting up a terrible precedent. If a vegetarian punches her friend b/c she wants to go to Soup Plantation for dinner, but her friend wants to go to Red Lobster, should that be prosecuted as a hate crime? The answer is no.

If you punch an Asian person for disagreeing politically, will you be okay being prosecuted for two separate hate crimes? I will presume your answer is no.

I can only get behind this if there has been an established pattern of fierce intolerance towards political opposites by the perpetrator(s). That language isn't clear in the legislation. 

17 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Long term, this is setting up a terrible precedent. If a vegetarian punches her friend b/c she wants to go to Soup Plantation for dinner, but her friend wants to go to Red Lobster, should that be prosecuted as a hate crime? The answer is no.

If you punch an Asian person for disagreeing politically, will you be okay being prosecuted for two separate hate crimes? I will presume your answer is no.

I can only get behind this if there has been an established pattern of fierce intolerance towards political opposites by the perpetrator(s). That language isn't clear in the legislation. 

Personally I don’t care about the legislation. I don’t live in Utah.  My original point was your thread title and the tweet/article you posted are laughably misleading in how they’re presenting this.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Personally I don’t care about the legislation. I don’t live in Utah.  My original point was your thread title and the tweet/article you posted are laughably misleading in how they’re presenting this.  

False. Not incorrect nor misleading.

27 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

False. Not incorrect nor misleading.

Please state where in the legislation that it singles out Trump supporters as a protected class. 

3 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Based on postings from several BYU fans/alumni/supporters here, this is not surprising.

What does this have to do with BYU at all?

Sounds like you are projecting your prejudices.  

Only something like 30% of BYU students and alums are even from Utah, so they don't have much involvement on State Politics. 

Plus, the headline from that site (LGBTQNation) is extremely misleading about the effect of the bill.

13 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Please state where in the legislation that it singles out Trump supporters as a protected class. 

It doesn't explicitly say Trump supporters. The fact that Utah's republican legislators (pro Trump) felt the need to add it at this particular time is telling. Wouldn't it have made more sense to added such as need protection during the right years of the Obama administration? A period when they would have truly faced retaliation for voice a different political opinion.

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What does this have to do with BYU at all?

Sounds like you are projecting your prejudices.  

Only something like 30% of BYU students and alums are even from Utah, so they don't have much involvement on State Politics. 

Nope. Just trolling. It worked.

1 hour ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Nope. Just trolling. It worked.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Apologize immediately!!!!

40 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Apologize immediately!!!!

Slap yourself first.

5 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Slap yourself first.

Not until you attend a San Jose State game.

(trying to get at least 1 SJSU fan to support their teams).

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Not until you attend a San Jose State game.

(trying to get at least 1 SJSU fan to support their teams).

The more times you slap yourself, the more SJSU fans will attend games. Help us out. Get started!

Just now, DoubleBlueGold said:

The more times you slap yourself, the more SJSU fans will attend games. Help us out. Get started!

@Slapdad

@slappy

Just now, #1Stunner said:

No. This requires a solitary effort. Get started!