Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

New Documentary on the Last 20 Years of UNLV's Coaching History

13 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

SDSU cats are cocky and rightfully so, but don’t think that win streak will last for ever 👀 

Nothing lasts forever. But our ownership of you - and our Vegas timeshare - is about as damn close to forever as it gets. But this has nothing to do with how we're simply better.

It does, however, have everything to do with your self-destructive tendencies to change coaches more often than most people change underwear.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Well played.  Much better than the actual play on the court for yesterday's game for both UNLV and SDSU.

Between our two squads, I think we set the game of basketball back 60 years.

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Both where scared to lose. You could see it on Dutches face. Both sets of teams was scared to lose...

.... Don’t trip Vegas has a lot of things for sale. Time shares is one of the many atraptions we have to offer.

Just now, PlayersinVegas said:

Both where scared to lose. You could see it on Dutches face. Both sets of teams was scared to lose...

.... Don’t trip Vegas has a lot of things for sale. Time shares is one of the many attratraptions we have to offer.

Truth.

7 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

It was horrible basketball, and a direct reflection of the quality of the league.  Bad as I've watched in person in a long time.

10 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Nothing lasts forever. But our ownership of you - and our Vegas timeshare - is about as damn close to forever as it gets. But this has nothing to do with how we're simply better.

It does, however, have everything to do with your self-destructive tendencies to change coaches more often than most people change underwear.

That’s a product of being the ugly sibling of the flagship. Don’t be too harsh. Less Tark it would have been much worse, much sooner. 

This is why I love UNLV.

Here we are in the semis of the MGCT, with us, Reno, Fresneck and the Aggies still standing, but half the threads on the top of page one are about the Rebels who aren't even playing.

God bless you Vegas... God bless you. This conference would be boringAF without you.

43 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

It’s the leagues fault. Of course. 

What is the leagues fault?  The fact that the teams are bad?  No.  It is the situation.  Look, UNR is legit.  USU is ok.  The rest of the league is garbage.  It just is.  If you want to lay blame, lay it on the coaches and schools who suck.  But to deny that this season has been one of the worst in the history of MWC basketball is disingenuous at the very least.

9 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

This is why I love UNLV.

Here we are in the semis of the MGCT, with us, Reno, Fresneck and the Aggies still standing, but half the threads on the top of page one are about the Rebels who aren't even playing.

God bless you Vegas... God bless you. This conference would be boringAF without you.

The other half is about BYU. 

In the last 20 years, UNLV has only fired 2 coaches. 

Bayno for recruiting infractions and Dave Rice for a lack of personality and on court results. 

Spoon, Kruger and Beard all left on their own. 

Menzies was a bandaid hire.

The only way firing him is a bad thing is if the hire is botched; which is somewhere between possible and probable.

Just now, Poster17 said:

What is the leagues fault?  The fact that the teams are bad?  No.  It is the situation.  Look, UNR is legit.  USU is ok.  The rest of the league is garbage.  It just is.  If you want to lay blame, lay it on the coaches and schools who suck.  But to deny that this season has been one of the worst in the history of MWC basketball is disingenuous at the very least.

I think it’s BS to correlate the quality of a program to the quality of a league over the short term. I think there’s a much stronger correlation in quality of a HC to play. Long term I think teams in the MWC will always see peaks and valleys because not a single program in this league will be able to retain a HC.

I do agree this season has sucked. And I also think the play of the league has improved over the course of the season — but that’s just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, NevadaFan said:

I think it’s BS to correlate the quality of a program to the quality of a league over the short term. I think there’s a much stronger correlation in quality of a HC to play. Long term I think teams in the MWC will always see peaks and valleys because not a single program in this league will be able to retain a HC.

I do agree this season has sucked. And I also think the play of the league has improved over the course of the season — but that’s just my opinion. 

It is not an assumption that the quality of the conference ties directly to the quality of the teams, it is what is used to determine those factors.  When multiple teams are good the conference is good.  When one or two are, the league is down.  This has been a 1 or 2 bid league for a few seasons now.  All stats point to this being one of the worst if not the worst conference seasons.  That is why you can't take a Win-Loss record on face value.  If you are stacking up wins in an inferior league, how much do those wins really mean to the overall ability of a team?  That is why the NCAA tournament is awesome.  It is shows you that.  

2 hours ago, qwelish said:

In the last 20 years, UNLV has only fired 2 coaches. 

Bayno for recruiting infractions and Dave Rice for a lack of personality and on court results. 

Spoon, Kruger and Beard all left on their own. 

Menzies was a bandaid hire.

The only way firing him is a bad thing is if the hire is botched; which is somewhere between possible and probable.

:rotflmfao: