Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

2 minutes ago, Meister_Rebel said:

Look at one of your pictures from ten years ago.  That will be another holy shit moment.

The fact that it has been that many years is the crazy part. Feels like yesterday. 

1 minute ago, noloveforrebels said:

I like kk but what does he exactly bring to the table--coaching?? recruiting??  west coast players??--i guess we will see when otz introduces him

seems like alot better assts would be available

I'm hoping he brings some of his dads defensive mentality.  Lon once told a recruit "If you can't play defense then don't come to my team".  Kevin in his short time as a Rebel showed great on court leadership.  I hope he brings that leadership as well.  

But, I get what you are saying.  I would have preferred Justin Hawkins for his CA connections.  We haven't seen Kevin as a coach so I'm hoping he is ready to give back some of the things he has learned from his dad.  I'm also counting on getting some scheduling dates with Oklahoma.

Still a lot more assistants to come so perhaps you will get what you are looking for.

23 minutes ago, noloveforrebels said:

I like kk but what does he exactly bring to the table--coaching?? recruiting??  west coast players??--i guess we will see when otz introduces him

seems like alot better assts would be available

I'm hearing he has ties to some of the high level local HS players (Strawther and Hardy) in Vegas.  With that seeming to be a priority for TJO, KK seems like a smart addition.  Also hearing that Amauri Hardy is staying with UNLV.  Hoping that means UNLV is still in the mix for his brother.  KK addition should help that.

Kevin is a decent hire, as a player he had a good basketball I.Q.,  pretty green though as a coach.  This is going to be a guard oriented system offensively.  Player development for them is going to be critical.  Hopefully he is up to the task.

Interesting career move on his part.  Guess he wanted to get out from beyond his dad’s shadow.  If Otzleberger succeeds at a good level and moves on he would have a good chance of taking over.

I fully expect Kruger era UNLV fans to collectively cream themselves just hearing this news. 

KK can impart winning, because he has. He definitely knows his dad's philosophy of things, so that won't hurt. 

He's a young guy still who played and won at a high level at UNLV, so there's that.

I think it's a solid hire, so long as Totz brings in a couple of guys with legitimate coaching chops as a head coach, nba level assistant or lead recruiter.

15 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Kevin is a decent hire, as a player he had a good basketball I.Q.,  pretty green though as a coach.  This is going to be a guard oriented system offensively.  Player development for them is going to be critical.  Hopefully he is up to the task.

Interesting career move on his part.  Guess he wanted to get out from beyond his dad’s shadow.  If Otzleberger succeeds at a good level and moves on he would have a good chance of taking over.

KK's PG knowledge base could be a boon if Hardy is the guy taking over at PG 

17 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

I'm interested in seeing who the other assistants are....hopefully Tim Buckley is still a done deal.

34 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

My brother told me Lon & TJ are friends and have been for a few years.    

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

17 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

I like the KK hire. He may be a little green, but this will be his third program and he's really had 35 yrs experience with college coaching being raised by Lon.

I like it as well.  I also would like to see Justin Hawkins to Oklahoma now that they have an opening.  I would like Hawkins here but, it wouldn't hurt his career path working for Lon.

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

hopefully Tim Buckley is still a done deal.

Buckely is suppose to be a go.  Would expect it to be made official after the Timberwolves season is over.

DeMarlo Slocum is a solid hire if it comes to fruition as reported.  Has very good local connections, use to head the Prospects AAU program, and while not a major player in CA he does have connections with the Pump brothers.  He also spent some time at Colorado St. so he knows the league.

Will be interesting to see if he gets the associate head coach title, otherwise odd career move giving up a full time assistant job in the Pac-12 to move to the MWC.  Krystowiak really values continuity among his coaching staff so hard to believe Utah couldn’t match or exceed what UNLV is paying for the same role, but Slocum isn’t getting their associate job any time soon.

Between Slocum and Kruger looks like they are trying to do all they can to keep local talent from leaving Las Vegas.   Would have liked to see someone with some stronger connections in CA.   

I heard Anthony Coleman with ASU was someone Otzelberger was looking at.  He has better connections in CA but his connections to the ongoing FBI recruiting scandal hurt.

Only spot left would be DBO, perhaps a Special Advisor slot if the money is there.

2 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Buckely is suppose to be a go.  Would expect it to be made official after the Timberwolves season is over.

DeMarlo Slocum is a solid hire if it comes to fruition as reported.  Has very good local connections, use to head the Prospects AAU program, and while not a major player in CA he does have connections with the Pump brothers.  He also spent some time at Colorado St. so he knows the league.

Will be interesting to see if he gets the associate head coach title, otherwise odd career move giving up a full time assistant job in the Pac-12 to move to the MWC.  Krystowiak really values continuity among his coaching staff so hard to believe Utah couldn’t match or exceed what UNLV is paying for the same role, but Slocum isn’t getting their associate job any time soon.

Between Slocum and Kruger looks like they are trying to do all they can to keep local talent from leaving Las Vegas.   Would have liked to see someone with some stronger connections in CA.   

I heard Anthony Coleman with ASU was someone Otzelberger was looking at.  He has better connections in CA but his connections to the ongoing FBI recruiting scandal hurt.

Only spot left would be DBO, perhaps a Special Advisor slot if the money is there.

I think it's a solid line-up if those are the other two assistants. I assume Slocum has some connections in CA from his AAU days, but the Las Vegas pipeline is becoming quite talent rich.

I've been pretty big on Buckley ever since he was mentioned. He is a pretty smart guy when it comes to offense and player development.