Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Wyoming as a long history missing out on their own.  Daum and Jaycee Carroll among them.

On the Wyoming rivals board, both those names are uber verboten to this day. Is what it is. 

Otz was on 1100 this morning and mentioned the importance of the 2020  recruiting class and keeping local kids in Vegas. I'm liking what I am hearing. He has a vision.

On 920 with Matt Perrault - Mentioned the same thing. Said that keeping talent home will be an important focus and that he wants to make the Thomas & Mack a place local kids value and want to play. Also mentioned centering the program around player development and getting players who have a passion for the game.

Talked a little about his style, emphasizing transition offense, three-pointers, and analytics. Said that chemistry and sharing the ball will be important too.

Guest #1Stunner

I'll be curious if he can deliver on his promise that UNLV will never lose to UNR again (he even said "UNR"), and that he's bringing a National Championship back to Las Vegas.

He was big on saying how he was a huge Runnin' Rebels fan growing up, and how he thinks UNLV is a national brand.

But I'm not sure if he understands the MWC TV deal, and that not as many games are nationally televised.  That might not matter to recruits, though.

This was so so so predictable. UNLV fans in absolute meltdown mode when Hamburgerler was named front runner. “We want Miller” this is a huge mistake etc etc.

Now deleting all those tweets and everyone saying, “you know after doing more research and listening to presser I’m liking it.”

See you guys in 3 years again.

Just now, Jaredcg said:

This was so so so predictable. UNLV fans in absolute meltdown mode when Hamburgerler was named front runner. “We want Miller” this is a huge mistake etc etc.

Now deleting all those tweets and everyone saying, “you know after doing more research and listening to presser I’m liking it.”

Aww, u mad?

14 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Vegas style...

UNLV has glitz potential. That's something this conference sorely lacks and of which at least half its members are devoid.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Yeah he pretty much can go anywhere.... SDSU is interesting I wonder if Houston is on his list if Sampson leaves for Arkansas or A&M 👀 

Something about "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" comes to mind. :whistle:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

UNLV has glitz potential. That's something this conference sorely lacks and of which at least half its members are devoid.

If the front range schools were bran muffins, Vegas would be the accompanying bucket of icing - one's all steak, no sizzle, while the other is all frosting and no cake.

And unsurprisingly, both taste like shit.

F*ck... what is it with this thread and food?

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

13 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Buckley is certainly experienced but wouldn’t quite classify him as a veteran just yet.

As far as names there are plenty I can provide but in the end pretty pointless.  Trust is the name of the game.

Vast majority select from one of three methods; guys they have worked with before; guys they have befriended on the clinic/convention circuit and names they may not know well but receive from their inner circle of coaches they trust.

One interesting name he worked with at Washington is Raphael Chilious.  Chilious is very respected recruiter. in addition to Washington he was with Jay Wright at Viillanova.  He is currently at ECU.

Money of course always plays a factor in terms of quality of staff.

Maybe he can get Lorenzo Romar to join him.

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Glitz is all fine and dandy but certainly not a component of a #SuperiorLifestyle

25 minutes ago, Jaredcg said:

It's just fans being fans.

9 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

If the front range schools were bran muffins, Vegas would be the accompanying bucket of icing - one's all steak, no sizzle, while the other is all frosting and no cake.

And unsurprisingly, both taste like shit.

Now you went and did it. I wasn't going to get into specifics but other than Boise football, Lobos basketball and the service academy appeal of Air Force does anybody outside the conference even know they exist?

I still think if SDSU, UNLV, Fresno, Nevada, USU and Hawaii could get SJSU and Cal Poly to agree to take just a 50% cut of TV revenue that we would be better off on our own. Boise could become the Gonzaga of what's left of the Molehill Worst plus a few Big Sky schools and they would all be better off too.

Boom goes the dynamite.

21 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Glitz is all fine and dandy but certainly not a component of a #SuperiorLifestyle

Who's talking about superior lifestyle? I'm talking about conference logistics and visibility.

Enjoy your Birkenstocks.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

If it's true, I have to wonder if Marvin told/sold him on how Aztec hoops is all about Family. Ten toes down and all that.

Plus, he's been to the Madhouse. He knows what's up. Who wouldn't want to play in front of the best home crowd in Cali? :shrug:

Props, bruh. You got both qwelish and Jared to give you a face palm! :)

Boom goes the dynamite.