Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

30 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

He worked part time as an equipment manager. He has some mental issues. 

You guys seem to own the market in regards to crazy fans.  It used to be SDSU.  But most of their crazies have left.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Right. You have an AD who isn't making the decisions regarding hires in the athletic dept. 

Does DRF know she's just a figurehead with no real authority?

Is her flying around the country looking for a coach just another smokescreen?

When you let boosters make your hiring decisions you end up with coaches like Dave Rice. 

ADs never make a decision on major coaching  hires on their own. Especially the highest profile job. Do you really think boosters blindly give their money with no input on who the hire is? 

For our sake I certainly hope she isn’t making the decision on her own. If so we are screwed.  

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You guys seem to own the market in regards to crazy fans.  It used to be SDSU.  But most of their crazies have left.

Ahem...we’ve got Convert.  That’s worth at least 3 crazy unlv fans. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:
6 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Ahem...we’ve got Convert.  That’s worth at least 3 crazy unlv fans. 

True. Plus we've got that @Lawlorfaithful guy. Assuming the authorities haven't caught up to him

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

20 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

ADs never make a decision on major coaching  hires on their own. Especially the highest profile job. Do you really think boosters blindly give their money with no input on who the hire is? 

For our sake I certainly hope she isn’t making the decision on her own. If so we are screwed.  

Sigh.  Basketball boosters.   They're like leprechauns here in Boise.   The AD has complete control here now that Kustra is retired.   Not good for hoops in Boise. 

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Leave now.  This is not a safe place for a Mr. Rodgers.  

Uh... Mr Rodgers was a sniper before he was Mr. Rodgers. Don’t let @mugtang‘s sweater fool you. 

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Can you imagine how obnoxious UNLV fans are going to be in the off season if we land a big fish.  You though we were bad with the recruiting championships in the Rice era?  Wait till we have Thad Matta and he lands a couple 5 stars. :rotflmfao:

We haven’t even begun. 

59 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I blocked his ad blocker so he hasn’t been around since. 

He also hasn’t been back since UNLV lost to Bucknell. 

Just sayin. 

So on my way home I was listening to cofield, and he had the radio guy for Ohio St on, he’s been there for 20 years. He said Matta IF HEALTHY would be a slam dunk for Vegas, he could absolutely see him taking the job, he would be a great fit for the city as well. He also said his personality is 10 times better than Kruger’s lol, 

he talked about the difference between his early years, ultra high energy, and his last couple when he was in pain due to a bad surgery he had on his foot done at Ohio St. he said if it is healed he would be crazy good, especially in Vegas. 

On the down side, he said that he THINKS he accepted the Butler job right after he was fired, and then said no. And of course same last year at Georgia, so there is that. But with only 1 year left to collect his $3 mill he Could very well see him going to Vegas since there is a vacancy there. He said UNLV is a school with NC history, that could do it again with the right coach, and said the pro sports are helping the profile.  

After that they talked to a news guy about Hoiberg, I don’t see him coming to UNLV, he is still getting $5 mill next year from Chicago, and If he goes anywhere I think it will be Nebraska, it is ‘home’. One thing I would like about Hoiberg is that it would drive Iowa state fans crazy lol. And if he DID come here I think we’d all be on board, lol. I just don’t see it happening. 

They asked him about Jason Kidd. He laughed and said that everywhere Kidd goes the place is a mess afterwards. So. Never mind lol. 

Well there you go. 

5 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Rebels chasing HC "pipe dreams" remind me of a dog chasing its own tail that keeps locking up its brakes, rear-ending itself, and getting its nose stuck up its own ass.

If we can pay $2.8 million per year, we can get a ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ coach.

21 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

So on my way home I was listening to cofield, and he had the radio guy for Ohio St on, he’s been there for 20 years. He said Matta IF HEALTHY would be a slam dunk for Vegas, he could absolutely see him taking the job, he would be a great fit for the city as well. He also said his personality is 10 times better than Kruger’s lol, 

he talked about the difference between his early years, ultra high energy, and his last couple when he was in pain due to a bad surgery he had on his foot done at Ohio St. he said if it is healed he would be crazy good, especially in Vegas. 

On the down side, he said that he THINKS he accepted the Butler job right after he was fired, and then said no. And of course same last year at Georgia, so there is that. But with only 1 year left to collect his $3 mill he Could very well see him going to Vegas since there is a vacancy there. He said UNLV is a school with NC history, that could do it again with the right coach, and said the pro sports are helping the profile.  

After that they talked to a news guy about Hoiberg, I don’t see him coming to UNLV, he is still getting $5 mill next year from Chicago, and If he goes anywhere I think it will be Nebraska, it is ‘home’. One thing I would like about Hoiberg is that it would drive Iowa state fans crazy lol. And if he DID come here I think we’d all be on board, lol. I just don’t see it happening. 

They asked him about Jason Kidd. He laughed and said that everywhere Kidd goes the place is a mess afterwards. So. Never mind lol. 

Well there you go. 

Chris Bird 2.0.  I don’t get why everyone is so fixated on Thad Matta.  We have a shitload of options if we are truly going to spend $2.8 million per year.

3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Chris Bird 2.0.  I don’t get why everyone is so fixated on Thad Matta.  We have a shitload of options if we are truly going to spend $2.8 million per year.

So you think if Thad Matta was hired he’d bolt in a few weeks? Because even if Matta were to bolt in a year or two, at least we’ll be a factor in the MWC in the meantime. Something we’re not right now.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

5 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Guys with 2 FF options? #1 seeds? #1 rankings? Multiple B10 champs?

Nope.  Not at 2.8 or whatever. 

2 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

So you think if Thad Matta was hired he’d bolt in a few weeks? Because even if Matta were to bolt in a year or two, at least we’ll be a factor in the MWC in the meantime. Something we’re not right now.

You don’t hire a coach to have him bolt in a year or two.  My first choice would be Nate Oats.  He would come here in two seconds if offered $2.8 million per year.