Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

Just now, quickdraw said:

Roll the dice, this is Vegas baby!

Honestly is some sucker booster are paying the $800,000 & buyouts what the hell - churn thru coaches till you roll the 7 !! 

If the boosters are going to pay the bail, why not keep trying to pull off the heist :shrug:

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If there is no game changer then UNLV could be right back to same thing as Menzies 1st year and also out $800,000 to Menzies 

It would be pretty difficult to repeat all of the screwups that led to Marv's 1st year. First of all he wasn't fired mid season. +1 for a new direction and competence within the Athletic Department.

2 minutes ago, NOTGREATBOB! said:

I feel really really bad for Menzies and if UNLV does not land Matta (or someone of a similar level) it's going to feel absolutely disgusting. Menzies year one had to start with the absolute shits, and acting as though the attendance was his fault - instead of an necessarily rebuild-orientated program vs. a new pro sports team in town - is insane. 

If this is for anyone other than a slam dunk hire it's ridiculous. 

I agree on the hire thing. But this is Vegas. 

You dont come here and rest on your laurels because you think youre set for 5 years.

He's a big boy and this is a big boys game. 

He shares blame in the attendance due to the product he put out there. 

The crowds showed up at times, but each time Marv laid an egg.

4 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Seems people have already forgotten that DRF has been blowing smoke for two months now.

Not sure how you can put it past her now.

She's politicing and playing the role. 

She's cut throat. She gets this done.

Have to say that if she pulls off a serious hire, then she's the real deal that UNLV hasn't really ever had at the AD position 

3 minutes ago, NOTGREATBOB! said:

I feel really really bad for Menzies and if UNLV does not land Matta (or someone of a similar level) it's going to feel absolutely disgusting. Menzies year one had to start with the absolute shits, and acting as though the attendance was his fault - instead of an necessarily rebuild-orientated program vs. a new pro sports team in town - is insane. 

If this is for anyone other than a slam dunk hire it's ridiculous. 

I  do feel bad for Menzies, BUT...he knew that he was coming to UNLV, and who we are.  But he was so stubborn about building from the ground up that he just couldn't incorporate a couple of decent transfers to go along with the high school kids he was recruiting. AND he recruited too many projects. There was just no time for that, and he knew it, but he did it anyway. That might have been his biggest mistake. He needed to bring some excitement into the T&M, and he just didn't seem to have any interest in doing that.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

LMAO!!  You guys have such an inflated ego about your school!!

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

There are good coaches available. If the money is there then this could be perfect timing to bring in the real deal. Vegas is a town quietly waiting to explode and support a great program. If you build it they will come has never been more true. A coach that does that would find Vegas a great place to live and enjoy life beyond basketball but you need to build an elite program 1st. It was done once and yes it can be done again. DRF said it as plain as can be. I'm so sick of lowered expectations. Get a great coach and kick this pig in the ribs.

Yes I am a true believer because I am a Rebel fan.

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

It seemed awkward and clumsy to me, and as others have said, she sounded like she was going to cry.

early on. but when she got to the questions she was less nervous, and flat out said she didn't have confidence in him. she was more honest then than when reading her statement, and it WAS a big moment, this was her first big firing.

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It seemed awkward and clumsy to me, and as others have said, she sounded like she was going to cry.

It was awkward when she knocked over the microphone. I never thought she sounded like she'd cry; she sounded sure and confident.

Imagine a clown like TKM up there...

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

I  do feel bad for Menzies, BUT...he knew that he was coming to UNLV, and who we are.  But he was so stubborn about building from the ground up that he just couldn't incorporate a couple of decent transfers to go along with the high school kids he was recruiting. AND he recruited too many projects. There was just no time for that, and he knew it, but he did it anyway. That might have been his biggest mistake. He needed to bring some excitement into the T&M, and he just didn't seem to have any interest in doing that.

He even stated in interviews that he wasnt concerned about that. But after Bucknell he changed his tune a little bit. 

Too little, too late.

I do wonder if he knew he did not have the time to do it his way. Thats why I called him gullible. He even referenced being told five years when he was hired.

Dude, if you really believe that, after the AD and Pres responsible for hiring you as a last result were gone, I have a bridge to sell you.