Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Why are you retweeting that EliVGKbolt nerd? The guy doesn't have a clue about basketball.

Just wait until players leave. We hire a WCC coach and not even I show up.

If we press reset again. I'm not renewing. This program has no stability. Finally has a roster and continuity and people want to press reset? LMAO. NA.

You better hope it's Matta or Menzies. Otherwise it ain't gonna be shit. Guaranteed.

What roster? The guys that went 17-14 with an embarrassingly soft OOC schedule and only finished 5th in the most down season the MWC has ever had in it's entire history? 5th place in the worst year the MWC has ever had. Even then Menzies and this roster couldn't notch a SINGLE WIN against a MWC team with a winning record. Marred with 15-20+ point losses to teams like Air Force, SDSU, Reno, USU, & Fresno.

Is that the type of continuity you want? Do you reallllly, actually think UNLV is going to build anything special off that? You're delusional. Pretty much anyone is better than burnt baked potato-head Menzies. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

What's the excuse next year? Oh I got it Marv you can say you lost 2 senior starters. The excuses just keep coming.

Youth isn't an excuse. It's facts.

Yes, Clyburn and Robotham...very comparable to the experience 5th year seniors or even Juniors in this Conference...

Stakes go up next year.

I know we're UNLV fans...and forget what it's like to bring players back...

but they get better. They get more experienced. They have more expectations...

Something we haven't seen in what? 6+ years.

It's always....OH NEW 5 STARS BOYS!!!

Meanwhile 4 year Wyoming players beat our ass..

You want success.. but you don't want to wait... This new coach won't get time either.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 minute ago, Rebels18 said:

What roster? The guys that went 17-14 with an embarrassingly soft OOC schedule and only finished 5th in the most down season the MWC has ever had in it's entire history? 5th place in the worst year the MWC has ever has ever had. Even then Menzies and this roster couldn't notch a SINGLE WIN against a MWC team with a winning record. Marred with 15-20+ point losses to teams like Air Force, SDSU, Reno, USU, & Fresno.

Is that the type of continuity you want? You actually think UNLV is going to build something special off that? You're delusional. Pretty much anyone is better than burnt baked potato-head Menzies. 

You're right dude.

Hire Joe Pasternack.

We gonna be lit next year.....

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

Youth isn't an excuse. It's facts.

Yes, Clyburn and Robotham...very comparable to the experience 5th year seniors or even Juniors in this Conference...

Stakes go up next year.

I know we're UNLV fans...and forget what it's like to bring players back...

but they get better. They get more experienced. They have more expectations...

Something we haven't seen in what? 6+ years.

It's always....OH NEW 5 STARS BOYS!!!

Meanwhile 4 year Wyoming players beat our ass..

You want success.. but you don't want to wait... This new coach won't get time either.

Nothing has showed me that Marvin can actually coach. The guy has never beat anybody.

27 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

We have two choices here: 

If UNLV wants to be a respectable program they need to hire someone safe like Thad Matta who is Lon Kruger 2.0. He'll win the MWC here and there, and even take us the occasional Sweet-16/Elite 8. 

If UNLV wants to return to international super stardom/notoriety and buttf*ck the MWC every year as a stepping stone to Final Fours and National Championships and sellout the T&M every game....then they need to pay Rick Pitino whatever the hell he wants. 

I choose option B. Playing it safe has drained this program dry. It's time for UNLV to return to the main stage and be the program it was born to be. 

Thad Matta is NOT Lon Kruger 2.0. I would suggest you check the numbers and resumes because that is just plain disrespectful.

PITINO

Career Record (major schools): 32 Years, 770-271, .740 W-L%

Schools: Hawaii (2-4), Boston University (91-51), Providence (42-23), Kentucky (219-50) and Louisville (416-143)

Conference Champion: 10 Times (Reg. Seas.), 12 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 21 Years (54-19), 7 Final Fours, 2 Championships

NCAA Champion: 1996 and 2013

THAD

Career Record (major schools): 17 Years, 439-154, .740 W-L%

Schools: Butler (24-8), Xavier (78-23) and Ohio State (337-123)

Conference Champion: 8 Times (Reg. Seas.), 7 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 13 Years (24-13), 2 Final Fours, 0 Championships

LON

Career Record (major schools): 33 Years, 638-408, .610 W-L%

Schools: Texas-Rio Grande Valley (52-59), Kansas State (81-46), Florida (104-80), Illinois (81-48), Nevada-Las Vegas (161-71) and Oklahoma (159-104)

Conference Champion: 2 Times (Reg. Seas.), 2 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 18 Years (20-18), 2 Final Fours, 0 Championships

Thad Matta is Pitino Lite. It's not even close. He's younger than Pitino by a large margin, stays in one place and he wins his conference. He also kicks ass in recruiting, landing tons of NBA guys and no NCAA issues.

If DRF can land Thad, its a no brainer. 

2 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

No we're hiring Rick Pitino. Gotta keep the dream alive mutha f*cka

And if he isn't hired. We hire Pasternack? lmao gotta be real dude.

2 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

Nothing has showed me that Marvin can actually coach. The guy has never beat anybody.

So lets reset now. +++++ it. I just won't be around for it. Neither will everyone else. They'll quit on new guy quick.

One less booster to chime in ?!?!

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/mar/14/longtime-unlv-backer-philanthropist-robert-layne-d/

Longtime UNLV backer, philanthropist Robert Layne dies

Philanthropist and longtime UNLV supporter Robert “Bruce” Layne died Friday at the age of 73 after a long battle with Parkinson’s disease, the university announced today.

Layne, who graduated from UNLV in 1969, was nominated to the UNLV Foundation board of trustees in 1986 and was an emeritus board member from 2017 until his death.

"Our community lost one of its truly good people in Bruce Layne,” UNLV Athletic Director Desiree Reed-Francois said in a statement. “He personified the student-athlete ideal as a competitor, a scholar and someone who made others around him better. It has been an absolute privilege to get to know Bruce and (his wife) Sherry. Their warmth, generosity and kindness have genuinely impacted my family as well as our department.”

In February, a new baseball scoreboard named in Layne’s honor was unveiled at Earl Wilson Stadium on the UNLV campus. Layne made a large donation to build the scoreboard.

“The success of UNLV today is the result of people like Bruce, who gave their time and talent and cared deeply about students and this community,” said Scott Roberts, vice president of philanthropy and alumni engagement at UNLV.

Just now, qwelish said:

Thad Matta is NOT Lon Kruger 2.0. I would suggest you check the numbers and resumes because that is just plain disrespectful.

PITINO

Career Record (major schools): 32 Years, 770-271, .740 W-L%

Schools: Hawaii (2-4), Boston University (91-51), Providence (42-23), Kentucky (219-50) and Louisville (416-143)

Conference Champion: 10 Times (Reg. Seas.), 12 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 21 Years (54-19), 7 Final Fours, 2 Championships

NCAA Champion: 1996 and 2013

THAD

Career Record (major schools): 17 Years, 439-154, .740 W-L%

Schools: Butler (24-8), Xavier (78-23) and Ohio State (337-123)

Conference Champion: 8 Times (Reg. Seas.), 7 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 13 Years (24-13), 2 Final Fours, 0 Championships

LON

Career Record (major schools): 33 Years, 638-408, .610 W-L%

Schools: Texas-Rio Grande Valley (52-59), Kansas State (81-46), Florida (104-80), Illinois (81-48), Nevada-Las Vegas (161-71) and Oklahoma (159-104)

Conference Champion: 2 Times (Reg. Seas.), 2 Times (Tourn.)

NCAA Tournament: 18 Years (20-18), 2 Final Fours, 0 Championships

Thad Matta is Pitino Lite. It's not even close. He's younger than Pitino by a large margin, stays in one place and he wins his conference. He also kicks ass in recruiting, landing tons of NBA guys and no NCAA issues.

If DRF can land Thad, its a no brainer. 

Thad Matta would be a great hire, don't get me wrong. But I have three major reservations with him. My main reservation with him is he retired when he was like 49 years old because the stress of the Ohio St. job and the expectations that came with it were too much for him to handle. Kinda chickenshit if you ask me.

The second reason why I think he's Kruger 2.0 instead of Pitino-lite is he could be interested in the UNLV job for the wrong reasons. Kruger took UNLV as a step down from a P-5 job because there were lower expectations/stress at a smaller program like UNLV. Kruger wasn't really hitting the recruiting trail very hard and was seemed more interested in his golf-game during the summer than pounding the pavement on the recruiting trail. Thad Matta is in for a surprise if he thinks we have lower expectations just because we're not in a P-5 conference, we're the most insufferable/toxic fanbase in CBB.

Third reason, that's a very nice list of statistics you put there....but our situation isn't all about wins/losses. This is Las Vegas and we need a marquee name to SELL TICKETS. Pitino would be an blockbuster hit in Las Vegas that would sell-out the T&M every game from the get-go. I'm willing to bet the average fan in Vegas doesn't even know who the f*ck Thad Matta is he's been out of the game for so long. I think he has the potential to probably do very well here, but it would take him much more time to get things rolling. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Edited the topic heading to add UNLV along with Menzies.

Have to figure in this day of transferring in and out, UNLV will see some players come and go besides Clyburn and Robotham ..........and if menzies is cut loose, that could also bring player movement 

8 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Edited the topic heading to add UNLV along with Menzies.

Have to figure in this day of transferring in and out, UNLV will see some players come and go besides Clyburn and Robotham ..........and if menzies is cut loose, that could also bring player movement 

I think after what happened in the aftermath of the Rice firing, fears of mass exodus are being overblown. Rice's lazy, entitled primadonna players thought they were entitled to be catered to, and once Rice was shown the door they scattered like cockroaches. Beard ran most of the remaining ones off before bolting himself.

When Kruger left, there was no mass exodus even tho several players were unhappy. We did lose a signifocant recruit in NWG but most stayed.

If Mediocre Marv is canned and a competent coach is hored to replace him, maybe a few players will leave but majority will stay IMO. The key is finding a replacement who will convinve the roster to stay. Those who want to follow Marv to UC Riverside, good riddance.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Checking in guys.  How are things in here?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Thad Matta would be a great hire, don't get me wrong. But I have three major reservations with him. My main reservation with him is he retired when he was like 49 years old because the stress of the Ohio St. job and the expectations that came with it were too much for him to handle. Kinda chickenshit if you ask me.

The second reason why I think he's Kruger 2.0 instead of Pitino-lite is he could be interested in the UNLV job for the wrong reasons. Kruger took UNLV as a step down from a P-5 job because there were lower expectations/stress at a smaller program like UNLV. Kruger wasn't really hitting the recruiting trail very hard and was seemed more interested in his golf-game during the summer than pounding the pavement on the recruiting trail. Thad Matta is in for a surprise if he thinks we have lower expectations just because we're not in a P-5 conference, we're the most insufferable/toxic fanbase in CBB.

Third reason, that's a very nice list of statistics you put there....but our situation isn't all about wins/losses. This is Las Vegas and we need a marquee name to SELL TICKETS. Pitino would be an blockbuster hit in Las Vegas that would sell-out the T&M every game from the get-go. I'm willing to bet the average fan in Vegas doesn't even know who the f*ck Thad Matta is he's been out of the game for so long. I think he has the potential to probably do very well here, but it would take him much more time to get things rolling. 

No thats not why he retired. He was fired from Ohio St because his health was not good, some sort of foot/ankle issue, and as his health got worse, his records began to slip and he was ultimately fired.

Thad is a kick ass recruiter. He's on par with Pitino as a recruiter and sent a ton of guys to the NBA. But you are right. UNLV's fan base is an animal all its own.

I cant really argue the name thing. Pitino is a superstar. That said, is he really just famous, or infamous at this point? With a female AD and President and a corporate PC town like LV, 

There is a possibility that slick Rick's name precedes him and its an issue with a part of the fan base. 

It's quite possible that both Thad and Rick have players and assistants with players lined up and ready to go immediately. 

With Rick being such good friends with Marv, I just see it as such a long shot is highly unlikely. Even though slick Rick waxed the ass of one of his assistants wives. 

19 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

And if he isn't hired. We hire Pasternack? lmao gotta be real dude.

So lets reset now. +++++ it. I just won't be around for it. Neither will everyone else. They'll quit on new guy quick.

there you go again with you're f*cking negativity. Buzzkill. We gotta go for gold with Pitino, or the very least silver w/ Matta.....just get Menzies out of your head because that's NOT happening. We're not hiring Pasternack either, doesn't he already have a P5 job after Memphis fired his ass?

PITINO/ Matta OR BUST. Anyone else and they should just shutdown the program and focus on football. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Just now, qwelish said:

Just trying to keep this place profitable for you, big guy. 

But we want our cut.

Your check is in the mail!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater