Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

7 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

She’s not. And that guy posting is an idiot. 

I think the Wynn's have only wanted to donate when it is THEIR candidate.. Pitino for Steve when he had $, lol, Kidd for Elaine.

4 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Which booster is backing Matta?

I’m not going to mention their names, IMO that’s their decision,  but they are both long time Las Vegans that have the funds to make things happen. They are not our usual all hat no cattle boosters like we saw when we hired Menzies. 

Im not worried about the money at all. This didn’t happen overnight. It’s been in the works for quite a while. 

7 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

I’m not going to mention their names, IMO that’s their decision,  but they are both long time Las Vegans that have the funds to make things happen. They are not our usual all hat no cattle boosters like we saw when we hired Menzies. 

Im not worried about the money at all. This didn’t happen overnight. It’s been in the works for quite a while. 

The Fertittas?

9 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

The Fertittas?

8 minutes ago, toonkee said:

mendenhalls?

Think the Fertitta's are more Sanchez backers than UNLV overall 

Mendenhall's might be even though the old man died 

Could be lots of new younger boosters than the old Tarkanaian era group 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Would be the 2nd RED DEFECTION of a UNR coach to UNLV & this one might send them over the edge way more than Jeff Horton did in 1996 :pullhair:

It would actually be the third. Back in the day Bill Ireland was our baseball coach who then left and went to UNLV.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

My opinion of this is the search firm isn't for the search, it is purely to dig up anything bad in their background before making that decision. DRF needs to make the right hire, but they have to be clean. Hire Pitino, every flag in the world would be around the program and she cannot afford issues on her resume. 

Also my real feelings on the firing is that they are trying to sell the UNLV brand as a potential future Power 5 school. With football, they are using hype man with money behind him in Tony Sanchez to get all the facilities needed. If he wins before the stadium, he gets a shot. If he loses, a real hire takes over with new stadium and new facilities. 

For basketball, if this was any other program considered mid major to major, Menzies gets another shot. DRF sees that Menzies is not a guy to drive excitement in the program to potentially sell its appeal to a power conference. She needs basketball to thrive and football to build into their new facility with any hopes of being power 5. 

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

:pullhair: 

Also of note:

Reno entered in about the worst of times in the conference. Worst for MWC. Worst for the top 3. Worst group of programs.

All is well, For Rice is gone.