Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Nothing here but my own muddled opinion........but here's who I see leaving of the underclassmen

1)  Djordjije Sljivancanin - He's not see any worthwhile minutes in two seasons and I think he eating up a scholarship 

2) Tervell Beck - Totally fell out of the rotation and seems to be out of Menzies long term plans. He's got potential to be able to play, but I think that opportunity comes at a smaller program

3) Jay Green - Got very little playing time as a So, and probably will be recruited over in coming classes & let's not forget, his brother was a target and now that he opted for another school, Green could be out the door 

4) Ben Coupet - Seems to be ok, but couldn't break into the rotation during So. year, another whos scholarship could go to a more formidable player 

Those are four players I could see leaving for greener pastures ans they all could probably get playing time at smaller programs ..........that's probably four scholarships that would be free'd up for potential recruits and or JC's / transfers or at the least one of the scholarships could go to Blair since he walked on and eventually was tossed into the rotation.

Thinking Menzies needs to land a work ready big for next season - UNLV will have Jusiton back and Diong, Dembele & Bangai are all still works in progress & they are probably better at this point coming off the bench 

They're only eating up a scholarship if Menzies can land someone better than the starters currently or another freshmen.

This could be the year to do it though.

Chase Jeter...would be nice.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

He redshirted this season. I doubt they redshirt him and then ask him to leave. 

I honestly think Beck and Jay like being here and probably stay. 

Didn't know that redshirt about Green - But the other three could all be gone.

I think Ntambwe, Hamilton, Woodbury all stay if Menzies stays............if Menzies is cut loose all bets are off on who might stay or leave and who the new coach might try to hang on 

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

They're only eating up a scholarship if Menzies can land someone better than the starters currently or another freshmen.

This could be the year to do it though.

Chase Jeter...would be nice.

Would be Jeter's 3rd stop and not sure he's got the time does he ?!?! But if Miller is ousted at AZ, there might be a possibility 

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I agree with you.  Just to be clear I wasn't talking about accepting current results as what the status quo should be.  Just talking about a big picture approach.    

No I know. I was speaking more out loud than directly to you.

6 minutes ago, qwelish said:

UNLV's walk on-esque players started and played major minutes while scholarship players sat the bench during and 11 and 17 win campaigns.

But yeah, you say signing JC or transfers in those roles instead would not have helped talent and roster flexibility. 

Menzies can do no wrong. 

Got it!

Again. Blair is a D1 player. He walked on to come to UNLV. He could easily get scholarship elsewhere.

You just keep repeating the same things. All I said was JC/transfers/freshmen...whats the difference? Year 1 they were all not that talented and not long termers. If Menzies needs that scholly...hes gonna get that scholly...

Yup, that is what you get out of this....got it.

I'm done.

5 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

Season two spoiled it, they blew out UTAH; then they where on track to go undefeated (OOC) until they got screwed last second at NOI, like that roller coaster of season kinda shocked the people who were already hating. He Marvin was proving them right only winning 4 conference games with a cut a paste roster of fill ins improved with a top 50 recruiting class (not really sure the numbers someone help me) then almost beat Ayton and Arizona only to prove them right with an 8-11 conference (even though they beat a ranked Nevada at home) record. Then he starts the season off bad and it’s even worse; mid season the Rebels come into form as a team and distinctly defines themselves as better the the bad and not as good as the best (which could argue the top three are bubble teams) they are among nation leaders in rebounding and like top 5 in offensive rebounding. Shoot a very high 3 point percentage. It’s enough to shock those who could be shocked.

If he keeps his upward projections as his career states and as the pressures build UNLV may have created the perfect circumstance for a diamond...

Last season was very weird. Our front court was nasty. Our back court was terrible.

Teams crowded the paint and made us shoot 3's. Which we shot league worst at 29%. (Shoot 37% this year)

Then on defense our perimeter guards were very small and not very good at denying pentration...allowing for drives at will...and McCoy defense suspect..and not wanting foul trouble basically let em score.

People forget MWC is a different animal. There is a reason this league surprises sometimes.

9 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Would be Jeter's 3rd stop and not sure he's got the time does he ?!?! But if Miller is ousted at AZ, there might be a possibility 

Grad transfer possibility.

4 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Again. Blair is a D1 player. He walked on to come to UNLV. He could easily get scholarship elsewhere.

You just keep repeating the same things. All I said was JC/transfers/freshmen...whats the difference? Year 1 they were all not that talented and not long termers. If Menzies needs that scholly...hes gonna get that scholly...

Yup, that is what you get out of this....got it.

I'm done.

You better check his stats. He barely got off the bench for Idaho. 

He did not have scholarships lined up. 

Youre just making shit up. He's a walk on caliber player. Again 3 walk ons played this year due to 1 meaningful injury. That screams issues with talent.

There is a difference in JC/transfers/freshmen and the major difference is the impact they have on the continuity and flexibility of a roster.

Thats pretty much a major component of my entire point. So the fact that you pretend that there is no difference is a big reason why your arguments make zero sense on the topic.

3 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I dont understand why UNLV would even want Jeter.

wut?

He's a solid post option...something UNLV doesn't currently have.

Juiston played his best as a role next to a post player big man.

He's experienced in ACC and PAC 12. He's a Vegas kid.

He's an elite rebounder and big body post presence.

Question is why wouldn't UNLV want him...

Just now, qwelish said:

Youre just making shit up. He's a walk on caliber player.

There is a difference in JC/transfers/freshmen and the major difference is the impact they have on the continuity and flexibility of a roster.

Thats pretty much a major component of my entire point. So the fact that you pretend that there is no difference is a big reason why your arguments make zero sense on the topic.

This is true...........and it makes me think the Idaho staff missed something about Blair - Granted he's not starter material at UNLV, but he is able to give 5-8 minutes a half

Idaho was terrible when he was there and lousier this year with 5 total wins 

wut?

He's a solid post option...something UNLV doesn't currently have.

Juiston played his best as a role next to a post player big man.

He's experienced in ACC and PAC 12. He's a Vegas kid.

He's an elite rebounder and big body post presence.

Question is why wouldn't UNLV want him...

Front court is loaded. UNLV needs an impact off guard and/or swingman. 

I just watched arizona get bounced yesterday and have watched them 4 or 5 times this year.

If he walks on im with it. No wonder you dont see an issue with all of the wasted scholarships. 

UNLV needs impact talent. 

This guy is a stinking genius (according to himself!) as he's supposedly "connected" to UNLV boosters and is constantly adding DRF & UNLV Prez to his tweets - Think he's 75% moron & 20% nitwit with 5% sensible tossed in to keep the guys in the white coats at bay 

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

This is true...........and it makes me think the Idaho staff missed something about Blair - Granted he's not starter material at UNLV, but he is able to give 5-8 minutes a half

Idaho was terrible when he was there and lousier this year with 5 total wins 

He played. His production was super sometimey and he's very undersized.

He's a pf/c in a sg/sf body.

If he's in the rotation next season it will not be a good sign for UNLV.

Just now, qwelish said:

He played. His production was super sometimey and he's super undersized.

He's a pf/c in a sg/sf body.

If he's in the rotation next season it will not be a good sign for UNLV.

Agree - he's a tweener size wise.........too small for his real skill set and too PF'ish to play the 2 or 3 that he's sized for - But I could see him getting some minutes just based on the fact Menzies seems to reward loyalty and upper classmen - But in the MWC he's decent enough to get some PT along the way..........but he shouldn't be a major cog in the rotation 

9 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Youre just making shit up. He's a walk on caliber player. Again 3 walk ons played this year due to 1 meaningful injury. That screams issues with talent.

I checked his stats. Who said stats?

Still a D1 player.

Yup I'm making up his 26 and 6 peformance in D1 on a UNLV court. Nobody would want him. I'm a fool for thinking that.

Year 1 there was no difference champ.

JC/Freshman.Transfer.

If you were available...you weren't highly recruited and you weren't that great. Menzies year 1 recruiting regardless of where they came from.

I disagree their was that much more talented players available than what he got. No more that would be on the roster currently or elevating this program.

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Agree - he's a tweener size wise.........too small for his real skill set and too PF'ish to play the 2 or 3 that he's sized for - But I could see him getting some minutes just based on the fact Menzies seems to reward loyalty and upper classmen - But in the MWC he's decent enough to get some PT along the way..........but he shouldn't be a major cog in the rotation 

He's good for small ball rotation. Helluva rebounder. 36% from 3 isn't terrible either. He's a breather guy that can stretch the floor and keep up rebounding.

He's good for small ball rotation. Helluva rebounder. 36% from 3 isn't terrible either. He's a breather guy that can stretch the floor and keep up rebounding.

He might be good for creating a mismatch to draw the opponents big out of the key - Think Blair could be useful in certain situations and he does rebound better than his size 

For people saying he came from a smaller program in Idaho...........look at where UNR's stable of players came from, except for the Martin twins they all came from smaller programs than Nevada & Muss made then into a top 20 team