Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

39 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

But you can't really hire a search firm while you have a guy on contract, unless you keep it very quiet, which would be difficult to do if you're a public university. 

Thing was though this wasn't kept quiet. They were saying he was going to be fired for weeks now. I wouldn't be surprised if they had done the search committee during that time

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

Thing was though this wasn't kept quiet. They were saying he was going to be fired for weeks now. I wouldn't be surprised if they had done the search committee during that time

Yeah, they really F'd that up.  They probably wish the Huskers wouldn't have made the NIT. 

I'm kind of surprised Hoiberg took the Nebraska job.  It's as much of a dead end as rebel football.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Yeah, they really F'd that up.  They probably wish the Huskers wouldn't have made the NIT. 

I'm kind of surprised Hoiberg took the Nebraska job.  It's as much of a dead end as rebel football.  

he hasn't accepted it yet. Word is he is currently on vacation

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

he hasn't accepted it yet. Word is he is currently on vacation

On vacation spending his bonus money. :D

It does sound like what my brother told me is true.  Neb and FH have been negotiating for awhile. 

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

On vacation spending his bonus money. :D

It does sound like what my brother told me is true.  Neb and FH have been negotiating for awhile. 

Wouldn't surprise me since schools have done that before. That is why I was kind of hoping Nebraska won the NIT title.

40 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If I was the new coach, I'd definitley cut some of the current roster loose, but I'd also keep the core guys - Despite everything these freshmen & sophomores were still better players than half of the other teams in the MWC and anyone could see they had upsides...........so at least that might have kept UNLV around the middle of the MWC next year with some additions.........now all bets are off as the UNLV roster could rival SJSU next year 

So rather than starting with a middle of the MWC roster, UNLV might be starting with a 10th/11th place MWC roster..........and that's going backwards from where Menzies was just 3 weeks ago 

Agree with a lot of this.  But I think    What you said in regards to the Unlv talent level being in the middle of the pack in the MW was the reason MM was fired.  In my opinion that is not acceptable for Unlv.  I believe I could be hired next week and recruit well enough to finish 5/6th in the MW.  The new guy will bring in some horses.    No doubt about it.  I do not believe for a second your talent level will be 10-11.  Unlv is a pretty easy place to recruit to.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Anyone could see MM was in the process of a rebuild and wasn't given the time to see if was going to work or now.........now if the UNLV roster is left bare by transfers, the new guy will be right where menzies was coming in, with few players and desperate to get enough bodies..........it's a rest to the end of Dave Rice for UNLV 

cranky-crying-toddler.jpg

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

13 minutes ago, slappy said:

Agree with a lot of this.  But I think    What you said in regards to the Unlv talent level being in the middle of the pack in the MW was the reason MM was fired.  In my opinion that is not acceptable for Unlv.  I believe I could be hired next week and recruit well enough to finish 5/6th in the MW.  The new guy will bring in some horses.    No doubt about it.  I do not believe for a second your talent level will be 10-11.  Unlv is a pretty easy place to recruit to.

No doubt that UNLV fans want and expect more in the way of highly rated recruits - and a lot of the roster wasn't highly ranked, but they had potential from what I saw 

If the new guy is up for keeping any of the current roster I'd try to keep

1) Ntambwe - A lot of potential and 3 more years

2) Hardy - Dribble penetration was one of the best in the MWC - Has two more years

3) JTT - Raw, but has 3 more years & could be solid PF in time

4) Hamilton - Could be a good solid SG and 3 more years 

5) Diong - Center with potential & 2 more years

6) Juiston - One year left but his rebounding is a need 

The rest can probably leave and be replaced fairly easily - But if the new guy can add some quality bodies to the 6 listed above i'd be happy and think it's a roster that could finish top 3 in the MWC 

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Anyone could see MM was in the process of a rebuild and wasn't given the time to see if was going to work or now.........now if the UNLV roster is left bare by transfers, the new guy will be right where menzies was coming in, with few players and desperate to get enough bodies..........it's a rest to the end of Dave Rice for UNLV 

The rebuild wasn't the problem.  What he was building is what concerned DRF.  

Barack Obama

Just now, Aslowhiteguy said:

The rebuild wasn't the problem.  What he was building is what concerned DRF.  

Not sure what more Menzies could have done :shrug: under the current circumstances

For one thing he's Menzies, and he's probably going to have a limit to top rated recruits until or if he's got UNLV winning at a better clip........the better the program gets the better chance of better recruits....and that was going to take more than 2 legit seasons......Not sure there's many coaches on the MWC, G5 level who would have turned UNLV around any quicker - then there's the reality of sustaining that winning..........only time would have told what menzies ceiling was at UNLV

Now we will get a new coach and I would assume he's going to be under similar time constraints that were placed on Menzies - I.e win quickly or get out of the way - if the past is any indication, the new guy won't have 5 seasons to prove himself