Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Honestly, not sure if I’m gonna watch anymore.  The program is such a shitshow.  I told everyone that firing Menzies was gonna be a disaster, but almost none of you listened.

All DRF did was to trade one disaster for a more manageable disaster.

She knew Marvin was not the answer. She knew she had to make a move sooner or later.

None of the Thad Matta shit was her fault and she is wise to not even address the chatter. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Honestly, not sure if I’m gonna watch anymore.  The program is such a shitshow.  I told everyone that firing Menzies was gonna be a disaster, but almost none of you listened.

You can't spell "prophet" without "ph."  

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

I have never been more apathetic towards this program. And I grew up one of those psycho die-hards who punched walls when we lost. 

The past 7-8 years have been so brutal. There was a nice stretch of about 6 years prior to that, with Kruger, and then you have to go all the way back to Tark before things resemble fun again.

I truly think the university may be on some sort of coaches' blacklist. UNLV just burns coaches in the most epic ways and I have to think coaches see that and talk amongst themselves and collectively decide, " F that."

The school forced out our own living legend, making a media circus of the process. Then we give some short term shots to a bunch of guys in the 90s. Then we find a solid one in Kruger who we let walk without so much as whimpwr of a counter offer. Then we fire a former Rebel mid-season and embarrass him. Then we go amateur hour on our next search, get played, miss out on our primaries and settle for Marv, who we then fired before he could even see his first real class (starting last year) turn to upperclassmen.

Gets real hard to continually cheer for a university and program more hell-bent on cannabalizing itself than using its built-in advantages to create sustained success.

But good luck with the search DRF.

6 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

You mean Steve Fisher before he started winning? Sure. 

Right? But look at the arc from Y3 to Y6. That was enough for a lot of Aztecs to call for replacing him, which means there were at least a few boosters who felt the same way. Fortunately, our AD had the spine and the wherewithal to keep them at arm's length and out of the process.

WRT Marv's record, I maintain that the Y2Y variability in OOC scheduling makes it a poor metric to measure progress. Conference schedules, on the other hand, remain (relatively) stable and provide a more accurate measuring stick. Marv's record, in this regard, showed a similar track: +3-4 game differential in conference Y2Y.

And again, he only really had two full years to recruit. 

I know the ship has sailed, but those who assail his record either don't understand metrics, or context, or are talking, walking examples of the power of self-delusion. You were, little by little, becoming more competitive.

Maybe if DRF had a spine, she similarly could have stood up to the boosters and demanded one more year. This would have given them the time to fully exploit all possible replacements through back channels without having to further reduce the probability of a successful outcome by self-imposing these ridiculous time constraints you now find yourselves bound by.

I know some of the Kool-Aid Crew will fire back saying the you couldn't afford to wait another year, the lower bowl blah blah blah, but ffs, look what's happening now? Those claiming you didn't have another year to wait and see are watching die hard Rebels turn their back on this shitshow now.

And howTF is that supposed to help your program? :blink: 

It is said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing while expecting different results. And I'm starting to think that as an institution, UNLV is institutionally insane.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I think that at this point, if the rumors are true, that you need to bring in Mike Miller and go for the talent. Maybe you keep some of your team and get others in that can play, and see how he does. Could it be much worse? Even if he’s only here for a few years that might be enough to give the program at least a little attention. 

If fan base excitement and getting more people to the games is any kind of factor for DRF...........then Miller might make the most impact from that standpoint, because every small school coach named that might move up seems to be hitting zero on the fan-o-meter for next season.

Even if Miller bombs at least he might sell tickets and bring in recruits which is something an up & comer coach might not be able to do.

Problem with UNLV is that fans won't accept a 'building process" and they want instant gratification & success..........Menzies was on the build program and he got kicked to the curb, so hiring whoever from South Dakota who's most likely also going to build (basically because he will inherit 5 low level players & probably won't be recruiting 4 & stars guys ) so his only option will be to rebuild unless one of these small school coaches is suddenly going to rise up and get in with the top 150 recruits suddenly and if DRF hold this new guy to Menzies standards he's got 3 years to get UNLV to the NCAA's or at least NIT 

Honestly don't see any other option to excite the fan base than to try Miller or some other whiz bang miracle worker with ties to serious recruits.

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I think that at this point, if the rumors are true, that you need to bring in Mike Miller and go for the talent. Maybe you keep some of your team and get others in that can play, and see how he does. Could it be much worse? Even if he’s only here for a few years that might be enough to give the program at least a little attention. 

I heard Mike Miller never got his degree. If true, DRF can't hire him even if she wants to.  No reason to even interview the guy. 

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If fan base excitement and getting more people to the games is any kind of factor for DRF...........then Miller might make the most impact from that standpoint, because every small school coach named that might move up seems to be hitting zero on the fan-o-meter for next season.

Even if Miller bombs at least he might sell tickets and bring in recruits which is something an up & comer coach might not be able to do.

Problem with UNLV is that fans won't accept a 'building process" and they want instant gratification & success..........Menzies was on the build program and he got kicked to the curb, so hiring whoever from South Dakota who's most likely also going to build (basically because he will inherit 5 low level players & probably won't be recruiting 4 & stars guys ) so his only option will be to rebuild unless one of these small school coaches is suddenly going to rise up and get in with the top 150 recruits suddenly and if DRF hold this new guy to Menzies standards he's got 3 years to get UNLV to the NCAA's or at least NIT 

Honestly don't see any other option to excite the fan base than to try Miller or some other whiz bang miracle worker with ties to serious recruits.

No degree.  He cannot be a HC at a NV school. 

Barack Obama

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

#HIREBRETTGUNNING

Actually if DRF wants to roll the dice, he might be a good option...........he probably won't excite anyone so expectations would be fairly ho-hum..........then if he ends up being a messiah DRF looks like a miracle worker, and if he has to rebuild for 3+ years he and DRF can be kicked to the curb 

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I think he sits a year and plays golf on UCLA's dime. 

It really is one of the perks of the career... build a winning resume, wait to get shitcanned, and collect enough coin for green fees and that new vacation home.

ezgif-2-919bbce5ba43.gif

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, Wyobraska said:

This was just too funny to me.  You are correct sir.  Prophet=profit.  In all religions, just not LDS.  

tenor.gif