Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

On 3/22/2019 at 1:49 AM, 4UNLV said:

But the fact that we actually have one puts us into a different club with about 20 other schools over the last 50 years, or whatever that number is. Not many schools have the opportunity to try to repeat that accomplishment, and regardless of whether UNLV will ever be able to win another, they belong to that club. She HAS to try to aspire to that, especially in this city. she was also somewhat justifying the firing of Menzies because she knew he was not going to be able to get us there, and knew that's what our fans expect. we aren't looking to win the MW, we want another frickin title, regardless of how unrealistic it might be, lol.

I have no doubt that there is still a faction around that wants Reggie, I'm not sure how successful they'll be. When Kruger left, Reggie was my choice, who knows how it would have turned out. Maybe the same as it did with Rice, or as it did at Northridge, I dont know, lol.

I think there's one for Stacey Augmon, as well.

I'm haring that Joe Callero is available and would bring immediate success to UNLV! The Cal Poly Mustangs really had it good with him :)

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

NBA didn't have fear of NCAA issues :thumbsup:

But having your friend shot up can change things in a hurry.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362067-jerry-tarkanian-almost-coached-the-1980s-lakers-dynasty

I cannot fathom what Tark would have done with Kareem, Magic and the Lakers

10 hours ago, Ernie Baer said:

Possible, these situations are fluid, but I think it drags on longer than that.  Particularly with a search firm involved.

I see several options if such parties were interested, yet the longer the process moves along a certain path, the more of those options will dry up.

3 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

But having your friend shot up can change things in a hurry.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2362067-jerry-tarkanian-almost-coached-the-1980s-lakers-dynasty

I cannot fathom what Tark would have done with Kareem, Magic and the Lakers

Jerry had his shot with the Spurs.......got canned after 20 games (9-11 record ) - wasn't a good experiment

Not that Tark with the Lakers wouldn't have worked 

McCombs recalls 'mistake’ of hiring Tarkanian  https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/McCombs-recalls-mistake-of-hiring-Tarkanian-6076214.php

San Antonio billionaire and Spurs founding father B.J. “Red” McCombs made a lot of smart decisions during his long association with the city’s lone big league sports franchise.

But in the wake of the death of Jerry Tarkanian, he focused Wednesday on one he got wrong 23 years ago as the team’s chairman.

“I made a mistake,” McCombs said of hiring Tarkanian to coach the Spurs before the start of the 1992-93 season. “(Former Spurs general manager) Bob Bass was right. He begged me not to do it.”

Tarkanian was a legend at UNLV, but he appeared lost as coach of the Spurs.

Tarkanian, who coached the Runnin’ Rebels to four Final Fours and a national title in 1990, died Wednesday after battling health issues for years. He was 84.

Tarkanian, who had a long-running feud with the NCAA that stemmed from recruiting violations, went 509-105 in 19 seasons with UNLV. He resigned under pressure after the 1991-92 season and joined the Spurs.

“I had never met the guy, but I started getting calls from him after Larry Brown left, and he wore me out on the phone,” McCombs said. “He called me three or four times a day, saying, 'Just let me have that job. I want to prove I can do the NBA.’

“When Bob Bass heard about it, he told me, 'You can’t take that guy. He doesn’t know anything about the NBA.’”

The warning proved prophetic.

“He was in over his head,” said Jay Howard, former Spurs radio voice.

That was apparent in Tarkanian’s first exhibition game, a loss to the Knicks in Albany, New York. An hour or so before tipoff, Tarkanian tried to keep the media out of the Spurs’ locker room in violation of NBA rules.

“The New York media went nuts,” Howard said.

Tarkanian finally relented after Howard told him the NBA allowed reporters to interview players before games.

During the game, Tarkanian stunningly revealed he was unaware of how a coach called for a 20-second timeout.

“He turned to (a reporter) and asked how to do it,” Howard said.

Twenty games into the season, McCombs fired Tarkanian after the Spurs started 9-11.

At the time of his dismissal, Tarkanian was embroiled in a dispute with management over personnel, repeatedly publicly criticizing the Spurs for failing to acquire a point guard.

The Spurs had cut loose Rod Strickland before the season, leaving shooting guards Vinny Del Negro and Lloyd Daniels to run the offense. Tarkanian had little regard at the time for Avery Johnson, who would help lead the Spurs to their first NBA title in 1999.

Still, McCombs said he had no desire to fire Tarkanian.

“I hadn’t even thought of it,” McCombs said. “But the day after a loss at Houston he said, 'I got to see you.’ That’s when he started unloading on me, saying, 'You took advantage of me. You ruined my reputation. You told me this team was a .600 or a .650 team, but it isn’t even a .500 team and it doesn’t have a chance.’ Then he dug the hole deeper and said, 'You knew it all the time.’

“That’s when it dawned on me he believed this.”

McCombs, 87, said he left the room and called John Lucas, who agreed to coach the team.

“I went back in and told him, 'Your expectations for this team are so different than mine. I appreciate your honesty and understand how you feel. You are no longer with the Spurs.’ He went from being upset to being fired all in about 20 minutes. He really hadn’t had enough time, but he just convinced me he didn’t believe this team could do anything.

“There was no sense in me trying to babysit him.”

Under Lucas, and with Johnson logging 49 starts, the Spurs finished 49-33 and second in their division. After defeating Portland in the first round of the playoffs, they lost to Phoenix in six games in the Western Conference semifinals.

Months after his firing, Tarkanian wrote Johnson a letter of apology.

“He congratulated me on the season, and he said he wished he had known I could play,” Johnson told the San Antonio Express-News in 1993. “He admitted he didn’t know much about the NBA.”

Several times during the news conference to introduce Tarkanian as coach, McCombs referred to him as “Tarkington.”

“It was screwed up coming in and it was screwed up going out,” McCombs said.

All these folks pushing for Mike Miller. So senseless. foolhardy even. The dude has coached as an assistant one year. 0 head coaching experience. You really believe that just because he can bring in five star recruits it means anything? We have walked this road before. But perhaps this is what we deserve. It's every bit following the same script as the last go around. Start out with all the hot names and one by one each viable option is scooped up until we're left with the coaching options that no one else wanted.. 

1 minute ago, Willden4UNLV said:

All these folks pushing for Mike Miller. So senseless. foolhardy even. The dude has coached as an assistant one year. 0 head coaching experience. You really believe that just because he can bring in five star recruits it means anything? We have walked this road before. But perhaps this is what we deserve. It's every bit following the same script as the last go around. Start out with all the hot names and one by one each viable option is scooped up until we're left with the coaching options that no one else wanted.. 

C'mon all we need is the next great hire - This guy has been spot on the entire time - Just wait good things are coming :cheer: Think this guy posts here ;)

1 minute ago, rebelcuff said:

I hope the Wojo rumors are true and he is in Vegas interviewing. I think he would do well. They treat him like crap in Milwaukee and fans want him gone.    

He would be a great hire. Digitalturf hates him.

15 minutes ago, Willden4UNLV said:

They certainly feel he would be an upgrade over a coach that have only two losing seasons as a head coach 👽 

7 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

I hope the Wojo rumors are true and he is in Vegas interviewing. I think he would do well. They treat him like crap in Milwaukee and fans want him gone.    

Serious question - why would a Big East coach who's probably already making more than you can afford want to come coach a has-been in the MWC? 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Serious question - why would a Big East coach who's probably already making more than you can afford want to come coach a has-been in the MWC? 

It's amazing how thoroughly and utterly owned you are.

5 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

He’s a dookie though.

56 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Ok then :pitchforks:

Lol fans can be caught up in the moment as well. They think a coach that never coached before as a head coach will “certainly” do better than a coach that has won his conference tournament five times 👀 I dunno maybe so let’s give him 3 years to see hahaha

2 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

It's amazing how thoroughly and utterly owned you are.

It's amazing how f*cking clicnically delusional half of you are. Great answer to a legitimate question dipshit. :blink: 

#SoUNLV

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg