Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

5 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Why do I get the feeling that George Karl was a "sure thing" like Matta? 

You say "lazy hire," but the time constraints were IMO more of a driving force behind the hire than an alleged half-ass attempt by TKM to fill the vacancy. I'm guessing they were scrambling pretty hard to close Cronin and/or Beard.

What a contradiction and how does that differ from what I’m saying? Lol

4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Why do I get the feeling that George Karl was a "sure thing" like Matta? 

You say "lazy hire," but the time constraints were IMO more of a driving force behind the hire than an alleged half-ass attempt by TKM to fill the vacancy. I'm guessing they were scrambling pretty hard to close Cronin and/or Beard.

How many big time coaches have almost come to UNLV?  I lost count a few years ago. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

Because GTown has been playing easy schedules. There are actually rumblings at GTown they want them to schedule tougher because they feel that is what is keeping them from doing anything.

Chris Mullin, was on the hot seat at St. John's going into this season which is his first winning season in 4 years at the helm of St. John's.

I just used them as examples that all former players do not flop. Also Penny at this point.

Ex players can work, but hiring a uf player is more risky than any because no matter whats going on at UNLV, Miller will bolt to uf at the first chance.

3 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I just used them as examples that all former players do not flop. Also Penny at this point. 

Ex players can work, but hiring a uf player is more risky than any because no matter whats going on at UNLV, Miller will bolt to uf at the first chance. 

Hire Stacey Augmon then. :hookah:

This is a risk you run with all coaches, not just former player coaches. And probably 90% of coaches are former players anyway (even Tark!).

I guarantee you any coach we will hire will leave for a better job at some point. The two possible outcomes is he performs good enough to land a better job or he gets fired. That's the reality.

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Who are you going to get that won't bolt for a good P5 gig?

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
14 minutes ago, qwelish said:

You think Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin are a pattern that UNLV should follow?

PATRICK EWING

Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Georgetown Hoyas (Big East Conference) (2017–present)
2017–18 Georgetown 15–15 5–13 8th  
2018–19 Georgetown 19–14 9–9 T–3rd NIT First Round
Georgetown: 34–29 (.540) 14–22 (.389)  
Total: 34–29 (.540)  

CHRIS MULLIN

Head coaching record[edit]

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
St. John's Red Storm (Big East Conference) (2015–present)
2015–16 St. John's 8–24 1–17 10th  
2016–17 St. John's 14–19 7–11 8th  
2017–18 St. John's 16–17 4–14 T–9th  
2018–19 St. John's 21–13 8–10 7th NCAA Division I First Four
St. John's: 59–73 (.447) 20–52 (.278)  
Total: 59–73 (.447)  

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, rebelcuff said:

We haven't heard from RebelRobert either.

I assume that UNLV hired @RebelRobert on as a consultant for the coaching hire, and so he can't talk right now.

42 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I dont trust Miller because as soon as uf opens up he is as good as gone. There is no debate on this. He will bolt.

I don't get this thinking...

You don't want to hire a guy that might want to leave later because he'll do such a good job he'll be poached by another school for lots of money.

If Miller is doing so damn good that Florida wants him...UNLV will be just fine.

I wish that was our +++++ing problem right now. Coaches being poached.

Not no player rosters and pressing reset every 3 seasons.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Think about this. Muss walked up to Danyelle Sargent, got on a little step stool, looked her in the eye and asked her out on a date...and then got her to marry him. Hire this man!

tipping derek jeter GIF 

48 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

I don't get this thinking...

You don't want to hire a guy that might want to leave later because he'll do such a good job he'll be poached by another school for lots of money.

If Miller is doing so damn good that Florida wants him...UNLV will be just fine.

I wish that was our +++++ing problem right now. Coaches being poached.

Not no player rosters and pressing reset every 3 seasons.

I don't get why anyone would think any other way.  If you have a coach that everyone wants I would think you just had one hell of a good season.

Just now, toonkee said:

Think about this. Muss walked up to Danyelle Sargent, got on a little step stool, looked her in the eye and asked her out on a date...and then got her to marry him. Hire this man!

tipping derek jeter GIF 

You can't afford him.  Perhaps you'd have a shot at one of his assistants, but they'll most likely have better options as well. 

Besides, no coach with a lick of sense would touch that program right now.

Marvin and Rice would both be better off today if they had the sense to just say "no."  

Barack Obama

40 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

You can't afford him.  Perhaps you'd have a shot at one of his assistants, but they'll most likely have better options as well. 

Besides, no coach with a lick of sense would touch that program right now.

Marvin and Rice would both be better off today if they had the sense to just say "no."  

Not sure about that..but I am sure you guys certainly cannot afford him and that's the problem here isn't it. Time bomb is a ticking, my friend. Enjoy what could be your last game in the Muss era today.  Go Gators!