Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

50 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

That’s why I’d rather go with Mike Miller. He’d bring in IMPACT players right away and none of this “rebuilding for 5 years” BS. That was the problem under Menzies, there was ZERO energy and excitement. Wasted so many roster spots and schollies on kids that didn’t deserve it. Meanwhile we rolled with two walkons as regulars on the floor. 

I would too, if I were a Rebel fan.  Do you think DRF will roll the dice on an assistant? 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Guest #1Stunner
36 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

If we hire some career mid-major HC from back East it would be a f*cking disaster. Miller makes sense in Vegas. He's got the contacts, he's got the rings, and he's got the personality. He can utilize the NBA Summer League and his NBA connections to sell the top recruits in the country on UNLV. Hell, he can even get his buddy Lebron to make a few recruiting calls for him. 

UNLV has played it safe for too long, they need to make a risky move if they ever want a shot at being relevant in this city again. "Safe hires" like Rhoades, Wojo, Moser, Price, etc is just going to bore the fans and this program to death.

Take a step back, and think about this....

Miller has zero coaching experience.

His value as a former NBA player is overstated.  Portland hired former NBA player, Terry Porter, and he's sucked.  Pacific hired former NBA player, Damon Stoudemire, and he's been mediocre.

Meanwhile, the schools that have hired real coaches have improved.   Look at USU's coach as an example.

UNLV needs to hire a guy that has proven himself.

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Let me help set the scene for you... It was late Aprill. Cronin and Beard left you hangin' at the midnight hour and you were at the end of recruiting season without a living soul to captain the ship. Your choices at that point were basically Marv Menzies or Marv Albert. 

UNLV could have, and should have hired Theus.

I'm convinced that Theus would work his ass off to improve UNLV.  He is STILL the best hire.

2 minutes ago, noloveforrebels said:

looks like all the  sources were wrong about matta--i do believe my source that it was a done deal but once mm was fired, for some reason matta backed out

if not matta then im not to thrilled about anyone--buzz is my only buzz--new coach will be an interesting pick

Unless your source is DRF, you don't have a source.  And neither does anyone else on this board.  When have vegas guys with "sources" ever been right?

Barack Obama

18 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

They shouldn’t have hired Menzies to begin with, they rejected Menzies three times before panic set in and went ahead and hired him. There wasn’t any long term thought to that hire, just a supremely lazy hire. 

UNLV caused such a circus that he was all they could get as far as somebody with head coaching experience goes.

Just now, noloveforrebels said:

looks like all the  sources were wrong about matta--i do believe my source that it was a done deal but once mm was fired, for some reason matta backed out

if not matta then im not to thrilled about anyone--buzz is my only buzz--new coach will be an interesting pick

Matta probably played UNLV & the boosters - he has to legitimately seek employment..........so take calls from UNLV boosters who think the UNLV job is right there with Kansas...........talk to them, talk $$, talk perks, talk everything..........make sure it gets out in the public so that media & "insiders" pick it up and make it hughley public.............that way Ohio St knows your looking around at jobs and the payments keep coming even though Matta was probably NEVER close to coming to UNLV.............and between DRF & the boosters they think they have a deal, and fire Menzies...........then are shocked to find that Matta was playing them all for the fools they are 

End result:

1) Thad matta meets Ohio State's termination agreement and continues to get paid :str8pimp:

2) UNLV gets clowned into firing Menzies on a 'come bet" :cheer:

3) UNlV, DRF & boosters now standing around wondering WTF happened :shrug:

4) DRF now racing around to find anyone that might be close to meeting the EXPECTATION SHE MADE PUBLIC in the presser on Menzies firing :frustrated:

5) Boosters are scattered in 5 different directions to try and cajole some other sucker to take their money :captain:

6) UNLV search continues while rumors fly and becomes subject of public ridicule :facepalm:

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Matta probably played UNLV & the boosters - he has to legitimately seek employment..........so take calls from UNLV boosters who think the UNLV job is right there with Kansas...........talk to them, talk $$, talk perks, talk everything..........make sure it gets out in the public so that media & "insiders" pick it up and make it hughley public.............that way Ohio St knows your looking around at jobs and the payments keep coming even though Matta was probably NEVER close to coming to UNLV.............and between DRF & the boosters they think they have a deal, and fire Menzies...........then are shocked to find that Matta was playing them all for the fools they are 

End result:

1) Thad matta meets Ohio State's termination agreement and continues to get paid :str8pimp:

4) DRF now racing around to find anyone that might be close to meeting the EXPECTATION SHE MADE PUBLIC in the presser on Menzies firing :frustrated:

5) Boosters are scattered in 5 different directions to try and cajole some other sucker to take their money :captain:

6) UNLV search continues while rumors fly and becomes subject of public ridicule :facepalm:

This is spot on.  We also need someone to make a picture narration of this narration just like three years ago.

2 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Let me help set the scene for you... It was late Aprill. Cronin and Beard left you hangin' at the midnight hour and you were at the end of recruiting season without a living soul to captain the ship. Your choices at that point were basically Marv Menzies or Marv Albert. 

As I said, Marv was passed over several times and even with the Beard fiasco. There were still plenty of interest in the UNLV job. George Karl was interested, had a staff ready to go. Just needed to square away some business in Sacramento. But TKM was in a hurry and went with the guy that said yes first. 

Again, absolutely lazy hire. 

7 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Unless your source is DRF, you don't have a source.  And neither does anyone else on this board.  When have vegas guys with "sources" ever been right?

I have a source down in Vegas............but he has heard absolutely nothing about a new coach. No names no nothing. Not even Matta.

He said its been scary silent

3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

End result:

LaPC.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

4 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

End result:

It's just UNLV doing business as usual. 

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

As I said, Marv was passed over several times and even with the Beard fiasco. There were still plenty of interest in the UNLV job. George Karl was interested, had a staff ready to go. Just needed to square away some business in Sacramento. But TKM was in a hurry and went with the guy that said yes first. 

Again, absolutely lazy hire. 

Why do I get the feeling that George Karl was a "sure thing" like Matta? 

You say "lazy hire," but the time constraints were IMO more of a driving force behind the hire than an alleged half-ass attempt by TKM to fill the vacancy. I'm guessing they were scrambling pretty hard to close Cronin and/or Beard.

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Take a step back, and think about this....

Miller has zero coaching experience.

His value as a former NBA player is overstated.  Portland hired former NBA player, Terry Porter, and he's sucked.  Pacific hired former NBA player, Damon Stoudemire, and he's been mediocre.

Meanwhile, the schools that have hired real coaches have improved.   Look at USU's coach as an example.

UNLV needs to hire a guy that has proven himself.

Theres also Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin. Both have done well.

I dont trust Miller because as soon as uf opens up he is as good as gone. There is no debate on this. He will bolt.

18 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I would too, if I were a Rebel fan.  Do you think DRF will roll the dice on an assistant? 

Yes, especially if Nike/Lebron is pushing that and Miller comes with a top notch staff. 

Just now, qwelish said:

I dont trust Miller because as soon as uf opens up he is as good as gone. There is no debate on this. He will bolt.

But isn't that the curse of most mid-majors? The truth is, with rare exception, we will be stepping stones for good HC hires. This can be somewhat mitigated by including freakin' insane buyout clauses, but it is our reality.

Coaches like Fish are the exception, not the rule. 

Just now, qwelish said:

That is a risk you're going to have to take.  DRF has to find a good up and comer.  Unless something falls right into her lap, what else can she do?  

Barack Obama

Just now, qwelish said:

Because GTown has been playing easy schedules. There are actually rumblings at GTown they want them to schedule tougher because they feel that is what is keeping them from doing anything.

Chris Mullin, was on the hot seat at St. John's going into this season which is his first winning season in 4 years at the helm of St. John's.