Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

Murray States Matt McMahon 

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Murray State (OVC) (2015–present)
2015–16 Murray State 17–14 10–6 T–1st (West)  
2016–17 Murray State 16–17 8–8 3rd (West)  
2017–18 Murray State 26–6 16–2 1st NCAA First Round
2018–19 Murray State 27–4 16–2 T–1st  
Murray State Racers: 86–41 (.677) 50–18 (.735)  
Total: 86–41 (.677)

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

Murray States Matt McMahon 

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Murray State (OVC) (2015–present)
2015–16 Murray State 17–14 10–6 T–1st (West)  
2016–17 Murray State 16–17 8–8 3rd (West)  
2017–18 Murray State 26–6 16–2 1st NCAA First Round
2018–19 Murray State 27–4 16–2 T–1st  
Murray State Racers: 86–41 (.677) 50–18 (.735)  
Total: 86–41 (.677)

Look at the team he took over..... Prohm has Murry State in the top 25 as well...

D909770C-4739-45E7-97BC-7F7365DDDFF4.png

Man I hope UNLV doesn’t drop the ball with this. A few things.

When you make a calculated decision like this there’s many variables at play that could effect the projected results. UNLV mentioned of calming the waters. Yes the waters are real calm when you have remnants of the 12 ranked 2017 basketball class left on your roster for your next coach. What’s not calm is if players like Shakur Juiston or Amauri Hardy leave as well. See Jtombwe(spelling***) is a plus, an un ranked prospect now people are saying he may one day get paid to play (funny that these same kats said Menzies can’t recruit). You also lose a 4  and 3 star gaurd prospects and both your guards graduated? Look obviously it’s looking worse for whom ever is stepping into this cess pool. Most likely whom ever hired is not outing casual fans in the arena unless it’s like Kobe Bryant or someone with a bright star which brings me to me next point.

You know attendence is down around the whole country; not only that but the Rebels is not the only team in town. Now you are competing with soccer teams, nhl, wnba. The attendence has been going down since UNLV was nationally ranked in basketball. You have a delusional fan base with visions of grandeur. What’s going to happen when you realize the best way to make money is inviting power teams or regional teams with the fan base. I doubt they do this next year as a lot of the pieces of the old team is leaving so what are you left to be competitive with? If they bring in these power schools and Juiston leaves or Hardy, more specifically Hardy we as fans could be looking at another losing season. I think Menzies was able to scrap together a winning out of conference record his first year but I’m not sure. If they schedule cup cakes the Mack will still be empty so what would be the excuse then?

You see these variables that are not dependent on boosters or ads is what will cause the plan to change if everyone leaves the team which I doubt but if they do we are looking at another losing season that UNLV fans may put up with just because they “like” the individual. No logic in that. It’s looking like time to chill and see. But for right now it’s looking kinda like the plan is going worse each day!

—————-

You always have to ask what’s the motivation?!?!

These schools stuck through their coaches, it could be their charisma it could be relations but as you can see numbers never tell the true story look at Hurley over at ASU for example. That’s sticking through. What if you knew you had something but you wanted something different no matter what you had to sacrifice to get it even if that something different may materialize to something less??? 

C74A17E5-2834-43DC-8920-569B1606D437.png

UNLV better hope they don’t end up like Stanford(big bank school tuition all that) Fired their coach, went to the AAC and now his team is in the tournament with African as their main attraction. Lol Stanford left wit a super out of shape guy from UAB who had a few good runs ... lmao

11 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Honestly I'd go after DeCuire if that's a real consideration. Dude can +++++ing coach. The fact that he has Montana in the tourney despite starting 5 guards b/c Akoh (the big man) is injured is one hell of a coaching job. He's not making anything either up there, so he'd come cheap. That'd honestly be a great hire. 

I would think Washington State would have DeCuire high on their list.

37 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Gotta hand it to DRF, she's keeping her mouth shut, lol.

As for Hardy, I sure his parents, who live here, are probably telling him to wait and see who the new coach is.

After the disaster of the last coaching search I bet. When Nevada was searching for their coach it was all confidential until they announced the hiring of Musselman.

Per Richard Isaacs. Yes, another recruit’s dad. (And sounds like he wants Miller, btw)

The one thing that I can unequivocally say to be true The AD at UNLV has her go to folks and is not listening to anybody close to the lifeblood of any program, meaning players!

2 hours ago, TGIFaanes said:

After the disaster of the last coaching search I bet. When Nevada was searching for their coach it was all confidential until they announced the hiring of Musselman.

You don’t say! 

Per Zimmerman. Just showing what’s out there. 

87534578 reason to hire

@MikeMiller_13

for UNLV HC - HE. CAN. COACH. I've been in the gym w/him. He speaks the athlete language. In under an hour he made slight adjustments to a shot that was off. % made skyrocketed. Also taught 11 yr old how to shoot from NBA 3pt. Consistently.

If there’s not an announcement today I don’t think we will see an announcement until Monday at least.  I don’t think they will announce anything when the tournament starts.  That news would get buried once the games start and I don’t think UNLV wants that. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

If there’s not an announcement today I don’t think we will see an announcement until Monday at least.  I don’t think they will announce anything when the tournament starts.  That news would get buried once the games start and I don’t think UNLV wants that. 

They probably would want that if they hire Pirter ++++++ing Moser!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

3 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Expect an announcement by Sunday night, with a Presser on Monday/Tuesday. 

If there’s no news by Monday, I’ll start to wonder what the holdup is. 

I could see a Sunday announcement after the games are over with a Monday press conference. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

I'm not going to hate on a Mike Miller choice if Matta is out. He'll bring kids in quick and that might be splashy enough to get interest back short term. We'll have to see if the winning follows but DRF wants to change course away from the apathy and this would do it quicker than some guy like Porter Moser. Risky long term choice though.

Always liked Ryan Miller as well. Go back and see some of my posts from that era and you'll see I said that guy just looks like a head coach. I got to talk with him and Stacey at the finals of the MW tournament they year Rice got canned. I was just some dude in a Rebel t-shirt that walked up to them on the concourse but I felt like he would have talked to me as long as I wanted. Maybe that's a bad thing, lol.  Anyway, he's an engaging guy that listens to you and looks you in the eye.  I can see why he recruits well.  Also, side note from that moment, Stacey Augmon's hands are large af.  You know when you shake a child's hand?  That's what it must have felt like when Stacey shook mine, lol.