Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

7 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Welp, pretty much what I feared from the get go at this point. 

Dave Rice should have been fired a year earlier, or a year later.

Looks like UNLV should have gone interim for a year instead of hiring Menzies.

And now, looks like the actual best choice was to stick with Menzies.

DRF can still pull this out with a very solid hire, but tick, tick, tick, tick............

1 minute ago, thatsmymammy said:

Hope she does, because this looks like a giant shit show. Should have never let MM go without a solid candidate. 

So far we've got real nothing in the way of BIG NAMES that warrant anywhere close to $2.8M per.............and the current roster is potentially thinning 

Not that things can't change for the hoped for in a short time........but it's pretty much down to wishing, hoping and finger crossing for UNLV fans at the moment 

Maybe it is Matta out of the blue later this week, he comes in gets some current guys to stay, cuts some loose and gets to recruiting 

9 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Welp, pretty much what I feared from the get go at this point. 

Dave Rice should have been fired a year earlier, or a year later.

Looks like UNLV should have gone interim for a year instead of hiring Menzies.

And now, looks like the actual best choice was to stick with Menzies.

DRF can still pull this out with a very solid hire, but tick, tick, tick, tick............

I think everyone needs to calm down, there’s so much hysteria and panic when there’s no need to be. No one of note has been hired yet. 

28 minutes ago, wolfpack1 said:

I doubt it. He just signed a contract extension last year through 2025-2026 season, that made him the highest paid coach in MVC which people speculate is at least $1 million because the coach at Northern Iowa make $900,000 a year. Plus they broke ground on a new $18 million training facilty, with raises for assistant coaches and much more money for recruiting. Plus I believe him and his wife bought a $2.5 million dollar home back there.

Plus imagine what his buyout would be

2 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I think everyone needs to calm down, there’s so much hysteria and panic when there’s no need to be. No one of note has been hired yet. 

tick, tick, tick, tick................ 

She better not f'n botch this!

If this is any indicator.......an up & comer might be her preferred choice :shrug:    Which still makes me wonder why she went as far to say: "The UNLV HC would be a known person standing along side John Gruden" 

Just now, qwelish said:

tick, tick, tick, tick................ 

She better not f'n botch this!

The name of the game isn’t to be the first one to hire a coach. 

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

If this is any indicator.......an up & comer might be her preferred choice :shrug:    Which still makes me wonder why she went as far to say: "The UNLV HC would be a known person standing along side John Gruden" 

^ Just more evidence that Anderson doesn’t have a clue, 

7 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

No shit. As a disinterested third party, it is hilarious to watch "As the World Turns" Las Vegas style but come on, how long does a normal hiring process take?

I'm pretty sure the over under is probably a week to 10 days. How many other vacancies have already been filled?

And where did the $2.8 million number come from?

DRF hires per the RJ artcicle

Reed-Francois’ hires

Men’s basketball

Coach: Cuonzo Martin

Previous school: Missouri State

Next school: Tennessee

Year: 2011

Football

Coach: Justin Fuente

Previous school: Memphis

Next school: Virginia Tech

Year: 2015

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

No shit. As a disinterested third party, it is hilarious to watch "As the World Turns" Las Vegas style but come on, how long does a normal hiring process take?

I'm pretty sure the over under is probably a week to 10 days. How many other vacancies have already been filled?

Two basketball vacancies have been filled so far, with one being an interim coach who they took the tag off of, out of all the firings. I think there are still 10 job openings at this point with the big one being UCLA

3 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I think it came from Joe Arrigo originally? 

The only other name besides the aforementioned that remotely interest me is Nate Oats. If he is off the table, go for Alford, imo. He wins regardless of his personality. And one overlooked aspect of a guy like Alford is the unlikeliness of him being poached after  a second relatively unsuccessful stint at a power 5 school.

1 minute ago, renoskier said:

Right, I’ve already noted that previous UNLV hires from Spoon to Rice were a few days to 10. Obviously the last search took awhile but when the administration lost beard, they panicked and quickly hired Menzies. 

Sneaking around the internet looking at blogs and articles, it appears that UCLA's #1 target right now is current Virginia coach Tony Bennett which is why there hasn't been much news from the UCLA front. However it also appears that in some circles Thad Matta's name has been brought up for UCLA's job. 

3 minutes ago, Willden4UNLV said:

The only other name besides the aforementioned that remotely interest me is Nate Oats. If he is off the table, go for Alford, imo. He wins regardless of his personality. And one overlooked aspect of a guy like Alford is the unlikeliness of him being poached after  a second relatively unsuccessful stint at a power 5 school.

Alford would do well. If you are going to take a up and comer might as well take Kenny Payne.

Just now, wolfpack1 said:

Sneaking around the internet looking at blogs and articles, it appears that UCLA's #1 target right now is current Virginia coach Tony Bennett which is why there hasn't been much news from the UCLA front. However it also appears that in some circles Thad Matta's name has been brought up for UCLA's job. 

I don't see why UCLA would be interested in Matta

1 minute ago, wolfpack1 said:

UCLA would have to offer $5 million per year for him to leave.

Buffalo agrees to 5-year extension with Oats

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26265947/buffalo-agrees-5-year-extension-oats

Buffalo coach Nate Oats has agreed to a new five-year contract that keeps him signed with the Bulls through the 2024 season.

Oats is also now the highest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference. He will make $837,000 annually, the school announced