Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

If she hires Porter +++++ing Moser, she has zero chance of getting a P5 gig. I'd rather take my +++++ing chances of the Miller bros than that shit platter. At least then I know they'll have the recruits that will be Genuine Drafted, and give us the chance at the High Life. The +++++ will Porter Moser do? 

It’s crazy when you have fans that 

A. Think they can coach better than a basketball coach that’s either won his conference or won the tournament to represent their conference in the NCAA(5 times the money you are paid to come).

B. Have selective memory, Even in Menzies second year he was able to present a number 12 recruiting class. He had a stellar out of conference record, destroyed UTAH and beat Reno at home. Doubled his conference win total and fans still say they could do a better job lol, third season starts off with a bad loss then two major injuries but finish off with a conference record of 11-7.... UNLV was leading the conference in rebounding and 3 point shooting percentage (if not leading deff top 3)..... and people think they could do a better job ooooookaaay. 

I mean opinions are cool but we have facts for a reason lololol!!!

3 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

If she hires Porter +++++ing Moser, she has zero chance of getting a P5 gig. I'd rather take my +++++ing chances of the Miller bros than that shit platter. At least then I know they'll have the recruits that will be Genuine Drafted, and give us the chance at the High Life. The +++++ will Porter Moser do? 

this is making the Millers look really good right now.

41 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

If that's who we are hiring... WOW.

I doubt it. He just signed a contract extension last year through 2025-2026 season, that made him the highest paid coach in MVC which people speculate is at least $1 million because the coach at Northern Iowa make $900,000 a year. Plus they broke ground on a new $18 million training facilty, with raises for assistant coaches and much more money for recruiting. Plus I believe him and his wife bought a $2.5 million dollar home back there.

Nope I take Porter Moser over the Millers still. He went to the FF just last year and has his team back in the dance again this year. He has energy and talks the role. 

That said, he's probably leveraging. At least thats my guess. Not sure what his deal looks like. 

1 minute ago, qwelish said:

Nope I take Porter Moser over the Millers still. He went to the FF just last year and has his team back in the dance again this year. He has energy and talks the role. 

That said, he's probably leveraging. At least thats my guess. Not sure what his deal looks like. 

Look at his record....garbage.

I thought the fan base was going to meltdown if a week or two went by and MM was not fired.

He was fired the day after the season concluded. 

Now the fan base is probably going to meltdown if no one is named after Thursday has come and gone.

Like seriously melt down.

3 minutes ago, qwelish said:

The NIT

Firstly, I don't see how one random lady's tweet lends any credence to the idea that Porter Moser is the new coach. 

That said, after listening to Adam Hill speak on Cofield and Co. concerning Thad Matta, I have very grave concerns considering our prospects of hiring him. To this point no reputable journalist has even heard that Matta is speaking with UNLV, in fact, Mark Anderson has heard the opposite. Hill conjectured that there is someone or a group of people spreading the Matta message to a broad group of people who are reporting it/tweeting it, etc.. and that narrative makes sense. The stream of information just seems perplexing to me, and it feels ominous at this point. I have to confess I do not believe it is real any more. DRF seems to be conducting a search in earnest. We'll just have to wait and see as those who truly are in the know seem to be tight-lipped at the moment. Hopefully there are better options on the board than Porter Moser or Mike Miller.

NIT this year 

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

Look at his record....garbage.

Ive seen his record. Im ready to get behind a coach who will be the face of the program.

If its not going to be Thad or Pitino, its got to be a face of the program type of figure who will stay put. But also who fits.

MM obviously did not fit. The gripe is that his teams never played over their head, beat better teams, won in the tournament. 

Porter Moser has done those things and he will stay put. 

Its not a name, but im getting behind just about whoever is hired. Whats done is done. No going backwards at this point.

Next season is probably toast unless coach is coming in with a few guys.

I thought the fan base was going to meltdown if a week or two went by and MM was not fired.

Now the fan base is probably going to meltdown if no one is named after Thursday has come and gone.

The Thursday deadline was always wishful thinking and speculation...

Just now, qwelish said:

Ive seen his record. Im ready to get behind a coach who will be the face of the program.

If its not going to be Thad or Pitino, its got to be a face of the program type of figure who will stay put. But also who fits.

MM obviously did not fit. The gripe is that his teams never played over their head, beat better teams, won in the tournament. 

Porter Moser has done those things and he will stay put. 

Its not a name, but im getting behind just about whoever is hired. Whats done is done. No going backwards at this point.

Next season is probably toast unless coach is coming in with a few guys.

Porter Moster is a coach with no recruiting or coaching pedigree of note...his final four run was lightning in a bottle.

Just now, Rebels2k3 said:

Porter Moster is a coach with no recruiting or coaching pedigree of note...his final four run was lightning in a bottle.

They just fired a coach who never caught even a spark in a bottle. So..

Been away from the interwebs today (touring the Nevada National Security Site, formerly Nevada Test Site- They needed my input ;)) and just now catching up on the UNLV doin's of the workday................so perusing the 5 pages that have piled up on this thread and some twitter 

I see 

The Vegas Take is still flailing away with his guesses

The exodus of current players is beginning (not unexpected) 

This guy is still clueless 

TVT says JTT is out the door, no odds to back it up though 

Some are beginning to beg DRF to bring in a name someone around LV might have heard of - Mike Miller in this case

We have a Gottlieb fan chiming in - From Radio to UNLV, admit UNLV hasn't tried that yet 

Porter Moser ?!?!?! Who the hell is he ??? 

TWO voted for Doug Gottlieb !!! Least he's a name some have heard of !

One and done's Zimm's momma has a favorite 

Fatigue setting in for one worn out fan 

The mental home is allowing this guy to tweet in the afternoon hours apparently and he's moved on from Matta to Miles, but at least he's sticking with M names !

One guy gets the basics of the UNLV media, blogger and AD 

UNLV down to sowing Oats ?!?!

Mr FIRE MENZIES AT ALL COSTS now realizing (after his medication kicks in) that there might be no players 

11 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I don't care how long it takes, I just want her to get it right.

Welp, pretty much what I feared from the get go at this point. 

Dave Rice should have been fired a year earlier, or a year later.

Looks like UNLV should have gone interim for a year instead of hiring Menzies.

And now, looks like the actual best choice was to stick with Menzies.

DRF can still pull this out with a very solid hire, but tick, tick, tick, tick............

5 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Welp, pretty much what I feared from the get go at this point. 

Dave Rice should have been fired a year earlier, or a year later.

Looks like UNLV should have gone interim for a year instead of hiring Menzies.

And now, looks like the actual best choice was to stick with Menzies.

DRF can still pull this out with a very solid hire, but tick, tick, tick, tick............

Hope she does, because this looks like a giant shit show. Should have never let MM go without a solid candidate. 

3 minutes ago, Willden4UNLV said:

Firstly, I don't see how one random lady's tweet lends any credence to the idea that Porter Moser is the new coach. 

That said, after listening to Adam Hill speak on Cofield and Co. concerning Thad Matta, I have very grave concerns considering our prospects of hiring him. To this point no reputable journalist has even heard that Matta is speaking with UNLV, in fact, Mark Anderson has heard the opposite. Hill conjectured that there is someone or a group of people spreading the Matta message to a broad group of people who are reporting it/tweeting it, etc.. and that narrative makes sense. The stream of information just seems perplexing to me, and it feels ominous at this point. I have to confess I do not believe it is real any more. DRF seems to be conducting a search in earnest. We'll just have to wait and see as those who truly are in the know seem to be tight-lipped at the moment. Hopefully there are better options on the board than Porter Moser or Mike Miller.

Mark Anderson and Adam Hill are just spitballing. They really haven’t had a clue as to what’s going on for awhile. It wasn’t long ago that Anderson said the Menzies firing rumors were bogus. Anyone that brings that up and he gets real defensive.