Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Any coach worth keeping can post winning results year 1 in this conference, and by year 2 should be hunting for a bid. Once we start winning again, the people will start showing again.

Some people think this is rocket science that takes multiple years, while most of the fans are looking at how quick UNR, USU and Fresno improved and thinking "why not us?" Besides, everyone knew MM was like the 4th or 5th choice based on the clusterphuk of last search. He was fighting uphill before he even got here.

LOLOLOLOL

year 1.

Look at us.

Look at them.

See difference?

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Yeah, they play good basketball.

You're right. They didn't take over rosters with more players that had 3-4 years of MWC experience than UNLV had players on entire roster.

The only thing a big name coach will do is sell tickets his first year. After that, the product has to be worth paying for.

Muss told a story about his first year. He was passing out tickets at his gym just to get butts in the seats.  Two years later, his wife's family was coming to town and he couldn't get tickets.

Winning cures everything.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

You're right. They didn't take over rosters with more players that had 3-4 years of MWC experience than UNLV had players on entire roster.

And the next coach can be in a similar situation if he can convince Marv's guys to stay. If he wants them to. If not, just pilfer the transfer market. You don't need guys with 3-4 years of experience anymore. Sure it helps, but good coaching is the most important thing. We haven't had that since Kruger left.

52 minutes ago, noloveforrebels said:

who cares--the whole team can leave--we can find better walk ons--also leaves more open scholarships--stay tune for thursday until i hear different

The fact that we had a bunch of walk ons taking minutes from scholarship players makes your point so valid. All this FBI stuff is going to have a lot of elite players reopening recruitment.

5 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

It's so weird how phenomenal you think Marv was. 

Here's a question for you: do you think Marv will be in the conversation for any HC openings from even remotely decent programs, or will he be stuck being wooed by Cal Poly-type schools?

Why do you think that is?

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And the next coach can be in a similar situation if he can convince Marv's guys to stay. If he wants them to. If not, just pilfer the transfer market. You don't need guys with 3-4 years of experience anymore. Sure it helps, but good coaching is the most important thing. We haven't had that since Kruger left.

"Some people think this is rocket science that takes multiple years, while most of the fans are looking at how quick UNR, USU and Fresno improved and thinking "why not us?"

Good player and experience helps.

No players and desperation recruiting doesn't.

You can't look at at Fresno, USU and Reno and expect year 1, "why not us" results when the situations are entirely the EXACT opposite.

A few more players leave...we're in EXACT opposite situation again...

6 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

It's so weird how phenomenal you think Marv was. 

Here's a question for you: do you think Marv will be in the conversation for any HC openings from even remotely decent programs, or will he be stuck being wooed by Cal Poly-type schools?

Why do you think that is?

I think marv is phenomenal?...my point is in the post above. Address the differences in the programs? Are they the same situations? The year 1s are different entirely.

Marv had recruiting flaws. Marv had coaching flaws. He still is being compared unfairly though. Make sense? Or hard to comprehend?

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

I think marv is phenomenal?...my point is in the post below. Address the differences in the programs? Are they the same situations? The year 1s are different entirely.

Marv had recruiting flaws. Marv had coaching flaws. He still is being compared unfairly though. Make sense? Or hard to comprehend?

The way you talk about him, he was right on the cusp of achieving greatness here. If everyone could have just been a little more patient and waited 3-4 more years.

Havent answered my question: do you think Marv gets any interest from even semi-relevant schools?

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 minute ago, VincentVegaBond said:

The way you talk about him, he was right on the cusp of achieving greatness here. If everyone could have just been a little more patient and waited 3-4 more years.

Havent answered my question: do you think Marv gets any interest from even semi-relevant schools?

Well you're wrong. I simply believed we had foundation and next years team looked better. Add in Juiston and improved youth with the experienced they gained.

I don't have faith in the UNLV searches. I don't think the next hire will be a huge splash and I think he will need a few years himself to rebuild if even a couple more leave. Not everyone will be happy.

"Some people think this is rocket science that takes multiple years, while most of the fans are looking at how quick UNR, USU and Fresno improved and thinking "why not us?"

What are your thoughts on this?

Was UNLV year 1 comparable to what any of the MWC coaches took over year 1 at UNR, FSU and USU? Using logic and reason?

SInce you butted into this conversation, you answer me that simple question and I'll answer yours.

Because I guess disagreeing with this statement means I think Marv is phenomenal?

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

Well you're wrong. I simply believed we had foundation and next years team looked better. Add in Juiston and improved youth with the experienced they gained.

I don't have faith in the UNLV searches. I don't think the next hire will be a huge splash and I think he will need a few years himself to rebuild if even a couple more leave. Not everyone will be happy.

What are your thoughts on this?

Was UNLV year 1 comparable to what any of the MWC coaches took over year 1 at UNR, FSU and USU? Using logic and reason?

SInce you butted into this conversation, you answer me that simple question and I'll answer yours.

Because I guess disagreeing with this statement means I think Marv is phenomenal?

Its not only that statement but all your views on Marv and your clear disappointment he was canned.

To answer your question, those teams were not nearly in the shambles we were when Marv took over. Way easier to turn around in a year than us.  Point made.

My biggest issue is in year 3 Marv was not only losing, but getting obliterated by every decent team on the menu. Absolutely awful "progress" for year 3.

Some ppl predicted we'd be way better next year but I dont see it. We were an absolutely terrible shooting team yet all we did basically was shoot 3's. Where was our shooting going to come from? We were an atrocious defensive team too, and had big questions for next year regarding poi...... i'll stop there, basically we'd be a CBI team at very best in Marv's year 4.

Now for you to answer my question?

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

15 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Its not only that statement but all your views on Marv and your clear disappointment he was canned.

To answer your question, those teams were not nearly in the shambles we were when Marv took over. Way easier to turn around in a year than us.  Point made.

My biggest issue is in year 3 Marv was not only losing, but getting obliterated by every decent team on the menu. Absolutely awful "progress" for year 3.

Some ppl predicted we'd be way better next year but I dont see it. We were an absolutely terrible shooting team yet all we did basically was shoot 3's. Where was our shooting going to come from? We were an atrocious defensive team too, and had big questions for next year regarding poi...... i'll stop there, basically we'd be a CBI team at very best in Marv's year 4.

Now for you to answer my question?

I saw stability.

I now see another reset. Another rebuild. 

That's not marvelous Marv. That's just my opinion until otherwise shown differently. So far not loving the downhill rumors.

We were a 38% team in conference. Nearly 10% better than last season. Players get better. We'll never know. Debate is useless at this point.

Semi relevant? Power 5? No.

Lower mid major? I see why not..he was showing progress of a rebuild here and hes shiwn he can dominate a lower conference.

People just didnt like he didnt have huge wins or NCAA pedigree...itd be a shame of we hire a guy.....I'll just shut up now.