Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

7 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Tis..........she put herself out there with expectations :foottap:

At least at UNLV..........not sure if the VA Tech #4 Seed coach was her hire.

Regardless............she put herself out there on this next UNLV hire.

1) Big name / known name

2) Worth the supposed $2.8 MILLION per year

3) A Coach who can win another national championship

None of that sounds like the guy from Wofford, Buffalo or NMSU   

Doesn't she have to "interview" a min number of candidates, including a mix of candidates?  This takes a few days.

People (mostly those that were so adamant that Menzies would be given another season) are being extremely impatient/pessimistic about the process.

Spooonhour was hired March 29th. Kruger was hired on March 16th, Rice April 10th, Menzies April 16th. 

One thing is for sure, this search is already better than the last one which had nonstop Twitter leaks from TKM then potential candidates would respond in kind. 

2 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

can someone tl;dr this thread for me?

Menzies fired!

Were getting Rick Pitino!

No we aren’t.  But Thad Matta is coming to Vegas! 

We may have to settle for Jason Kid

We have $2.8 million a year to offer 

DRF will probably screw this up and hire some unknown 

At least it’s not TKM doing the hiring 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

9 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

People (mostly those that were so adamant that Menzies would be given another season) are being extremely impatient/pessimistic about the process.

Spooonhour was hired March 29th. Kruger was hired on March 16th, Rice April 10th, Menzies April 16th. 

One thing is for sure, this search is already better than the last one which had nonstop Twitter leaks from TKM then potential candidates would respond in kind. 

Pot kettle black 

are you maga?

8 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Menzies fired!

Were getting Rick Pitino!

No we aren’t.  But Thad Matta is coming to Vegas! 

We may have to settle for Jason Kid

We have $2.8 million a year to offer 

DRF will probably screw this up and hire some unknown 

At least it’s not TKM doing the hiring 

I can't wait for the UNR coaching thread one...will be even worse. 

1 hour ago, RebelTexan said:

Doesn't she have to "interview" a min number of candidates, including a mix of candidates?  This takes a few days.

Not really, there’s just a lot of well connected, successful coaches that are interested. Frank Martin has been interested in UNLV for a long time. Don’t think UNLV is interested with his buyout number. 

The Mike Miller and Jason Kidd rumors are interesting. Not completely sure about Miller’s coaching but he’s very well connected and would pull in some unreal recruiting classes. His personality is the complete opposite of Dave Rice but he’s inexperienced as HC.  Like Thad, he’s close with LeBron James who is a part time resident in Las Vegas. 

Kidd had Grg on the staff in Milwaukee, Stacey Augmon would return to the sidelines. Has the backing of Elaine Wynn also. 

DRF is well aware of the last coaching search and made it a point in her press conference that people shouldn’t feed into rumorsf about coaches campaigning for the job since they may be leveraging their own situation.

Ultimately, it’s Thad’s job to have if he wants it.  

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I have a bad feeling that Marvin Menzies was fired for nothing.  They reached out to Frank Martin this weekend.  That would be a terrible hire.

LMAO 

Your post made sense until I read the second and third sentences.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

can someone tl;dr this thread for me?

Find a java applet for a countup clock and set t0 to the time of the presser.

Or just play Yakety Sax in your head while staring at this gif for 44 pages:

giphy.gif

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

52 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

They are doing this by the book.  That is why you are hearing new names pop up like Frank Martin and Buzz Williams.  But make no mistake, the target is Matta.  If this is the case, I'd imagine we'll have a new coach by Friday.

6 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I doubt it. Nevada doesn't have a 30 year old National Championship to reminisce about. We know where we stand in the grand scheme.

It’s just that UNLV is one of the winningist programs in history of d1 basketball. Like we call y’all yall UNR

3 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I doubt it. Nevada doesn't have a 30 year old National Championship to reminisce about. We know where we stand in the grand scheme.

Give it time, you’ll be reminiscing about the CBI  run. 

A question for nevada southern fans. It's probably hard to talk for the majority of nevada southern fans but you know them the best.  Will nevada southern fans embrace anyone less than a proven winner higher profile coach?:shrug: