Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

I remember another video where a camera came in and like only 2 players were paying attention and Goodluck Okonoboh was like making faces at the camera n shit and Max Good smacked him on the back of the head....lmfao.

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Schroyer one of the reasons Hutson bolted back to SDSU? Basically kinda pushed over Dave Rice in a lot of ways and Hutson saw the lack of leadership and got the fk out?

Hutson was given the title of "associate head coach" when he was hired and clearly didn't like it that an assistant supposedly beneath him was taking over at times.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

I'd be thrilled if Portland fired Terry Porter and hired Dave Rice or Marvelous Marvin Menzies.  Both guys can recruit.

Dave Rice works very hard on recruiting and puts an emphasis on it, but individually he is over-rated as a recruiter.  He was involved with getting Jimmer to BYU and that what made his reputation as a recruiter, but Jimmer and his family were LDS so how tough a sell is that to get them to consider a full ride to BYU?  In his first stint at UNLV, when he was an assistant for 11 years, he didn't really contribute much as a recruiter.  When he was hired back as HC at UNLV he hired and maintained a "Dream Team" of recruiters as his assistants (Hutson and Schoyer initially, followed by Simon and Ryan Miller) and player development and game day coaching were kind of neglected.  Augmon was his "defensive consultant" and did help bring in one major recruit (Christian Wood).

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Two weeks ago all these guys with "sources" were saying Pitino would be the new coach. The money was there.

Now it's Matta.  And once again, the money is there.

They now know for sure the deal is done. Thad coming to Vegas is not a secret. But the reasons for waiting a week are only known by a couple of special posters who can't share that top secret info.  And not even the media knows that Thad is coming.  Only message board wennies are privy to that info.

You guys fall for this shit every time. 

In a couple of weeks you will hire the coach from UCI or Wofford. And then you'll put your best spin on it. 

Gosh you are going to look dumb soon. 

I wish it were us. but I think if she really was just talking to frank martin, all bets are off on her already having someone lined up. probably going to arizona, lol.

and this may have been mentioned, but Thad Matta's buyout from Ohio St for year 3 (final year) is just under $3 mill.

1 minute ago, Greedy Reb said:

Gosh you are going to look dumb soon. 

Maybe. But your entire fan base has looked dumb after your past coaching searches.  And right now, it appears history is repeating itself.

There are just too many oddities to take this rumor seriously. 

Honestly, I doubt Thad coaches anywhere next season.  And why would he?  He makes 100k a month and all he has to do is wake up.

I think he's waiting for the Butler job to open up.  And that's a job he might leave for even if you do hire him.

Seriously though, I hope you make the right hire, name brand or not.  DRF cannot F this up, or Vegas is the new San Jose.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Maybe. But your entire fan base has looked dumb after your past coaching searches.  And right now, it appears history is repeating itself.

Honestly, I doubt Thad coaches anywhere next season.  And why would he?  He makes 100k a month and all he has to do is wake up.

I think he's waiting for the Butler job to open up.  And that's a job he might leave for even if you do hire him.

Seriously though, I hope you make the right hire, name brand or not.  DRF cannot F this up, or Vegas is the new San Jose.

Can you say denial?

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

I wish it were us. but I think if she really was just talking to frank martin, all bets are off on her already having someone lined up.

If she's talking to Martin, the good news is she's aiming high. The bad news is she was telling the truth when she said they hadn't spoken to anyone and told everyone to not buy the hype.

She very well may be starting from scratch.  But even if she is, there are plenty of good coaches available that aren't the big name guys.  I bet you never heard of Craig Smith until USU hired him.  Had you heard of Muss before he took the job at God's favorite U?

Barack Obama

8 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I would honestly quit commenting on the subject and just take a sit back and wait approach. 

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

If she's talking to Martin, the good news is she's aiming high. The bad news is she was telling the truth when she said they hadn't spoken to anyone and told everyone to not buy the hype.

She very well may be starting from scratch.  But even if she is, there are plenty of good coaches available that aren't the big name guys.  I bet you never heard of Craig Smith until USU hired him.  Had you heard of Muss before he took the job at God's favorite U?

It’s not her decision despite how it looks on the surface 

10 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Hard to see how history is repeating itself. TKM and Jessup were as awful as it gets. The Regent spectacle was a nightmare that has been done away with, and we are about to pay close to triple what what any other team in the MW pays the HC role. Don't get me wrong, UNLV has been a joke, but money talks and UNLV has it this time. 

2 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

I would honestly quit commenting on the subject and just take a sit back and wait approach. 

I can do both.

Dude, if I'm wrong I will be happily wrong.

I want you to get a good coach.  Not even Rebels deserve to be so shitty for so long.  And this conference needs some at large bids.  We should be getting at least 3 in every year.

Barack Obama

6 minutes ago, Gator 82 said:

It’s not her decision despite how it looks on the surface 

This is the same kind of shit you guys were saying last go around.  There is always some mystery money man calling the shots, right up to the point you are forced to admit it was all  bullshit.

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

This is the same kind of shit you guys were saying last go around.  There is always some mystery money man calling the shots, right up to the point you are forced to admit it was all  bullshit.

Are you sure you're not a UNLV fan? 10 out of your last 16 posts are about UNLV. Your team just got an at large bid to the dance. Shouldn't you be enjoying it instead of worrying about what UNLV is doing?

Allrighty folks I have changed the thread title - Menzies firing watch is now history...........now we turn the attention & clock to the DRF BIG NAME HIRING that she said would happen in the Friday 3/15 presser at 4:30 :sh*tfan:

This we are at roughly 49 hours and awaiting the BIG NAME that will lead the UNLV basketball program in 2019/20  :cheer::cheer:

9 minutes ago, Cheek Patch said:

Are you sure you're not a UNLV fan? 10 out of your last 16 posts are about UNLV. Your team just got an at large bid to the dance. Shouldn't you be enjoying it instead of worrying about what UNLV is doing?

I can't help it. Its like watching the same train wreck every three years or so.

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

It’s amazing that you can manage to walk forward without running into walls all the time  when you’re constantly looking backwards. I don’t recall there being any talk of big money boosters last time either. All your questions will be answered in due time so in the meantime just sit back and enjoy the ride.