Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

10 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

I see a decent amount of support online for Mike Miller. What’s the appeal there? 

Maybe @UofMTigers could shed a little light? 

I hope you don't take him...dude has years of playing experience along with an NBA Championship ring. He spent 7 years in Memphis playing for the Grizz so he knows this city trough and through...that makes him great at recruiting high level local kids like Tyler Harris, James Wiseman, and DJ Jeffries.

He also ran an AAU team that has several three and four star recruits on it...so the hope is with Penny and Miller we can load up on talented local kids.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, PlayersinVegas said:

Matta or bust, Hoiberg is solid as well, like  Frank too cool brotha!

I really want Matta. I've been researching the work he did with Ohio State and the way his teams played. It would be nice to finally have the coach with deep Xs and Os.

6 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

I see a decent amount of support online for Mike Miller. What’s the appeal there? 

Maybe @UofMTigers could shed a little light? 

The appeal is his brother. If you can get Miller's recruits with even an ounce of ability to coach, they'll go far. Presumably. 

1 minute ago, Jersey Rebels said:

The appeal is his brother. If you can get Miller's recruits with even an ounce of ability to coach, they'll go far. Presumably. 

Well, we tried this approach with Rice and it didn't go very far.

9 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

7 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Well, we tried this approach with Rice and it didn't go very far.

Well, the X factor would be if Mike could coach. But if matta ends up falling through I would feel uneasy going with another unproven coach/assistant at a time where this next hire is so important. 

Just now, BleedRed702 said:

Well, the X factor would be if Mike could coach. But if matta ends up falling through I would feel uneasy going with another unproven coach/assistant at a time where this next hire is so important. 

Can Mike coach? It's hard for me to trust a hire like that with no track record. The Rice disaster makes me uneasy.

1) Matta

2) Hoiberg

3) Alford

if they all say 'no thanks' you need to regroup and hire a search firm.

that said Matta and Hoiberg may want to see what UCLA does before talking to UNLV

mem skyline sig.jpeg

17 hours ago, toonkee said:

The only person I believe is Ernie. 

Wait, what? I dont recall him dropping any inside info that doesnt come from the Tark era on here. Did I miss it?

As much as I go in on rosegreen he dropped the Friday am firing. Rebelbacker dropped some great stuff. I am no insider, but I tell what im hearing because people here care.

4 minutes ago, qwelish said:

Wait, what? I dont recall him dropping any inside info that doesnt come from the Tark era on here. Did I miss it?

As much as I go in on rosegreen he dropped the Friday am firing. Rebelbacker dropped some great stuff. I am no insider, but I tell what im hearing because people here care.

The information about firing of MM been float around since mid November. Just got to know where to look. Yes, Backer know his stuffs....

2 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Can Mike coach? It's hard for me to trust a hire like that with no track record. The Rice disaster makes me uneasy.

I didnt have a huge problem with Daves x&o coaching.

He recruited soft players who did not respect him. He also took too long to recruit the most important position in college bball, pg. 

No coincidence Marv and Dave were both canned the year before their big pg recruit got here. Thats a mistake 

30 minutes ago, qwelish said:

I didnt have a huge problem with Daves x&o coaching.

He recruited soft players who did not respect him. He also took too long to recruit the most important position in college bball, pg. 

No coincidence Marv and Dave were both canned the year before their big pg recruit got here. Thats a mistake 

Rice was a horrible X&Os coach...like historically bad. It wasn't because of his lack of knowledge, but his poor communication skills and leadership ability. During games when the heat was on to make real-time adjustments....he couldn't handle the pressure. He's the type that needs time to prepare and make decisions following a procedure/process. I pointed this out during his tenure at UNLV and most other rebel fans hated me for it.

Great example of this was in the NCAA Tourney game against Cal.....after the game was over Cal assistants were snickering to the media that Rice/UNLV were so discombobulated when they ran a zone defense, that when Cal switched to man-to-man they didn't even realize it and were attacking as if Cal was still in a Zone D. Just flat out embarrassing.

As far as him being a leader, Rice let himself get walked all over by his assistants. We hired Heath Schroyer as a 3rd/4th assistant after he got shitcanned by Wyoming and Rice just let him take over the team. We lost a great PG recruit because Schroyer insisted we recruit Daquan Cook instead who was horrible. Plus Schroyer would take over the Xs and Os during the game because Rice was so incompetent. Here's him taking on the crucial role as the table for the whiteboard while Schroyer draws up a play and coaches the team:

daveerrr.png

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

25 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

Rice was a horrible X&Os coach...like historically bad. It wasn't because of his lack of knowledge, but his poor communication skills and leadership ability. During games when the heat was on to make real-time adjustments....he couldn't handle the pressure. He's the type that needs time to prepare and make decisions following a procedure/process. I pointed this out during his tenure at UNLV and most other rebel fans hated me for it.

Great example of this was in the NCAA Tourney game against Cal.....after the game was over Cal assistants were snickering to the media that Rice/UNLV were so discombobulated when they ran a zone defense, that when Cal switched to man-to-man they didn't even realize it and were attacking as if Cal was still in a Zone D. Just flat out embarrassing.

As far as him being a leader, Rice let himself get walked all over by his assistants. We hired Heath Schroyer as a 3rd/4th assistant after he got shitcanned by Wyoming and Rice just let him take over the team. We lost a great PG recruit because Schroyer insisted we recruit Daquan Cook instead who was horrible. Plus Schroyer would take over the Xs and Os during the game because Rice was so incompetent. Here's him taking on the crucial role as the table for the whiteboard while Schroyer draws up a play and coaches the team:

daveerrr.png

I remember another video where a camera came in and like only 2 players were paying attention and Goodluck Okonoboh was like making faces at the camera n shit and Max Good smacked him on the back of the head....lmfao.

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Schroyer one of the reasons Hutson bolted back to SDSU? Basically kinda pushed over Dave Rice in a lot of ways and Hutson saw the lack of leadership and got the fk out?

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

3 hours ago, Rebels2k3 said:

As of now, here are my top 5 choices for the job -

1) Thad Matta

2) Fred Hoiberg

3) Frank Martin

4) Steve Alford

5) Jason Kidd

If you switch 4 and 5 I would agree with that list. I would MUCH rather have Kidd than Alford, lol.

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

I remember another video where a camera came in and like only 2 players were paying attention and Goodluck Okonoboh was like making faces at the camera n shit and Max Good smacked him on the back of the head....lmfao.

I can't remember for sure, but wasn't Schroyer one of the reasons Hutson bolted back to SDSU? Basically kinda pushed over Dave Rice in a lot of ways and Hutson saw the lack of leadership and got the fk out?

that's exactly the way I saw it. Rice had a great defense coach in Hutson, but let Shroyer run the defense. Insane.

Two weeks ago all these guys with "sources" were saying Pitino would be the new coach. The money was there.

Now it's Matta.  And once again, the money is there.

They now know for sure the deal is done. Thad coming to Vegas is not a secret. But the reasons for waiting a week are only known by a couple of special posters who can't share that top secret info.  And not even the media knows that Thad is coming.  Only message board wennies are privy to that info.

You guys fall for this shit every time. 

In a couple of weeks you will hire the coach from UCI or Wofford. And then you'll put your best spin on it. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Two weeks ago all these guys with "sources" were saying Pitino would be the new coach. The money was there.

Now it's Matta.  And once again, the money is there.

They now know for sure the deal is done. Thad coming to Vegas is not a secret. But the reasons for waiting a week are only known by a couple of special posters who can't share that top secret info.  And not even the media knows that Thad is coming.  Only message board wennies are privy to that info.

You guys fall for this shit every time. 

In a couple of weeks you will hire the coach from UCI or Wofford. And then you'll put your best spin on it. 

I'm just as skeptical.

Hoping for the best. Expecting the worst.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Frank Martin would be an interesting hire. With Las Vegas drawing in the recruits and a coach like Martin who doesn’t put up with lack of respect or discipline, it could be a good match. Not sure how interested he would be. He likely gets paid well in the SEC.