Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

Just now, Jersey Rebels said:

That might be where you're having an issue. It's not Wynn footing the bill for Matta, it's two boosters that are combining their money for Matta. One of the boosters is doing it so Pitino won't be at UNLV, purposefully, from what I know. 

I mean I didn't mean to insinuate that is where funding is coming from for Matta.

If funding is from Wynn we all gotta expect Pitino or Kidd right? if that was forefront? Unless DRF developed some sports bond with Elaine and she talked her into Matta.

I hope Matta is a sealed deal and all these confident Rebel Netters and talking heads are as right as they think they'll be....for the sake of our program.

It really can't be much less to be honest.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

16 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I'd take Pitino over Marv, but yeah, I'd probably feel really dirty and be forced to take a long shower after every Rebel game.

And just to clarify, NOT feeling dirty and taking a long shower in the ways ph did with Marv and Rice!!

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

For what its worth Seth Davis is reporting Mike Hopkins and Thad Matta have emerged as the leading candidates for the UCLA job.

This is why again if everyone is in fact on board, its a done deal, there should be a press conference Monday, Tuesday at the latest, announcing Matta as the head coach.  If it is a done deal you don’t drag this “dog and pony” show on very long.

You don’t want more openings, more time, for P5 schools to swoop in and poach him.  Plus he needs to get started examining the roster, putting a staff together and begin recruiting.

If this thing drags well into the week and isn’t finalized by the end of the week then he may very well be taking UNLV for a ride as others have done in the past, and as he did to Georgia this time a year ago.

Doesn’t take that long for a no brainer to be finalized if everyone is on board unless that isn’t the case which is what I’ve head.   

https://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/thad-matta-overwhelming-favorite-unlv/488012

Report: Thad Matta is ‘overwhelming favorite’ for UNLV job

March 16, 2019

Thad Matta beard

Thad Matta may be ready to get back into coaching.

According to Aaron Torres of The Athletic, Matta is regarded as the “overwhelming favorite” for the UNLV job that came available after the firing of Marvin Menzies. Rick Pitino, who has denied interest in the job previously, is “not a factor.”

Have asked a bunch of people about the UNLV job since it opened yesterday. Consensus is Thad Matta is the overwhelming favorite. Dont know if he will take it, but its likely his if he wants it. And no, Rick Pitino is not a real option there, as entertaining as it might be

Matta quit Ohio State in 2017, citing health issues that were making it harder for him to coach at a high level. The last time he was linked to a high-level job, he turned down the opportunity, saying he wasn’t ready yet to return to coaching. If Matta takes this opportunity, he’s clearly feeling better and thinks he’s prepared for the demands of an NCAA coaching job once more.

8 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

For what its worth Seth Davis is reporting Mike Hopkins and Thad Matta have emerged as the leading candidates for the UCLA job.

This is why again if everyone is in fact on board, its a done deal, there should be a press conference Monday, Tuesday at the latest, announcing Matta as the head coach.  If it is a done deal you don’t drag this “dog and pony” show on very long.

You don’t want more openings, more time, for P5 schools to swoop in and poach him.  Plus he needs to get started examining the roster, putting a staff together and begin recruiting.

If this thing drags well into the week and isn’t finalized by the end of the week then he may very well be taking UNLV for a ride as others have done in the past, and as he did to Georgia this time a year ago.

Doesn’t take that long for a no brainer to be finalized if everyone is on board unless that isn’t the case which is what I’ve head.   

Sheeot thats what im afraid of. If Thad is indeed "taking UNLV for a ride", we have to be one of the most snake-bitten programs ever.

Time to find out exactly what DRF is worth....

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

7 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

yes, this is what concerns me. of course it 'is his if he wants it'..

but if UCLA wants him, they'll get him. or, he might be fulfilling his requirement with both.

Just now, 4UNLV said:

yes, this is what concerns me. of course it 'is his if he wants it'..

but if UCLA wants him, they'll get him. or, he might be fulfilling his requirement with both.

I don't understand his "requirement" if its just to turn down offers from everyone. You would think he would have a requirement to actually accept an offer.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

10 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Ernie, do you have any reason to believe this isn't anything more than a Twitter rumor?

It would be awesome for UNLV, the MW and even the state, if he was coming, but if he's talking to UCLA, he may be aiming higher, assuming he is even returning to coaching next season.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

15 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

Well shit

3 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

I don't understand his "requirement" if its just to turn down offers from everyone. You would think he would have a requirement to actually accept an offer.

It sounds like unemployment benefits. They get a check but they at least have to pretend to be looking for work.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

44 minutes ago, Ernie Baer said:

I'd say expect next Thursday. Just an informed opinion. 

34 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

as for Pitino.. I would be pissed if UNLV turned him down, and then Reno hired him when Muss leaves and goes to USC. :P

You can bet your bottom dollar Muss is leaving this year. He will be able to triple his salary and pick between a bunch of great schools with all the FBI issues going on. Sun setting on UNR. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Reb said:

You can bet your bottom dollar Muss is leaving this year. He will be able to triple his salary and pick between a bunch of great schools with all the FBI issues going on. Sun setting on UNR. 

In the last 20 years we’ve had 4 coaches. 3 of them have gone to the NCAA tournament.   2 of them went to multiple tournaments.  We will be fine.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater