Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

38 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Only ph would say hiring a coach who has been to two final fours in the past 12 years, and who coached one of the most successful programs in the nation would be a 3 out of 5 stars hire. :hmmm:

Just saw a post on twitter... Matta has more Final Fours than Manzies has tournament wins and top 150 schedules combined.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

2 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Not sure if this is trolling but disagree. Some of them obviously are not. Some could be contributors for a good team with a competent coach.

They are all projects.  MM recruited as if he was still at a low mid major.  New coach will want his guys.  Might get a few guys but another transition is coming.  Honestly this is for the best.  He was not the guy Unlv deserves.  It was obvious.  Good luck.  

1 minute ago, slappy said:

They are all projects.  MM recruited as if he was still at a low mid major.  New coach will want his guys.  Might get a few guys but another transition is coming.  Honestly this is for the best.  He was not the guy Unlv deserves.  It was obvious.  Good luck.  

I agree with that and if Matta is indeed hired I wouldn't have a problem with any of them fleeing or being benched by him. But he could certainly use guys like Hardy, Juiston, and Diong as contributors on a good team.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

I honestly think we’re going to have a wash, rinse, repeat situation.  UNLV basketball has become toxic.

Crazy that someone who has been so wrong about everything UNLV basketball for a long time doesn't even take a breath between a whole new slew of hot takes. Give it a rest. 

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Thad Matta will be fired if he doesn’t make the NCAA Tournament in two years.  That is INSANE but not as insane as Menzies’ situation.  That was the standard Menzies was held to.

It's good to see that you're still a dumb ass. 

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

It's a bit odd you're the only one finding negative views towards well-established winners like Matta, but were enthusiastically on board with mediocre bums like Marv and Rice. 

It’s not odd. He’s just dumb and trying to deflect on how wrong he has been this whole year on “how toxic UNLV has become”. 

2 minutes ago, PlayersinVegas said:

lol y’all hopping on this guy for having an other opinion. This is grade school now lmao

Proof you haven't been around this board for very long.

I honestly try my best not to bag on him, but his posts are often so flabbergasting it's irresistable.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

12 hours ago, Cheek Patch said:

You got some names?

Thad reminds me of Bill Belichick. That has a  coaching tree is pretty wide and deep, he has a lot of choices and is probably the most connected coach in the country. Look at how many of his assistants go on to be head coach. 

As far as names go. I’ve heard Paulus, Ben Johnson (Xavier), Mark Phelps if Miller is in trouble. There’s a lot of choices for Thad since he is so well connected. It’s going to be an A+ staff

8 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

Thad reminds me of Bill Belichick. That has a  coaching tree is pretty wide and deep, he has a lot of choices and is probably the most connected coach in the country. Look at how many of his assistants go on to be head coach. 

As far as names go. I’ve heard Paulus, Ben Johnson (Xavier), Mark Phelps if Miller is in trouble. There’s a lot of choices for Thad since he is so well connected. It’s going to be an A+ staff

You seem pretty confidant it’s already a done deal and he’s already working on a staff. I sure hope to Hell youre right

Just now, soupslam1 said:

How many scholarships does UNLV have to give for the new coach? Do you think any players will leave or get run by the new coach? 

Depends. If we hire Matta or another established winner who's a huge step up from Mediocre Marv (should be a given), any player would be crazy to leave. Good riddance to those who decide to.

If disaster strikes again and we hire another bum, could be a mass exodus.

Gotta wait and see who the new coach will be.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

I still dont see the connection with Thad Matta.

All the sources claim he lives here. But he doesn't. He lives next to Butler. Neither does his daughter, at least anymore.

It all seems like regurgitated info.

Jason Kidd name getting more run.

Which if money is coming from Elaine...the dots connect.

Project hire if you go that route. College is a different game. NBA guys hardly work out in college.

Meh.

All is well, For Rice is gone.