Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

10 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Alford is the way to go. He's taken 2 different programs to the Sweet 16 along with taking NM and Iowa to the Round of 32...UCLA will be paying him for the next 2 years so he'll take a 700k contract.

Alford>Menzies

I don’t think Alford checks all the boxes that DRF said the next coach would have to possess. He also wouldn’t go over well with most Rebel fans either.

10 minutes ago, VincentVegaBond said:

If Matta is hired, he'll be fired after 2 years if he schedules nothing but cupcakes, beats nothing but terrible sub .500 teams, and draws 2000 per game at the Mack, like Mediocre Marv did.

I don’t think his name alone will draw fans like people think. UNLV really never advertised these past teams like they did with their previous teams. You know media blitz, all the bells and whistles...

But I can’t see them scheduling big next year in this position and if they do, and the current roster stays they should be well not to get blown out.

12 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

Also random story, when Rice was fired and everyone was wondering who would be the coach. I was talking to my coworker eating at a Firehouse Subs saying how Augmon would be a terrible hire. I see my coworker turning red and giving me looks. I didn't know that Stacey Augmon just sat at the table next to me. I still to this day hope he didn't hear me because I was railing against him. Hahaha

If it makes you feel any better, I’m sure it happens quite often. After Boise’s loss to Nevada:

22 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

PH can you honestly say with a straight face that you have more faith in Marvin then you do Thad? Thad is a different animal. It's comparing a Kia to a Ferrari.

Thad is a better coach, but this isn’t a guarantee.  I can only give the hire ⭐⭐⭐️ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️.  How do we know his health issues won’t return?  Not trying to be an asshole, but he looks like an old 51.

1 minute ago, ph90702 said:

Thad is a better coach, but this isn’t a guarantee.  I can only give the hire ⭐⭐⭐️ out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️.  How do we know his health issues won’t return?  Not trying to be an asshole, but he looks like an old 51.

Only ph would say hiring a coach who has been to two final fours in the past 12 years, and who coached one of the most successful programs in the nation would be a 3 out of 5 stars hire. :hmmm:

6 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Only ph would say hiring a coach who has been to two final fours in the past 12 years, and who coached one of the most successful programs in the nation would be a 3 out of 5 stars hire. :hmmm:

His tenure at Ohio State ended with losing and major health problems.  Who’s to say that his health problems won’t return?

Just now, ph90702 said:

His tenure at Ohio State ended with losing and major health problems.  Who’s to say that his health problems won’t return?

who's to say that somebody doesn't get hit by a bus. and we don't even know who the new coach is.

8 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

who's to say that somebody doesn't get hit by a bus. and we don't even know who the new coach is.

That’s not foreseeable.  Hiring somebody with health problems and then having them recur is foreseeable.

10 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

It's a bit odd you're the only one finding negative views towards well-established winners like Matta, but were enthusiastically on board with mediocre bums like Marv and Rice. 

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Do you MWCBoard?  nobody gets hit by a bus.  They get choo choo'd.  choo choo train GIF

Just now, VincentVegaBond said:

It's a bit odd you're the only one finding negative views towards well-established winners like Matta, but were enthusiastically on board with mediocre bums like Marv and Rice. 

Not odd at all when you put it into context of his motive, to try and be the smartest person in the room. 

The answer is right in front of you:. Tony Sanchez. Great recruiter and one hell of a motivator.  He's got tireless energy-- I think he could handle coaching both football and basketball. Lots of other high school coaches do this 

Hate to hear this.  But I did call it years ago.  He was the very worst coach in Unlv history.  Numbers don’t lie.  Guy is a low mid major hc or a good assistant in the upper or mid major level.  This was obvious from the start.