Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV Hires TJ Otzelberger for $1.1 million a year

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

My friend, I'm older than 37. I have a UNLV license plate that references the glory days. I was born here. I've probably missed 3 home games in the last 7 years. I don't think Kruger is the ceiling.  I think our modern counterpart is Gonzaga and I think that's our ceiling.  But like i said, it will take a special kind of coach, like Few or Tark, to realize those days again and those guys are hard to come across.  We didn't have the money in CBB or CFB back then like we do now. 

Im sorry I doubted you.

Youre the real deal, like so many of the people here. 

UNLV means so much to all of us. We bicker and fight about it because all any of us wants is to just be  good  , no GREAT again!

This is so great, but so scary too. Greatness is in the balance.

UNLV just needs to make the next, right, move.

Selling top level recruits isn't a challenge for the most part at UNLV. The excitement of the city sells itself. The facilities sell themselves. the things that aren't in place anymore though are: a full and rocking arena where the excitement is electric. A top quality coach and teacher that can take a player to his highest level of capability. You need those 2 missing ingredients to take this or any program to the next level. Muss has done that at Reno. Smith is doing that at USU and I would expect to see Hutson do that at Fresno also. They are all doing it while missing the first few factors. Recruiting won't be an issue for the right coach. Matta would find it a slam dunk.

Menzies is a good man, and was thinking long term. He probably deserved one more year. However, with the fan base declining the AD cut the cord. If she was willing to do that I hope to hell she has a strong candidate lined up, because if she doesnt and this coaching search ends up a cluster+++++ like the last one, she may be looking for a new job. 

Being an outsider I have no horse in the race, but for the benefit of the MWC, I hope you get a home run hire. 

2 minutes ago, Rebels2k3 said:

Musselman is not a serious candidate. Let's not fool ourselves. Going to UNLV would be the biggest swerve in sports since Luis Figo leaving Barcelona for Real Madrid. It ain't happening.

Would be the 2nd RED DEFECTION of a UNR coach to UNLV & this one might send them over the edge way more than Jeff Horton did in 1996 :pullhair:

The great thing about this whole thing is that we will see what the capability of this Athletic Department and Administration is at this particular time. We haven't been able to have any faith in those 2 critical players for decades. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out just to know where the leadership of UNLV is in terms of commitment to the sports programs. 

Just now, Amaru523 said:

Muss isn't coming here, but he's about to get paid.

Right now he needs to figure out how to beat SDSU. If they lose and he doesn't put together a string of wins in the Dance he'll be right where he is now for a while longer.

5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

:cheer::cheer::cheer: If she's the donor, all good with me as she's got lots of $$ to burn 

I would imagine that if she is invoIved that she is also going to expect her $$ to be well spent which is encouraging to me.

43 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So they're saying Matta lives in Vegas already?

image.jpeg.85337404734b2db8e83cf40944d2d626.jpeg

The video I posted of Thad doing an interview is from a few months ago. 

When asked what hes been up to he said, 

"Just tryin to be cool and put food on the table man. Just redoing a home, spending a lot of time with my family. Kinda just enjoying life for once."

Where do things stand with you and possibly getting back into coaching?

"You know, idunno. The situations I was involved in this spring just weren't... right. The time just wasn't right for me, I didnt think. You know from where my family is, and that sort of thing. Its about the first time I never made a selfish decision; which im proud of. For the most part if the right thing would come along, you know, maybe i'd look at it. But we'll see what the future holds."

Do you want to coach again?

"I dunno. But like I said, I think if it was the right situation, not only for me, but for my family and something i'd be dying to get to. I think that would be what would pull me back into it."

He also talked briefly about moving his house.

He recently bought a house in Las Vegas. 

Trying not to get ahead of myself, but feeling good about the chances.

18 minutes ago, quickdraw said:

The great thing about this whole thing is that we will see what the capability of this Athletic Department and Administration is at this particular time. We haven't been able to have any faith in those 2 critical players for decades. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out just to know where the leadership of UNLV is in terms of commitment to the sports programs. 

I think firing Menzies is a big thing. It shows that they recognize that there was a problem. The same thing we went back and forth about all season. 

Next year the expectation was for the team to be about as good as the last two seasons.

DRF referenced that and said it was not good enough and she needed to be more confident that there would be more improvement.

Its honest and I can live with that.